Catch Can - Provent 200

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAP

Reaction score
:big_smile:I said in a previous posting that I would put up some words and pictures relating to the installation of a Provent 200 Catch Can.

The unit was purchased from Western Filters, Pt No 3931070550 $161.00 & although the unit comes with a filter cartridge I bought a spare, Pt No 3931051950 $80.00 + shipment to WA. Western Filters are based in NSW
Ph: 02 9831 1715 and were very helpful and prompt in their service.

The installation was quite straightforward although the inlet and outlet ports from the Provent 200 are ID 25mm, so a bit of stepping up & down needs to be done to connect onto the R/cover and the air intake spigot. Obviously people will have their own views on how this should be done so I won’t bore you with how I did mine, but it entailed 25mm & 19mm hose, and 19>>25mm adaptors purchased from Bunnings.

In terms of location, I wanted to keep mine well away from the exhaust and turbo so I opted to install it behind the fuel filter. To do this I cut away the excess bracket around the fuel filter, offered the unit in and marked where the drain vent was touching on the inner wing. (I had seen an install where the Provent was secured on a bracket from the filter housing, I did mine this way out of personal preference)

A 25mm hole was drilled in the inner wing to allow the drain point to sit into which also allows the Provent 200 to sit lower. (otherwise it sits too high and the bonnet can’t be shut) A 10mm clear drain tube was installed so it hung down inside the wheel arch and then it was fed through between the chassis and the plastic inner arch liner, clipped back so there is no interference with the wheel or suspension and the tube was then routed to come out by the oil filter drain tube, a bung used to seal it up, easy for drainage when carrying out an oil change, and I can also see if any oil is present when checking O/S/F tyre pressure.

The actual filter was mounted on the inner wing and used spacers to keep it away from the inner wing by 15mm, this was done so the Provent 200 lid can be removed to service the filter area. (if it’s not spaced you cannot get the lid off as it hits the underside of the inner wing where it is bolted to the inner wing member)

Pictures speak for themselves, any questions please ask and Ill be happy to help.

Attachments

• Finished Install 1.jpg
    Finished Install 1.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 1,945
  • Finished Install 2.jpg
    Finished Install 2.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 2,774
  • Finished Install.jpg
    Finished Install.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 3,797
  • Finished Install 3.jpg
    Finished Install 3.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 1,566
Good write up mate, I've been thinking of installing a provent for some while. I like that they look quite stock, less blingy! Cheers

Hey DVR,
It's not noobiness mate, as the saying goes,
"A man who asks no questions is a fool for life" enough philososphy for now!!
What it does is filter out the oil vapour and crap that comes out of the top of the engine (the hose at the rear of the R/cover) which is then put back in through the air intake trunking (the hose that connects into the big trunking on the outlet side of the air filter)
Have you noticed an oily mist around the turbo pipe joints?
Have you taken the pipes off and had a look inside?
Chances are you'll find a build up of oil which is being blown back into the air intake side of the engine which is not good.
The catch can filter is designed to filter out the oily vapour and any other crap that comes with it, and only let filtered air back into the engine. Combined with carrying out the EGR modifications (which there are numerous postings about) it is improving upon the longevity of the engine. In the last week I have done the EGR mod and obviously the catch can, and the performance, responsiveness, tone, and smoothness of the engine is very noticeable.
I would recommend doing both, it's not difficult to do, and as many others have said before, "you are protecting the engine to the best you possibly can". Good luck.

good info, MAP! Many thanks. I.ve done the EGR mod and now i'm off to purchase an oil catch can. I've sen one at autobarn for $49. or where/what type would you recommend?
Cheers

Hey Super Tourer
There have been lot's of write up's and posting regarding the installation of catch can's and what type to fit.
From what I have read there are quite a few variants available from the "motorist stores" who charge like a wounded bull for a flashy coloured can but doesn't actually have anything inside the can to provide the filtration. Then there are the home grown versions that some folk have made which they have perfected for themselves. My decision to use a Provent 200 was based upon a bit of research on the Mann Hummell web-site who are OEM filtration manufacturers who's sole purpose in life is to develop filtration systems for OEM manufacturers. For me, they are the only ones that spoke the right language about "microns" of filtration and "relief valves", and were a company that I dealt with whilst i worked on R&D for a motor manufacturer. It's a personal choice, you'll get them cheaper at the DIY shops, but will they do the right job? Good luck.

