oil pressure dash light

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94edxr

Reaction score
hi all i have recently bought a 2003 d22 turbo diesel when you start it up the oil pressure light stays on for a couple of seconds then goes out while the car is idleing. it only does it when you havent started it for awhile. especially first thing in the morning.. im thinking it may only be because it is cold... ive checked the oil and it seems ok it is very black though...

any ideas will be much appreciated cheers

it takes a while to go off, its normal. its only a problem if it doesn't go out.

Black oil doesn't sound good. I wonder if there are particles in the sensor stopping it from responding as well as it should. Be interesting to see the response to Jason's question.

Diesel engines have more "blow-by" than petrol because of the higher compression ratio and greater combustion energies. As a result, diesel engine oil changes are much more critical than in petrol. It's also important to use the right kind of oil, as petrol-engine oils aren't the same. Part of the oil is consumed in the combustion process (through the PCV) and needs to be low-ash to prevent particle creation which can also (over time) be blown into the crankcase. If the oil isn't changed, the particle level rises and causes problems, perhaps like you're seeing now.

thanx guys.. i dont really know the service history as i bought it about a month ago. i got it from my local nissan dealership i asked them to do a service when i bought it but i doubt that they did cause the oil was resonably black when i drove out of the yard... it had done 143000ks and they banged a sticker on to get the next service at 150000ks..

should i change the oil and filter now or wait another 4000ks..

what brand oil should i use?????

Personally, if it were mine i would have changed ALL the oil's, fluids and filters when i got the ute home, and start fresh from there for your record keeping.
For all you know the last oil change could have been 3 years ago and your diff oils may be contaminated with water.
Better safe than sorry.

Teah ditto that, I had everything checked/changed 3 days after getting it home.
Better same than sorry

Latest posts

Back