4WD disengage

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arty_74

Reaction score
I took my Nav on the beach for the first time the other week, it seems to lock in to 4x4 pretty much as soon as you turn the switch, but getting it out of 4x4 seems to be a bit tricky especially when your coming off the track from the beach and to the bitumen. I know your supposed to keep the wheels straight and accelerate and decelerate to get it out (while still on sand or dirt), it was harder to get it out when the camper was on the back, I pretty much had to find some gravel on the side of the road come to a stop and put it into reverse and then it finally disengaged, was a bit of a pain when we had about 20 cars behind us all heading for the Noosa ferry.
Just wondering if anyone has an easy solution or tips for this?

cheers

Arty

i heard mates 4wd sensor had to be replaced 3 times...seems a bit excessive..try changing the diff oil? best way to disengage to is to drive forward slowly 10km/hr. but heard going into reverse will most always disengage it.

Sounds normal to me, especially when the drive chain is loaded up.
I regularly back up to get the transfer case to disengage. I have even had to switch off the ute and restart in order to get the computer to realise that the switch has been moved to 2WD - a really good thing to remember when you are struggling to get it out of 4WD.

Yep, I've had a few problems with mine. Going in very easy, getting it to come out I needed to switch it between 4HI and 4LO a couple of times and driving forward.

Typical of all part time 4WD selectors. No problems with mine and I do a shite load of off road work. Simply back up a fraction - max 1 mtr is required - all deselects straight away.

Yeah mine's a pain in the neck too. It sits there and flashes for ages until I back up or it finally goes. Ah well, patience is a virtue I suppose.

Latest posts

Back