Last edited:
Hey Jon
Thanks for the encouragement, I really enjoyed doing the job and am pleased with the end result. I'll give it a few weeks as I've got some big "K's" coming up, and will report back on what's in the tub. I'm sure that other forum users will want to know about the success / failure of the product before utilising themsleves.

Hey Guys,

Just a quick question should the bottom of the filter unit have a hole for the oil to drain out of? I just cant wrap my head around where the oil goes from the filter unit to get drained by the drain hole. I say this as I have been checking my drain hose and there is no oil collecting in there. I have opened my provent up after having it installed for about a week and there is an oily pool on top of the filter unit just next to the line coming from the PCV on the engine and some oil in the central part at the bottom of the filter unit. But none of this oil seems to drain into the drain pipe at the bottom of the Provent housing.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I have a little oil in my drain pipe now, but that's only because once I removed the filter to have a look, I tilted the filter element over the housing so all the oil sitting on top of it I dripped into the bottom and drained down the drain pipe.

Cheers,
Shorty.

EDIT: Never mind, I realised the bottom part of the filter housing is smaller than the top half so the oil can drip straight off the filter into the drain pipe. Brain freeze moment there.

Last edited:
thats normal....just means yours isnt passing enough oil to go down through the filter

higher revs from a zd30 and slight over fill of oil seem to make them pass a bit more

I said in a previous posting that I would put up some words and pictures relating to the installation of a Provent 200 Catch Can.

The unit was purchased from Western Filters, Pt No 3931070550 $161.00 & although the unit comes with a filter cartridge I bought a spare, Pt No 3931051950 $80.00 + shipment to WA. Western Filters are based in NSW
Ph: 02 9831 1715 and were very helpful and prompt in their service.

The installation was quite straightforward although the inlet and outlet ports from the Provent 200 are ID 25mm, so a bit of stepping up & down needs to be done to connect onto the R/cover and the air intake spigot. Obviously people will have their own views on how this should be done so I won’t bore you with how I did mine, but it entailed 25mm & 19mm hose, and 19>>25mm adaptors purchased from Bunnings.

In terms of location, I wanted to keep mine well away from the exhaust and turbo so I opted to install it behind the fuel filter. To do this I cut away the excess bracket around the fuel filter, offered the unit in and marked where the drain vent was touching on the inner wing. (I had seen an install where the Provent was secured on a bracket from the filter housing, I did mine this way out of personal preference)

A 25mm hole was drilled in the inner wing to allow the drain point to sit into which also allows the Provent 200 to sit lower. (otherwise it sits too high and the bonnet can’t be shut) A 10mm clear drain tube was installed so it hung down inside the wheel arch and then it was fed through between the chassis and the plastic inner arch liner, clipped back so there is no interference with the wheel or suspension and the tube was then routed to come out by the oil filter drain tube, a bung used to seal it up, easy for drainage when carrying out an oil change, and I can also see if any oil is present when checking O/S/F tyre pressure.

The actual filter was mounted on the inner wing and used spacers to keep it away from the inner wing by 15mm, this was done so the Provent 200 lid can be removed to service the filter area. (if it’s not spaced you cannot get the lid off as it hits the underside of the inner wing where it is bolted to the inner wing member)

Pictures speak for themselves, any questions please ask and Ill be happy to help.

That looks like the perfect set up, I have purchased a similar catch can BUT can not find a place suitable to mount it, I think the ABS module is in the area where you have mounted yours, mine is a 2012 D22, I just cable tied it in for now but am looking at mounting it in front of the radiator, there is no where else unless I start relocating stuff under the hood, ill post some pics here, maybe you or another member might have a idea for me?

20130909_113703.jpg

20130909_113707.jpg

20130909_113722.jpg

20130909_113743.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Just a quick question should the bottom of the filter unit have a hole for the oil to drain out of? I just cant wrap my head around where the oil goes from the filter unit to get drained by the drain hole. I say this as I have been checking my drain hose and there is no oil collecting in there. I have opened my provent up after having it installed for about a week and there is an oily pool on top of the filter unit just next to the line coming from the PCV on the engine and some oil in the central part at the bottom of the filter unit. But none of this oil seems to drain into the drain pipe at the bottom of the Provent housing.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I have a little oil in my drain pipe now, but that's only because once I removed the filter to have a look, I tilted the filter element over the housing so all the oil sitting on top of it I dripped into the bottom and drained down the drain pipe.

Cheers,
Shorty.

Shorty the drain at the bottom is so you can either run back to the sump (via one way valve) or to a tap so you can drain it later. That's what I do.

Latest posts

Back