door seals for water crossings

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruptd

Reaction score
Hey, just wondering if any of you guys have had trouble with water leaking in when doing water crossings?

The reason i ask is that a mate took his 05 rodeo through water on the weekend, and it filled up in a couple minutes and wet his 4x4 computer etc.

Also if water did get in, is there anything it will upset, like computers etc?

Cheers....

My D40 has never got stuck in water and sat there but on crossings it has never leaked any water in.

Edit: A couple of minutes is a very long time to sit in water, I don't think any cars are waterproof enough to keep water out for that long.

Cabins are not airtight. When the service manager at my dealer was telling me about water crossings, he did say to minimise the amount of time spent under water - "don't muck around, it's not a boat, if you want a boat, go to a marina not a Nissan dealer". He did say that the Navara with snorkel could get through water that went halfway up its windscreen - but advised to not stop, just get through and out again.

Since he's a veteran outback driver (he does the Variety Club bash and when I was in there to get my Navara's 20K service, his Patrol was in the lot, looked like a beast), I've got no qualms taking his advice with this sort of thing.

woteva u do dont come to a halt in water/mud above top tyre heightish...mates cruiser stopped halfway for a "looksie" then almost burnt his clutch trying to get out...water/muddish got into the clutch face and couldnt bite onto the plate... thought the clutch was sealed. must always keep moving forward to create that water wall..if in doubt tarp the front end

Last edited:
Yeh i know what yous are saying about stopping in water, but it wasnt planned, he got bogged.

The rodeo has its 4x4 computer under the drivers seat which seems pretty stupid, as its the first thing thats gunna get wet.

So theres no preventative measures i should take to try to keep water out then? Other than not stopping of course! haha :stop:

Had mine stuck in a river when I first got it, well a few months after I got itt.

Water leaked in very very slow.

Brought it home and pulled the carpet out and hosed it on the clothes line.

Never had a issue since.

Dave.

I was stuck for about 30 mins in the river. So came up to the transmission tunnel.

Was shitting myself thinking the computer would get soaked. But didn't thank go.

Dave.

yeh mate tarp up your front end, take it easy and don't change gears that way a little water leaking in will be the least of your worries

If i can give any word of advice after picking up some water in Nolans Brook,
Around the gearstick is where most of my water came in, I'm convinced that some more came from around the mounts for the side steps (holes massive in the Jap built cars)
I was stationary for about 4 seconds, after driving in 6 seconds earlier.
Only had a small drop in drivers side footwell, took 5 days for the carpet to dry.
Wasn't as bad as some of the others that were up to their seats!
Good thing the D22 doesn't have any computers under the seat, only a single ABS sensor under the passenger seat.

my first big crossing in my 2 month old d22 this year we got a little water coming in through the door seals, but not enough to soak the carpet, it dried out before we reached camp that night.
the water was also at door handle height so im guessing the water pressure was fairly high.
but apart from that no problems.

Never been too deep in the navara but put the patrol through a lot of water - half way up the windscreen (funny as video from inside). Seal the door seals with a couple of layers of silicone spray and leave it soak in overnight, do this a couple of times. The benefit of that is it will also show where it is not sealing as dust will settle in the spaces.
Maybe don't have aircon and air vents open? All water in the troll came through the foot vents. Someone could correct me on this tho.

When i got into deep water it came thru the holes in the bottom of the doors and in thru the speaker grill :D only got about ankle deep inside.

Attachments

• VTS_01_1.VOB_snapshot_07.14_[2012.03.14_20.32.18].jpg
    VTS_01_1.VOB_snapshot_07.14_[2012.03.14_20.32.18].jpg
    59 KB · Views: 113
Dave... Where is the computer located in the D22s?
Im lead to believe that they are up behind the glovebox,
There is also something near the ABS controller which is just under the controls for the A/C

Cabins are not airtight. When the service manager at my dealer was telling me about water crossings, he did say to minimise the amount of time spent under water - "don't muck around, it's not a boat, if you want a boat, go to a marina not a Nissan dealer". He did say that the Navara with snorkel could get through water that went halfway up its windscreen - but advised to not stop, just get through and out again.

Since he's a veteran outback driver (he does the Variety Club bash and when I was in there to get my Navara's 20K service, his Patrol was in the lot, looked like a beast), I've got no qualms taking his advice with this sort of thing.

i dunno... and i know ill prob get told its cos its a hilux... but getting stuck in this hole on the border track fooked my starter motor, so halfway up the windscreen must cause some other issues!!!!
199_10390307201_9972_n.jpg

big arguments with toyota over who was gonna pay to replace it, i said to them how can they sell snorkels for them if the starter motor fails when it gets wet, which sits lower than the intake. so snorkel still wont allow you to go through water any deeper than where the starer motor sits...

the car filled up big time from that, all around the door seals. was a carpet out jobby... second time that day we flooded it, and i checked the dept with a stick before driving through, but only on the left had side lol!!

I think it was in last months 4x4 Action mag, they had a list of simple cheap mods for 4x4's. One of them was to raise the height of the computer, even if only 6 inches. How easy this is to do in a Nav I have no idea.

went for a bash last night and my cuz's 80 series with 4inch lift 35 mtz's fuel pump shit it self so my nav was only car there so had to tow this thing up and through things ive never even took my nav through yet anyways we did muddy puddle which turned out to be a fricken lake almost :pissedoff: so anyways i attempted this big wide rut and bang went in and didn't move then bang my cuz hits my arse cause he had minimum brakes (engine not running) so my nav got stuck in a deep muddy rut half way up the doors and rammed up the arse and i was stuck for at least 30 min maybe bit more, so we hand winched the cruiser back wards and then i ended up driving nav out forwards luckily i dropped down to 18psi on the M/T atz's b4 hand and in the end i got it out but now when i brake or take off i hear water sloshing around everywhere, first i thought it was my long ranger fuel tank but its never did it b4 so why start now, i just went out then to look at car and its not leaking water from any where on concrete like it normally would when its draining water from a crossing..

problem 2) also my clutch feels stiffer than normal would water maybe be in my box or around my clutch??
go the nav for dragging a 80 series around last night woo hoo.. i was grilling my cuz on the uhf about nissan vs yota and funny i didnt get much response from him :3gears:

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 114

Latest posts

Back