What Engine Oil ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonney

Reaction score
Guys, I am having my 2014 Navara serviced this week for its 10,000 klm service. not sure if i want to stick with the factory nissan engine oil as they only make it in 5 litre containers and i have 4 litre but only need about 400 ml , so stuff buying 5 litre for that small quantity.
what is to most favoured engine oil for this low k deisel engine ? i want good stuff not that will do stuff. the stock oil is 10w-50. thanks.

D22 or d40?

I run 5w-30/40 fully synthetic oils in mine with genuine filter every 5k. Usually what's on special but have been really liking the Hi-Tec Oils at the moment. Mechanic uses it and goes great.

Russ

sorry its a D-22. do you guys buy your engine oil in bulk 20 litre lots or just buy the 4 or 5 litre containers ? just trying to work out which way to go now as my son has a navara D22 as well as myself , so thinking on the 20 litre lots.

Last edited:
now have 20k on the clock and wondering if i should be running the Penrite 5w-40 semi synthetic engine oil or stay with my current 15w - 50 Penrite engine oil. the penrite site says 5w-40 is recommended for the D-22 but also the 15w-50 is on there list. whats the better oil of these 2 ??

15w50 way too thick for a modern engine, owners manual reccomends 5w30 but dont use that i do either 5w40 castrol edge fully synthetic or 15w40 motor oil

15w50 way too thick for a modern engine, owners manual reccomends 5w30 but dont use that i do either 5w40 castrol edge fully synthetic or 15w40 motor oil
well theres not much difference between the 15w-40 and the 15w-50, why do you say the 50 is way to thick ?

well theres not much difference between the 15w-40 and the 15w-50, why do you say the 50 is way to thick ?

since you think there is not much different why did you ask what oil to use then? its pretty simple. owners manual says 5w30.(2004 version) before that it reccomended that 5w30 shouldnt be used above 0 celsius.(2002version) i have spoken with a great deal of people of whats the best etc. around here we only use 50 oils in tractors and maybe some special Subary engines requiring it. it doesnt mean it will harm tho since its ok to use according to service manual. you probabaly need more diesel to move tho. pretty simple

actually the owners manual i have [ 2015 ] doesn,t really specify any particular engine oil on the chart. this is why it does become quite confusing for the average guy wanting the correct oil . so far i,ve been told; 5w-30 , 5w-40, 10w-30, 15w-50 etc. might go for a punt on the 5w-40.

actually the owners manual i have [ 2015 ] doesn,t really specify any particular engine oil on the chart. this is why it does become quite confusing for the average guy wanting the correct oil . so far i,ve been told; 5w-30 , 5w-40, 10w-30, 15w-50 etc. might go for a punt on the 5w-40.

here is how the charts the 2002 d22's came with (yd25 engine included) pay attention to red square.
image.png

and here is the 2004 revision and the latest
image.png

now since you live in Australia and climate is close to what we have in Greece, example max 42 celsius in summer and hardly below 0 at winter doing 5w30 is way too risky for me and when i even tried it once engine sounds like a bag of nails. thats why me and most owners here use something around 5w40 (only comes in fully synthetic) or 10w40 oe 15w40. thats all i have to say the desicion is yours.

Despite being outdated and for a model we dont get here, its pretty much saying that 15-50 is fine despite your own arguments previous page.

Despite being outdated and for a model we dont get here, its pretty much saying that 15-50 is fine despite your own arguments previous page.

go and play with your chinesse turbo drama queen. also learn to read since i said its fine to use the 50 but its thicher than it should and he probably uses more diesel to move down the road. its also the only and last 2 official nissan charts. kill yourself

go and play with your chinesse turbo drama queen. also learn to read since i said its fine to use the 50 but its thicher than it should and he probably uses more diesel to move down the road. its also the only and last 2 official nissan charts. kill yourself

I dare say that if you were pedantic, you would use the lighter oil in winter and the heavier one in summer.
Thanks for the kind words by the way. xxoo rabbid chop.

Don't over think it to much guys.

For our trucks, if your got the coin Mobil One Delvac 5W~40 or similar will cover all bases and still provide the maximum protection from freezing starts to searing heat.

A single grade oil will probably be less resistant to break down since there is less comprise but where it lacks is that cold start performance where most of wear occurs. It's more ideally suited to larger marine or stationary engines, less starts longer running.

An oil ending in 50 under warm to hot conditions will not do any harm and the engine may sound quieter but there will be no additional benefit when it comes to wear and fuel consumption will be higher.

Don't over think it to much guys.

For our trucks, if your got the coin Mobil One Delvac 5W~40 or similar will cover all bases and still provide the maximum protection from freezing starts to searing heat.

A single grade oil will probably be less resistant to break down since there is less comprise but where it lacks is that cold start performance where most of wear occurs. It's more ideally suited to larger marine or stationary engines, less starts longer running.

An oil ending in 50 under warm to hot conditions will not do any harm and the engine may sound quieter but there will be no additional benefit when it comes to wear and fuel consumption will be higher.
thanks tappet thats exactly what i said and meant when i reccomended 5w40 after researching about it a lot( or 10w40 if u dont want to buy the fully synth which costs more) until the thread got hijacked by the usual suspect. 50 is too thick for australia climate and you most likely have more fuel consumption to get moving down the road, wont harm the engine but you are not gaining anything from it

Back