D40 catch can

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbogu

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering where everyone is puting there catch cans on a d40 diesel, had a search and found heaps on the d22 but no d0 threads, is the factory breather line on these things just vented to atmosphere, reason i ask is there is a pipe on mine (06 mod) on the back right corner of the sump, coming from up the top and ever since i fitted the calmini 5" lift ive noticed oil all over the blue strut rods they supply in the kit that run back to the trans cross member, never noticed it before now cause there hasnt been a bright blue bit of pipe running down there!!!

Chuck up some photos and details of your installs for us all to see

cheers sean

Ok so i crawled around under there on the weekend and turns out the oil is coming from a drain pipe, for those who didnt know, it goes into the base of the oil filter so when you change it the oil runs down the pipe and into your bucket not all over the motor, turns out i had mine serviced 2 days before i noticed it!!

Dman thing is so much diferent to my gu patrol im still trying to get used to all the bits and pieces!!

cheers sean

My mechanic suggested that I install a catch can. The breather from the top of my tappet cover sends oil vapour that ends up in the intercooler. Has anyone put a catch can on a D40? any pics?

Do a search theres a thread up at the moment and mad d40 has some pics up of his, he put it in the passenger side corner near the firewall

As ONLOCK said but since I have no idea how to post a link to a thread ill post some pics up for you.
IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

I bought my catch can from Autobarn was like $88 and had to make my own fitting out of stainless steel plate.
The only hose I could find big enough was that RED stuff bought it from an engineering mob in Geelong I was anal and wanted something that could handle boost, Vac and oil.

Can you post the details of the engineering company so others can purchase some.....the anal ones!! Ha Ha

I've purchased the Provent 200 catch can as I believed it was best on the market. Of course when it arrived I saw how big the bloody thing was and it just won't fit in the same position that Mad D40 has his in. I'm looking at putting mine near the front of the car, just beside the plastic fan shroud in front of the air filter box. It's the only place I can see that will fit??

Were allowed to advertise here yeah??!?
ill post it anyways
Dez Munday & Son
#
6 Backwell St, NORTH GEELONG, VIC, 3215
#

Phone:phone (03) 5278 5722

IM unsure about the size or what the hose is called
BUT what I do know is..........
Its the size up from 12.7mm, an imperial size
And it only comes in red no other colors no black.

I put a Catch Can on my 09 D40 and its stopped the intake pipes getting oil in them, i washed my intake pipes out with Brake clean onece i installed the can.

Simon

I have a drain plug on mine but I kind of fluked it all.
where it is there was factory bolt holes tapped into the body
I utilised these bolt holes and i cut L shaped holes in the bracket so I can losten the bolts and slide the can out to empty it.
I got it all covered lol

whats tthe bemifits of having this? and where does the second hose go madd40?

The idea of a catch can is to try to seperate the oil from the fumes coming out of the crankase. Normally this oil and gunk goes back into the turbo on Diesels and the inlet manifold on petrol engines. Older trucks used to vent this direct to the atmosphere but we cant have that any more.
In short its to help your engine run smoother and cleaner

and to finish what Frontier said
Basically the origional pipe goes from the pcv valve to an in let in front of the turbo.
In plain lingo I kept the hose running from the pcv to the inlet but I just put a catch can inbetween.
And it keeps the intercooler clear of gunk it does not take much to clog those puppies up.
It is well recomended to clean the intercooler out after you install a catch can.
You will notice the idle has to re adjust and also you will notice more response in comparison.

Thats bad Engrish but I hope you guys can make sense of it.

Last edited:
Got mine in the mail today and its pretty decent quality
machined alloy with gasketc top and bottom
I now have to design a baffle to force the air thru the stainless steel wool and will be good to go
Will post pics as i get things sorted

Latest posts

Back