New locker for the M226 rear

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone installed one of these yet? A few months ago I checked all the specs - and they should fit a Spanish STX no problems. Cheap too - on the bay for around $325 delivered! Only thing, they're a constant locker - so not great for road. Anyone got any more info on them??? Or more generally, are lockers easy to install? (especially seeing there are no air lines to worry about)

Cheers

its not a constant locker. its a mechanical locker. under load they are locked but when off load ie clutch in they are like an open diff from my understanding

Actually these type of 'lockers' are really misnamed....they should be called 'unlockers'. In normal operation they are locked but when the requirement is there for the differential to act as a differential should...ie inside wheel travel less distance than the outside wheel....they unlock. Clear as mud eh? Have a read about differentials of all sorts on How Stuff Works......HowStuffWorks "Four-wheel Drive Differential"

Am curious how this unit would work in our centre . We get a LSD where most Frontiers and Titans with the M226 dont . They get an electronic locker type unit.
My worry is this. If this unit replaces the spider gears then our LSD would still be intact I think.This might work in an open centre but in an already LSD centre wouldnt it just lock when the spider gears would have normally just turned?
From memory our LSD clutch plates are on the outer sides of the spider gears.

This is the locka and from what I can tell its just a replacement for the spider gears

Spartan-New-Locker.jpg

Where as this is the TruTrac centre and its the full centre

TruTrac8.jpg

From what I can see the Locka fits inside the exisiting centre where the truTrac replaces the centre

and just in case there are any who havent seen the inside of the M226

IMG_0795.jpg

Last edited:
So anyway...is it just an LSD centre for non LSD vehicles in other countries?
Moreso isnt an LSD the equivalent of a mechanical locker / Lokka?

Please explain.!
Pauline_Hanson_465x288_060309_t325.jpg

well as far as I can tell it replaces the spider gears to make an open centre to a sort of LSD..
LSD centres usually have clutchs to give the slip where a Locka uses more mechanical means

half a dozen vs 6 type deal

the carrier lockers (the ones that replace the spider gears) are a cheaper option of lockers and can be fitted by anyone who has a bit of confidence as the crown and pinion gears dont need readjustment. But it still provides the same function as a full carrier locker but slightly weaker and in the Detroit EZY locker for instance it does not recommend anthing over 33" tyres to be used.
Lokka or some other aussie brand on the other hand have a HD carrier locker that allow 35s to be used.
Either way strong enough for most of our Navaras.

In saying that my (knackered) 351 powered 60 series with 35" BFGs ate the Detroit EZY locker diff so proof they do not like high power / torque high strain situations.

as for installing it in a LSD carrier I have not heard of that before by my understanding you replace the LSD carrier with an open centre carrier and replace the spider gears with the carrier type locker.

On a similar note, I have been having a hard time finding a mechanical locker to fit the rear of a D40 is that because ARB air locker is still the only available one on the market???
The D40 LSD is a myth!!
Im after a Detroit type mechanical locker rather than an air locker.

Come think of it anyone have a spare LWB Patrol chassis laying round??!?

Latest posts

Back