Diff work

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone opened their rear diff to do any work. I just scored a complete rear diff from Sydney for $51 off ebay. Going to swap the LSD centre out of that diff into my truck. Being a 4x2 mine has an open centre so going to convert it to LSD and retain the 4x2 gear set .
Is there anything special bout our diffs?I realise I will need to check all the clearances for the gears etc and the diff I just scored only has 40k on it so should be fine for bearings etc
700KM round trip from my place in Canberra to Sydney and return. 7 Hours for the trip and 70lt of fuel so not shabby at all.

First question Paul, before you do anything else - what's the spline count on the axles? The centres might not be interchangeable without changing axles. Stranger things have happened...

Might be worth doing that piece of research before getting underway.

Let's assume however that spline count is all fine. Prep work - you will need some parts - this is just off the top of my head mate, and it's early so bear with me Since you will need to pull axles to do the swap, it's good practice to do axle seals and depending on the miles on your rig, its probably a good idea to do bearings too. If you have time to spare with your rig up on stands, take the old axle bearings out to CBC or somewhere like that and they should just be able to match them - no need for genuine items. Don't have the manual handy - are there any flange gaskets on the outside ends on the axle tubes? What about cover gasket? Is your diff centre cover finned alloy? If not you might like to chase one down as I understand they were used to help diffuse heat from the centres, however not sure whether they were fitted to limited slip centres or all centres. Not sure what else mate. But naturally you are more than welcome to any assistance that I can provide if I can be of any use. Best to get in quick though - we're putting the house on the market in a few weeks, and as soon as it sells we're moving to Tassie. Damn, that is gonna be awesome!

Pulling diff centres, axles and housings out is one thing,
but pulling centres apart and back together is not for the joeblo backyarder,
and I'm not suggesting you are that, but its very much a need experience task.
As Antoz has mentioned, spline count, axle length and spline diameter could be different but also could be the same, diff bolt pattern could be different, etc.
I,m sure though some folk here will be willing to enlighten us all with that info.
some pics would be helpfull too.

Well I have done gear changes and centre changes before actually but I need a hand setting up backlash etc.
I understand what your both saying
Why cant it be easy like a 9 inch lol
As far as I can work out the only thing thats different is the centre.4x2and 4x4 gets different ratios so have to change ring gears I do know .
The manualsays some weird stuff tho. It says to put sealant between the ring gear and the mounting face of the cente.No idea why

Mate, if you have another form of transport, lets get the centre out and on the bench - compare apples with apples so to speak and see what it looks like. You know I'm always happy to help out.

My biggest issue is if I pull both centers then I cant drive the truck any more .I rang the boys at Hume Off Road and they reckon all good in a couple of hours so I reckon Ill go that way .

Back