DIY fuel filter replacement ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if your using a genuine filter its just remove and replace. prime it so its full of fuel before u start the engine

Last edited:
under the filter bracket theres a black priming bulb (same as what outboards use). just pump it till it goes hard. genuine filters are around the $120 mark

black priming bulb is for 4 cyl. v6 has different setup
and I have not changed mine yet

regarding original question. the main concern when replacing the fuel filter is to make sure you don,t leave an Air Bubble in the fuel line as this can cause a reliable vehicle into an un reliable heap. what i have always done when changing fuel filters is firstly Clamp both Inlet and Outlet fuel hoses [ at filter ] so fuel is kept in the hose and not let to be dripped out [ air ] if the filter is mounted verticaly and is of the oil filter tin looking type, you should fill the new filter up with diesel fuel then fit it to its mounting. if you have a primer pump make sure you pump it until it gets hard to pump then start the engine and pump a couple more times . the main idea of this is to try as hard as possible to deliver fuel into the injectors etc and not a mix of fuel and air.
watch the doctor when he gives you an injection , does he make sure theres no air in the needle thingy before pumping it into you ???

I just used a drift punch to block the pipe between the filter and tank to prevent the diesel draining back into the fuel tank. (4 cylinder)

Does the V6 have a pump in the tank ? If yes, you may not need to bother blocking the feed pipe.

Also, stuff some old towels all around the area, doesn't matter how careful you work, there will always be some diesel spillage.

Genuine or Rico?

Hi, is it necessary to use genuine fuel filter or is a Rico or equivalent okay for the fuel filter?

A fair few people have reported problems with aftermarket filters not sealing properly (the screw on type on the 4 cyl Thai D40)

I'd stick to genuine fuel filter. To prime a 550 you need to find the hand primer located with your jack and wheel brace behind the rear seat in a long silver zip lock bag then pop ur bonnet and remove the plastic engine cover and look for a fitting sticking up with a removeable cap. Remove that cap and your primer connects onto that fitting then pump it and it will prime the diesel up from the tank fill the filter and prime the system threw to the injector pump. To prevent a mess add a bit of fuel hose to the primer and sit it straight into a tin to catch what comes threw until your happy all the air has been primed out.

Last edited:
This thread is timely, I was just about to purchase this kit from Sydney Filters which includes a Sakura Z711 fuel filter for a YD25 D40 Spanish build. Seems very good value considering it also includes the genuine oil filter.

Has anyone reported issues with the Sakura fuel filter? Who is the manufacturer of the genuine D40 fuel filter?

I have looked around a lot and cannot find aftermarket filter for the STX550.So I have used genuine part only no. 16400-5X21B . If you talk nicely to a Nissan dealer you can get one for $99.00 . Wiring plugs where a bit hard to get off so be careful, otherwise easy just prime as said with primer bulb located behind back seat.

Latest posts

Back