Few quick questions

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozza

Reaction score
G'day Fellas,

Myself and the missus are heading over to S.A on a bit of a trip late July for a bit of R&R.

Have seen a place called the Bendleby Ranges (www.bendlebyranges.com.au), and was wondering if anyone has been there and what it's like. It's all private land, so you pay to get in (for a camp site, and also have to pay extra if you want to do some 4x4ing on their tracks. Main question is, is it worth it? Whats the place like? Is it particularly busy?

If you've another suggestion instead, chuck it up, we've 2 weeks to look around, so plenty of time.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Moz.

Haven't been there, but those private 4x4 places are usually quite satisfactory (Ados, Loveday, Trilby etc - all good).

We're going back to SA for 4 specific things:

1) Wilpena Pound

2) Ghan rail from Port Augusta to Quorn

3) Barossa Valley

4) Murray Bridge + paddle steamers

We might combine some of those into one trip.

Another run up the Stuart Highway is also on the agenda. We want to spend some time at Coober Pedy etc, but won't stay at the caravan parks - two of those are run by local council members, who are corrupt bast*rds that are using their position on council to shut down local competition. If you do go up that highway, don't pick up or assist people within 50km of Marla.

If you go to Bendleby Ranges be sure to stop off at Peterborough and go through the railway museum and stay the night to see their sight and sound show, well worth a look. There's also a very good motor bike museum in Peterborough.

I did a big trip to SA a couple of years ago now. I found the Barossa very overrated and was very disappointed when compared to the hunter valley. Not a lot of places to have breakfast and we searched for hours. That's my opinion anyway, others may feel different. My highlights were the Adelaide hills, mount present and harndolf. Great part of the state that's for sure. All of the flinders is nice also. Arkaroola village is a nice spot to. Hope you have a great trip.
Cheers

Thanks mate, the missus hasn't flagged the Barossa as somewhere she wants to go so I'll stay away! :)

Appreciate it!

Cheers.

Hope I'm not too late to wade in with suggestions?

As a Flinders Ranges local I can give you some top pointers... If you're done with the coastal stuff then do the Flinders!

Bendleby is south of Hawker by about an hour, and Hawker is where the REAL good stuff starts.

Of course there is Wilpena Pound. Check it out but be sure to do the Brachina/Bunyeroo geological trail which goes across the north of Wilpena. From there you should try the Artimore ruins public access route out on Moolooloo Station just north of Blinman, the track winds back through Hannigan's Gap, Mt. Patawarta and Narina Station, real step out of the rat-race country.

As mentioned Sky Trek is sublime but to rival it is a little known 5-6 hour self drive 4wd experience 30km's east of Hawker on Worumba Station. This is a real gem and doesn't receive the credit it deserves! Nobody suspects the beauty that is tucked away there. This is the time of year to see it as the rains have been plentiful and the country-side is in full bloom.

Cheers.

Excellent, thanks mate.
I'll have a squiz on google today/tonight.

Not too late at all, almost perfect timing, we're heading off on Monday!

Cheers

Moz.

Have a great trip mate. Wish I was heading out soon myself. Take plenty of pics. It's a great pert of the country out there.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back