d21 engine conversion

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

datsun_nugget

Reaction score
hi

i hav a 1992 d21 four x four. it had a td27 in it but was replaced with a td27t out of a terano. i have found the clutch to be really week i have put 3 in it so far. the motor butts up to the navar box is that the reason. should i have put a terano gear box in it aswell. also my motor is knackered and i thought of rebuilding it does anyone no ow much that would cost. my other idea was to put a reco td27 engine in it so that would get rid of the weak clutch problem (navara engine and gearbox instead of terano engine and navara gear box) then more power i was wondeing if the turbo and manifold of the terano motor would bolt onto the navara td27. can anyone help me

cheers

kyle

gearboxs will be similar and i think they all run the same clutch ??? will have to check the manuals.

whats happening with the clutch? slipping?
i would just rebuild the motor and fix the clutch problem.

Is the rear main seal leaking oil onto the clutch? If not, consider fitting a heavy duty clutch?

Rebuilding a TD27t is a good idea as you'll get another 500,000 out of it, but it is going to be bloody expensive.

There's no issue mating a TD27t and a FS5W71C gearbox. If you fit the manifolds, turbo and fuel pump from a TD27t to a TD27 then the TD27 becomes a TD27t as the engines are identical with the exception of the manifolds, turbo and pump.

Was there a difference in compression between the TD27 and TD27T? I know a lot of engines they reduce the compression in turbo engines, so as to allow a greater range of compression.

No, not between the TD27 and TD27t. The turbo only provides a light 7-8PSI of boost, enough to give the sluggish TD27 a kick in the pants

A mate of mine has a QD32 and gearbox for sale if your interested ?

He is in Maitland which is 30 mins from Newcastle.

Dave.

thanx for the replies.

um the clutch doesnt slip its just really weak and to get the clutch in things had to be modified i.e pivot ball had to be modified and extra taken of the fly wheel for clearance. i had the second clutch in it for 2 months, then went 4x4ing and drove into a bog whole on the track and the clutch went. turned out it had stripped the whole clutch. its very weak and i dont no y.

also these td27t motors can handle big boost. mines been running 18 psi for about 3 years wthout a problem but ive wound it back to 10psi now

ive found a fully reco navara td27 non turbo motor so i thought it would be esier to buy that and put it in then take the turbo running gear of the td27t motor thats in my navara now.

cheers

also i rang clutch industries and you cant get a heavy duty clutch for a terrano td27t which is wat i have in my nav

thanx for the replies.

um the clutch doesnt slip its just really weak .....

that doesn't make much sense. if its weak it will just slip.
typical clutch faults are slipping, bounce/grabbing and sticking (clutch won't go up or down)

well the last 3 times before the clutches died they werent slipping before they died, they just shit themselves my mechanic says it will be weak because of all the modifications that had to be made. also because its a navara gearbox and terano motor. im no mechanic i can only go on what im told.

thanks for ur in put though, i need all the help i can get

how did they die?
how was it not working?

anything broken on the pressure plate ?

how well is the bell housing sealed? one problem you can get is water and mud getting into the clutch. they don't work well once that happens.

come to think of it, 2 out of the 3 times i was in a bog whole when they both died. when i say die, i mean the were working fine but then the peddal went really soft and the clutch wouldnt engage. after getting the ute to my mechanic he dropped the box out of it and the clutch plate was ruined. said it was like fury

this never used to happen to the previous owner tho. maybe he had a terano gearbox in it to match the terano engine. i just asumed it was a nav box so i brought a reco nav gearbox and thats when the clutch issues started.

sounds like its gotten crap in between the plates. check how well sealed up it is and pull he bung out at the bottom to drain the housing out after 4x4ing.
some guys use air compressors to pressurize the bell housing.

thanks for ur help tweak'e. i will add a pic of my ute soon and post how im going with the engine conversion or rebuild, whichever i decide to do.

cheers mate
kyle

Is the rear main seal leaking oil onto the clutch? If not, consider fitting a heavy duty clutch?

Rebuilding a TD27t is a good idea as you'll get another 500,000 out of it, but it is going to be bloody expensive.

There's no issue mating a TD27t and a FS5W71C gearbox. If you fit the manifolds, turbo and fuel pump from a TD27t to a TD27 then the TD27 becomes a TD27t as the engines are identical with the exception of the manifolds, turbo and pump.

I would have thought the injectors would be different also ? (or is it just the fuel pump delivers more fuel to the same injector)

The answer would be in the Factory Service Manual for the Diesel Engines. I have posted the link to the petrol versions to the forum and asked if anyone has seen one for the Diesel Engines as well.

Cheers,
Arthur

I would have thought the injectors would be different also ? (or is it just the fuel pump delivers more fuel to the same injector)

The answer would be in the Factory Service Manual for the Diesel Engines. I have posted the link to the petrol versions to the forum and asked if anyone has seen one for the Diesel Engines as well.

Same injectors. Key difference is the fuel pump has a boost compensator, and different tuning.

I have the paper FSM for the TD27.

come to think of it, 2 out of the 3 times i was in a bog whole when they both died. when i say die, i mean the were working fine but then the peddal went really soft and the clutch wouldnt engage. after getting the ute to my mechanic he dropped the box out of it and the clutch plate was ruined. said it was like fury

this never used to happen to the previous owner tho. maybe he had a terano gearbox in it to match the terano engine. i just asumed it was a nav box so i brought a reco nav gearbox and thats when the clutch issues started.

The problems not the clutch, it's the bog holes. If you get bogged in the mud don't put your foot on the clutch pedal, just turn it off and winch it out. I bet the shifter fork rubber is perished, letting in mud.

Latest posts

Back