Heading to WA in September

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris T

Reaction score
Hi Guy's
Planning a trip to WA from Toowoomba QLD in September via Darwin .Will be towing camper trailer wondering any reports/advice on the gibb river road you read so many dffrent stories .We will be travelling solo so safety if important also any other places to see along the way would be great to know about .We are taking 2 months off .Any advice would be good
Chris

Hi Chris,

Noticed you have no reply. We are also heading off (from Melbourne) early July for Kununarra, WA west coast and the wildflowers. Thinking also of taking the Gibb River Road. We will go via Adelaide, the Alice and Katherine. My only source of information so far is from this source .... "kimberleyaustralia.com". It says the road is no problem if taken slowly. Codition will vary depending on the amount of traffic since the last grading. (how long does it take to grade 660km? :big_smile:).

Am interested in other information....

Regards Peter

The Gibb is an easy drive, provided the Pentacoast river isn't too high, I reckon you could do it in a Corolla no problems.

Thanks for the info... Sounds like it might be a bit like the Oodnadatta track which last year, from William Creek to Marree, was more like an 8 lane super highway (except for the nasty washouts every now and then.) Grey nomads (like us) were about one every five minutes.
Peter

Thanks Hutchstr. Interesting website. All good info. Hope Chris is getting it too. Tnx for your help and cheers,
Peter

wa trip

Thanks for the interest guy's.
Have been trying top get some honest feed back on the gibb river road some say its bad others like 08kingcab say its easy .Wanted a honest idea as we are towing a camper trailer but my main concern is that we are traveling alone (with kids)so safety is always a worry .
Plan to leave Toowoomba QLD around the 19th september heading to Kathrine (about a week ) and then across the top got 2 months off

Highly recommend a trip to the Pilbara, have worked in the region for over 4 years now. Previously doing biological surveys, now as a miner. Top of the list would be Karajini National Park, then Millstream NP. If you have time, head out to Rudall River NP (long drive and need extra fuel). So much to see in the Pilbara, 2 months is nowhere near enough!!!

Dont go in summer though, we hit 50 degrees on January 1st...that's the highest the Prado temperature gauge will go to.

Thanks for the interest guy's.
Have been trying top get some honest feed back on the gibb river road some say its bad others like 08kingcab say its easy .Wanted a honest idea as we are towing a camper trailer but my main concern is that we are traveling alone (with kids)so safety is always a worry .
Plan to leave Toowoomba QLD around the 19th september heading to Kathrine (about a week ) and then across the top got 2 months off

I recommend the 600k approx round trip off the Gibb to go up to the Mitchell Plateau. Road was like a freeway for us until the turn off to the Mitchell falls, then it gets a little rough, down to 40kph. You can do it in one overnight stay, but I would recommend staying 2, checking out the falls at different times of the day. And the chopper ride is a must do!.

It was the high light of our trip, IMO the most specatcular view in all of Australia.

Don't be concerned about towing the camper, we saw plenty of people towing 25 foot caravans along the Gibb, about 250k's of it is now bitumen, with all the steep sections tar sealed.

Latest posts

Back