285's on a D40? possible any mods?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubafreak

Reaction score
Hey guy looking at putting 285's on my D40, i will be getting a 2inch lift kit before i chuck some one. Anyone know if they will fit or do i need to do some modifactions? Thanks

You will possibly need new rims, 285/75/16 typically require 7.5" rim as a minimum and preferably an 8", the stock D40 alloys are a 7" rim.

oh yea i am going to go bigger rims, but was just wondering if the tyre would rub or anything when cornering or bumps etc

yeah they fit with a 2inch lift but you need wider rims. im yet to find a set of 16x8s.. if i was to put 285's on 16x7's they wouldnt be daily drivers.

G`Day Scubafreak, I have 285/50R-20 on my D40 navara on 8.5 rims. I am about to replace them for 265/70R-17 on a 8 inch rim. With 285 tyres on the navara, The Tyres are 45mm closer to the suspension and brake lines than standard. I hope this info help. Rob.C

nto sure about on full flex though. reason i only went 265/75 was cos of acceleration, braking, fuel economy, had to buy new rims, low range gearing, legalities, warranty, more load on cv's etc. 32's still look good tho

hey guys thx for the feedback really appreciate it, yea i was a bit unsure bout the legalities on the 285, maybe i will just stick to getting the 265 to keep all bases covered so to speak.

Damn you guys need to look at the Frontier forums. We all run 285 on stock rims.

of course it can be done, no one has said that it cant be done. i like to go by recomendations from what tyre manufacturers suggest, there are reasons for not putting wide tyres on small rims. and legalities if you have an accident your fucked with insurance

Damn you guys need to look at the Frontier forums. We all run 285 on stock rims.

In Aus there is some guide tyre fitters have to follow by law so most tyre places won't fit them, and if you have an accident while these tyres are fitted to the standard rims the insurance companies in Aus just deny your claim.

In Aus there is some guide tyre fitters have to follow by law so most tyre places won't fit them, and if you have an accident while these tyres are fitted to the standard rims the insurance companies in Aus just deny your claim.

Yes, tire companies do recommendation on rim size with tires but the recommended size rim for a 285 is 7.5" wide to 9.0" wide rim and the stock rims is only 7.0" wide.
If you are really worry about then how about 255?
A 255/85R16 tire is recommended to be mount on a 6.5" wide to a 8.0" wide rim. A 255 tire is also a little bit taller then a 285 so you would gain even more ground clearance.

true 255/85 would be another option, but wouldnt look anywhere near as good as a nice wide tyre. i didnt even consider that size when i got my tyres...i would rather get 305/70's damn they look good. but not till its out of warranty.

true 255/85 would be another option, but wouldnt look anywhere near as good as a nice wide tyre. i didnt even consider that size when i got my tyres...i would rather get 305/70's damn they look good. but not till its out of warranty.
I have 305/70's and I think it's a little to wide.

i spoke to dynamic a few weeks ago and they said there is no plans on releasing a 16x8, hope its true that would be awesome

i see pro comp Xterrain tyres fit a 7inch rim in 285/75 size, I want some chunky muddies pretty much cos i'm a tosser more than anything else but am wondering if its a bit OTT, do have some plans to get out bush but most of my K's will be in the city

Adr 24

Hi all

Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade but, "The overall diameter of a wheel and tyre fitted to a vehicle manufactured on or after 1 January 1973 (ADR 24) must not be more than 15 mm greater than the largest tyre size listed on the tyre placard and not more than 15 mm less than the smallest tyre size listed on the placard."

So the biggest [legal] tyre that can be fitted on a D40 with 16" rims is a 265/70. It just scraps in with a 14 mm increase. 265/75 result in a 40.5 mm increase.

So relunctantly I will be ordering 265/70s and not 265/75s this week :angry:

Bosshog

Back