NP300 Fuel Economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonba

Reaction score
The NP300 is still very new. It has a combined fuel usage of around 6-7.5ltr/100km's listed in the sales brochure.

What are you currently getting for fuel economy? Are you getting anywhere near the nominated amount?

Share your stories of fuel usage.

Im getting about 7 to 7.3 lt/100km with a STX and this is being very concervative. The only way to get under 7 will be very easy highway driving with no local roads. Havent towed my van yet so this will be interesting. Im estimating to be in the mid teens or late teens.
Have owned a disco 3 and the new jeep Grand Cherokee before and this ute is better on fuel with no loads but loading it up will be a much different story.

Okay, so you are getting close to the quoted fuel economy figures. Is that reading from the trip computer, or is that by calculation. If it is by calculation that is really impressive!

How many km's do you have on your NP300? (is it broken in yet?)

Okay, so you are getting close to the quoted fuel economy figures. Is that reading from the trip computer, or is that by calculation. If it is by calculation that is really impressive!

How many km's do you have on your NP300? (is it broken in yet?)

That is the economy measured by the trip computer, havent done a propper meaure yet but im fairly confident in the trip meter.
Have nearly done 3k klm so still very young.

What i have found interesting is when the fuel gets lower in the tank, the economy appears to be worse which makes no sense, should get better. Im due for another refuel, might do a proper measurement on the next tank.

That is the economy measured by the trip computer, havent done a propper meaure yet but im fairly confident in the trip meter.

What i have found interesting is when the fuel gets lower in the tank, the economy appears to be worse which makes no sense, should get better. I'm due for another refuel, might do a proper measurement on the next tank.

I'm always skeptical of the trip computer. My wife has a skoda yeti, fantastic car. Trip computer reads about 6.5l/100kms but when I do a manual calculation it is more like 6.7~6.8l/100kms.

Its very much in the ball park, but isn't 100% accurate. We also found that fuel economy improved heaps after about 20,000kms. (diesel engine must have finally broke in)..

Hopefully I get the call about my truck today. Should be picking it up on Thursday or Saturday (which they don't seem keen on). As soon as I get it I'm going to really start recording fuel usage.

Thats great news, the truck is pretty good and alot of fun. We picked ours up on the Saturday a day or 2 before new financial year, they tried everything to avoid this as it was their busiest day of the year but due to a couple of problems found which was fixed , Sat. Was the only option for us and the sales guy and yard was actually extremely accomodating to my surprise. Good start, lets see how it continues.

What i have found interesting is when the fuel gets lower in the tank, the economy appears to be worse which makes no sense, should get better. Im due for another refuel, might do a proper measurement on the next tank.

I wish to withdraw my high expectations of the trip computer. Just went on a big trip yesterday, 1700km in one day. Im shattered but the trip computer was not even close to being realistic to a point i think there must be an issue. It was wrong in nearly every way even the fuel gauge was way off.
Eg. The gauge was very low, the range indicated i only had100km left which makes sense, filled up the car andit only took 55lt.
Even at times when I had the economy meter on the screen, with very little throttle input, the meterwas hovering around the 12 to 15 mark and couldnt reduce it until at such a time it just reduced back to normal.
Figuring there must be a faulty sensor or a semi stuck valve somewhere. Will need to get it resolved.as i have absolutely no faith in it now.

I wish to withdraw my high expectations of the trip computer. Just went on a big trip yesterday, 1700km in one day. Im shattered but the trip computer was not even close to being realistic to a point i think there must be an issue. It was wrong in nearly every way even the fuel gauge was way off.
Eg. The gauge was very low, the range indicated i only had100km left which makes sense, filled up the car andit only took 55lt.
Even at times when I had the economy meter on the screen, with very little throttle input, the meterwas hovering around the 12 to 15 mark and couldnt reduce it until at such a time it just reduced back to normal.
Figuring there must be a faulty sensor or a semi stuck valve somewhere. Will need to get it resolved.as i have absolutely no faith in it now.

Did you record your km and fuel for the trip? interested how it calculates.

Last edited:
A few trips over the weekend I managed 6.4~6.6L/100kms. (trip computer). Impressed.

This morning I filled up, and after towing a trailer to the dump twice (300-400kg extra load) and cruising around town, and actually testing the performance a bit, I calculated a fuel economy of 8.8L/100kms over a 650km range. I'm hoping as the engine beds in more, this drops to around 7l/100kms.

But impressed so far.

Its not even worth reporting screen fuel consumption unless you wish to start a new thread..

I believe you guys are asking for REAL consumptions rather than Nissan BS screen values

could be another speedo correction thread :sorry3:

Computer is reporting an average of 8.4L/100 around town but based on Fuelly its 9.1L/100?

I recently towed my 2000kg caravan from Sydney to Cooma and back again and did 12.9L/100 according to the computer.

Its not even worth reporting screen fuel consumption unless you wish to start a new thread..

I believe you guys are asking for REAL consumptions rather than Nissan BS screen values

could be another speedo correction thread :sorry3:

I agree. Calculated (real) fuel economy figures are all that matters.

PS - on an interesting side note, my trip computer reported an overall fuel economy figure of 8.9L/100km, and when I refilled, I calculated 8.8L/100km. I'm rather happy with that.

Does the engine need to have a bit of wear on it before towing? I just traded my d40 series 6 for the d23 and have been towing an 800kg trailer since 30kms. Has 500km on it now. I asked the sales guy before I picked it up and he said "nah it's fine"

But my d40 I was advised to drive it to 1000km before loading it up.

It's averaging 10.1l/100 on the trip meter.

Just don't let it labour in a high gear, nock it down one gear.
I believe modern Diesels don't need running in.
All my past diesels i drove them hard from the start 300,00km later still strong.

Latest posts

Back