EGR mod gave flashing engine warning light

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brock200

Reaction score
Hey all

Did the EGR mod tonight on my 02 navara with zd30, everything was in correctly as i double checked, first time i started however i had 1 vac line hookd up incorrectly and got a flashing engine light. so i fixed the problem and yet again flashing engine light, so i returned it back to stock and still flashing engine light.. would only occur after engine ran for 10sec then start flashing. I know that water in the fuel line can cause this so drained fuel filter, then had a play around the area with all the vac lines. Half of mine were destroyed from heat so i replaced them with silicone hose, jiggled around a few connections and started it up, idled for 5min and no light so far. Not sure what could have caused this, but has anyone else had this problem? im going to try the mod again tomorrow afternoon to see if it brings up the same problem.

Another question.. do people unplug or leave the connector pluged into the now unused EGR solenoid?

cheers

Brock

pay to clear the codes or at least read them.

i doubt the mod did it as no one else has reported that problem. try it again.
usually just leave the solenoid plugged in. i can't remember if the ecu checks to see if its working.

2005 d22 zd30 66k

Hi Everybody
I just wanted to give some feedback, especially to Tweake as he offers a lot of advice and information to other forum members. Since owing my Navara from new I have read a great deal about the problems surrounding EGR etc. I service my own vehicle every 7,500 K's using a Racor Filter and Castrol 15/40 Magnatec. Having read about the problems of caked up EGR's I today decided to carry out the mod's (blocking EGR and re-piping vac lines) only to find that the housing was spotless (on the inlet side, which is where I have blocked the EGR) I did find however quite a lot of oil that has returned into the air intake via the rocker cover, so a catch can will be installed next week when it arrives (Provent 200). I do take the Nav off road, but in the main it's on sand tracks getting to isolated beach spots so I'm not working it that hard, just letting the thing work in the gears. I tow a 1600 Kg camper trailer and the UTE is loaded up too, probably around 2500 Kg. Have I just been lucky or is it possible that a lot of the problems experienced are related to how hard the motor is worked. PLEASE, this is just a feedback posting, I'm not sitting here smirking about anybody elses troubles, if I was I wouldn't be posting my own findings. Any thoughts Tweake??

only way it would be spotless is if the egr was already blocked or manifold been removed and cleaned. i doubt you will find ANY vechile that has a clean intake due to the EGR.
however the amount of oil and also dust that gets through the air filter also combines to clog up the intake. it onl take a little bit to overfill it with oil and it will blows lots of oil into the intake.

Re-did the mod again and its working fine, noticed a difference which is good. Thanks for the help!

only way it would be spotless is if the egr was already blocked or manifold been removed and cleaned. i doubt you will find ANY vechile that has a clean intake due to the EGR.
however the amount of oil and also dust that gets through the air filter also combines to clog up the intake. it onl take a little bit to overfill it with oil and it will blows lots of oil into the intake.

Was Nissan dealer serviced until warranty expired and there has been nobody else touch the vehicle since then other than myself, very strange!!

I had the same result as MAP. When I did the mod at ~160-170,000km i found no oil/sludge buildup on the intake manifold where it is blocked off with a plate. Mine is an 02 model, serviced every 5,000 km. I also had the same porblem of oil vapor going through the air intake. When I started the EGR mod I thought it would be really bad like the pics you see of other peoples manifolds.

But as MAP said, I'm not trying to gloat, just feedback.

post some pics of the intake ! i seriously doubt ANY would be clean especially after 100,000 km.

Hey Andrew D
Thank you for posting your findings too, I was beginning to question my own eyes, I even had the wife out there double checking!! With regards to the oil vapour, I hope to have my Provent Catch Can install finalised tomorrow, it's quite a large piece of equipment and I wanted to keep it well away from the exhaust and turbo housing, so I've had to do a bit of modifying to get it in behind the fuel fiter, when it's finished I will post a few pictures which may help others too. Just need to work out out how to get piccies on this forum. Bear with me for a few days!!

Hi MAP, no worries. Tweak'e, I was surprised too to find that there was no build up around the inlet. I will try and take a pic but when I did the EGR conversion my dad put a sealant on the blocking plate to ake sure there wasn't going to be any gas leakage. I don't want to break the seal because i never got any of the sealant off my dad. I will see how I go.

Cheers

Hello Again to All,
I did the EGR mod to my 3Ltr Pootrol - and like others - noticed a significant difference.........my Question here is.....Is there an EGR mod that can be done to the 2:5Ltr STr Nav motor ( 08 onwards)......to gain all the benefits that we all know of - excluding that crud from our engines!!!!!!
Thanx in advance....
Simon

the 3ltr patrol is a bit tricky as you normally have to adjust the variable turbo (unless you have the common rail version).

egr on the 2.5's it looks like you can just block the egr. no butterfly mods required. (i can't confirm untill someone actually test the butterfly system on it).

Hi again to all,
Has anybody "blanked off" their EGR on a 2008+ 2:5CRD Nav yet. If so from where did you do it - I dont want to do the wrong thing - yet I cant argue the difference that doing it to my 3Ltr Pootrol made. Thanx in advance for any help / guidance.

Back