Alloy roll/sports bar

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Can anyone tell me or provide pics of how easily the roll bar is fixed to the tub on the ST-R dual cabs? I've got the plastic tub liner and don't particularly want to rip it off for a look.

The reason I ask is i'm thinking of having a second hand roll bar fitted at the rear of the tub for a rack. I plan to cut off the 2 legs which brace back so it doesn't look dodgy. I imagine finding a second hand/unwanted bar would be a cheaper option than getting one fabricated from new. Plan would be to eventually make up a rack basket to fit on top.

Anyone see problems arising from this? Any ideas/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Guido

The only problem I can think of is the lack of bracing on the rear bar, I would guess that just with stopping and starting that the bars own weight will buckle the top edge of the tub over time without any sort of gusseting, not sure how you go about it, or if it fits just bolt the whole bar including the original braces, might look a little strange or it might not. I've seen this done before on a Hilux and it looked fine having a second set of bars on backwards.

Can't help with how to get the bar off, if I get around to pulling mine off to fit a canopy before you do I'll let you know.

I've had my bar off. Its just a matter of undoing a bolt under the lip of the tub of each support. 4 bolts in total, takes about 5 minutes. I'm not sure I agree with shonky though, once you see how light the bar is you will see what I mean they are very thin and I really don't think that it would cause any damage to the lip of the tub under its own weight. When you take of the rear supports it would way stuff all. I would be vary careful with how much weight you put on top of it though as that could cause problems, a couple of ladders would be fine.

2nd hand bar i bought my bar for $150 no issues just minor scratches that will buff off. just so you know rough pricing.

Thanks guys.

My plan is to have 4 stubs on each corner of the racks. These will be used as locating pins for a future rack basket. I imagine with all of the basket weight going straight down the stubs right in the corners, the bars would hold up ok?

Thanks for the rough price Solja. Had a look around the net and there are a couple for sale reasonably cheap...pick up only though which makes it hard. No local wreckers have any. I'll put up a few wanted posts and see how I go.

Cheers,
Guido

Hey Guys, time to resurrect an old thread!

Well i've got my rear alloy bar on and I'm looking for advice on my basket design. It's only going to be attached for trips, it will be home made and i'm not settled on material yet.

Option 1: Typical roof basket, similar to the flash ARB variety (but not as flash!), sits on top of bars.

Option 2: Basket that sits within tub area, below roofline and finishes about 200mm above the tonneau cover. Deeper capacity, no wind resistance, but limits object height in tub. Could also add hinged doors to the top which can be locked.

So I can see pros/cons to both designs, now to decide! What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
Guido

Attachments

• Basket (Out).JPG
    Basket (Out).JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Basket (In).JPG
    Basket (In).JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 101
  • rear bar.jpg
    rear bar.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Thanks Shonky,

Can you guys ever see the need to carry an object which will be too big to fit under the basket in the tub on extended trips? Large fuel drum? Anything else as this seems to be my only concern with this design.

Guido

I have a similar project on the go. I want a semi height platform in order to carry a roof top tent yet still have a kayak on the roof racks. I am trying to decide between a custom aluminium canopy frame with chequer plate top and vinyl sides, or keeping my soft tonnau cover and modifying my sports bar to be able to carry a chequer plate platform. See pis for a better explaination of the options. Any Ideas anyone?......

I plan to have drawers in the tub too so a benefit to the custom canopy idea, is that i would have a larger space above to drawers for extra storage.
With the sports bar mod option I could strap surfboards etc. to the underside of the chequer plate platfor in order to utilise the space.

Attachments

• canopy frame1.JPG
    canopy frame1.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 64
  • canopy frame2.JPG
    canopy frame2.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 63
  • sports bar mod1.JPG
    sports bar mod1.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 63
  • sports bar mod2.JPG
    sports bar mod2.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 64
keeping my soft tonnau cover and modifying my sports bar to be able to carry a chequer plate platform.

If you are going to keep the soft cover, just get open mesh decking/walkway stuff (brain fart on jargon for it). It will be lighter and make it easier to attach stuff on top or under. In either case, you will need some stiffer along sides and in middle.

Latest posts

Back