Add a leaf to lift

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skippy

Reaction score
I was wondering what people thing about adding a leaf to get a little extra lift and where it could be done?
It seems like it is the cheapest way to get some lift and i wouldnt imagine there being many downfalls to it.
What kinda $ would it cost also?

From experience great for height and flex . not so great for weight or any camping load.

our utes got a custom made extra leaf. works well and we put heaps of load on them. however i did notice one of the other guys they fitted two extra leafs.

How's the ride feel?

Has anyone else done this with the d22's, there cant just be one person

Hi Skippy

Had the lift done on mine at Jack Beadhams at Redcliffe. I'm told there's a guy at Pietre that does it too. Check the Yellows!

Depends on what you need. You can get a progressive spring leaf fitted that does not affect your current ride/comfort level and comes into to play when you have a load on or you're on a lumpy track. Or you can just get an extra leaf put in.

I had all the leaves reset and an extra leaf put in. Can't remember how much it was though.

Lifted the ute almost 50mm at the back and then they wound up the torsion bars for the front. They also replaced the shackle bushes.

Had it done about two years ago and still happy. My ute is empty 99% of the time.

Alan

its really really common over here (i don't know if anyone selling leaf packs), the leaf guys to lots of them. ride is far better. our single add a leaf is fairly soft for the first bit of travel but hardens up after that.

hey skippy how did you go with the leafs? did you end up adding to the stock ones, was thinking bout doing the same but not sure if it is just better to get new ones that arent nissan!

sorry to hijack ur post but was wondering if u need to put new shocks in after you add the extra leaf,if u don't need to is it better to anyway?

Wouldnt you be better off geting new leaf springs?
I got constant load ones,and they have 2 extra leafs in them.They have 6 compared to stockys 4...

Wouldnt you be better off geting new leaf springs?
I got constant load ones,and they have 2 extra leafs in them.They have 6 compared to stockys 4...

hey mate
yeh thats what im not sure about, if its worth doing or just get new ones.. what did you go with?

sorry to hijack ur post but was wondering if u need to put new shocks in after you add the extra leaf,if u don't need to is it better to anyway?
its probably better to fit new shocks as nissans are not great, but you don't have to. stock shocks will handle a 2" lift fine, 3" might be pushing it.

Extend the shackles and get better shocks. If you want to carry extra load, fit airbags. Thats what I did anyway.....
the problem with that, apart from extended shackles being illegal in AU, your still left with a soft bendy spring which will go flat if not inverted.

the problem with that, apart from extended shackles being illegal in AU, your still left with a soft bendy spring which will go flat if not inverted.

Extended shackles??? What extended shackles... I bought it like this.... hahaha.
My "soft bendy springs" have done just fine so far.... and: its not like riding in a hilux on a rough road, is loaded every day with a tray full of tools - no problems, gives good flex offroad AND I've got cash to spend eleswere...

When and if they do "go inverted" I will replace them, but until then I am happy with the setup.

Last edited:
Had my rear springs reset 2000k's ago and added the extra leaf and changed out the Old Man Emu standard shocks to the Nitrocharger and neophrene bushes plus shackles and it's all good.

4WD is mostly empty 99% of the time and it's only loaded up when we go camping with all the fishing gear about 200kg and it handles it fine and empty is no drama's either.

f6 381, superiorcruiser, How much did that send you both back, just seems alot of people spend so much on a lift kit when they dont really need to depending on what they are getting it for

Skippy

I got mine done as i go up some rough tracks when looking for new fishing spots up north or down south so a little bit of extra height was needed.

Paid around $1500 to get it all done and it is back in the shop today to make sure everything is fine with it and re-check all the shackle bolts etc etc.

One thing i have noticed is that the car clicks and cracks in the suspension when reversing out of the driveway and on full lock but it still handles fine on the road. Have also heard that the front shock rubber boots rub through on the Nitrocharger shocks as they are too big and make contact with the steering rods or something like that so i will have a look myself today.

If its doing it on full lock it could also be you steering stops but you've probably already read that a million times on here

f6 381, superiorcruiser, How much did that send you both back, just seems alot of people spend so much on a lift kit when they dont really need to depending on what they are getting it for

I got mine for a never to be repeated price,$635 for everything 2 inch lift shocks,6 leaf springs and torsion bars...that was $600 under the going rate...:rock:

Back