Yellow Box Speedo Recalibrator

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin'sD40

Reaction score
Hi All

I have had a Yellow box sitting around doing nothing for several years from a left over project , its the old Black cased unit not the solid yellow type

Question is , has anyone fitted one of these to correct the 9% reading to fast on the speedo of the D23 ?

Cheers Marty

My STX was only 5% out with the factory 18" wheels then I fitted 20" rims and now my speedo is only 1.5% out. So increase your tyre wall section and you'll fix the problem. Easier than upsetting the wiring as all the ABS sensors + the gearbox all have to match and I'm guessing that is done in the instrument cluster ecm.

Sure 20" rims might be good in your world BUT in mine where I drive one the dirt roads and use the 4x4 function I need 75 profiles to cope with the potholes etc etc , I'll stay with my 16x8" as they have been good for me for over 10 years on the D40 , and the tyre size I'm used to is 265/75R16 , can you imagine what a NRMA Road Service Vehicle would look like with 20's out in the sticks ! LOL Dont think so she is a work horse and needs to have the boots to go with it allowing me to do my Job this being helping people like you with you low profiles when is all goes pear shaped ((I'm not having a go at you, so please dont take this the wrong way)) but these days when you see a 200 series LC with 22's around my neck of the woods and then they wonder why did my tires pop , lets face it 45 profiles belong in the City not on the dirt

Marty

Your all good but you read my response wrong. I didn't mean for you to put 20's on, just increase your tire size to as close to 31" and you're speedo will be bang on.
But looking at your tire size your already at 31.6" so you're speedo should be reading over if it's celebrated the same as mine. Maybe the RX is slighty different.

For your info mine is a work horse to. I work in mines, forestry, riverbeds, farms, quarries etc and have no problems with my 20's and AT tires even with my 2.8ton my Ute weighs in at, but I do understand where your coming from especially when it's really ruff and rocks and size of a rhino.

Last edited:
Don't forget that these cars use an aggregate value from the four ABS sensors to come up with the vehicle speed (this same information is used for both traction and stability controls as well as hill descent). Most trick boxes that "adjust" the speedo rely on the gearbox output shaft revolution counter being the source for the speedometer - the Navs from last decade stopped using this as it's unreliable. Especially in low-traction environments.

If you get a OBD reader and ask the ECU how fast the car's going (on stock tyres) you'll find the ECU is fairly close. My ECU (stock tyres) reads 79km/h when I'm doing 80 but my speedo reads in the high 80s. What this means is that by altering your tyre size to make the speedo appear correct, you're actually throwing your odometer out (because the odometer is right, mine's only out by about 25m or so on a 5km test).

Have read heaps about the speedo and trip computer issues on the d23. I have a 2015 ST with 2500kms on the clock. What I can tell you about mine is :
1) l/100kms is under displaying by about 1.0/100kms. However, actual consumption of about 9.5/100kms is OK for round town on very young motor in my opinion.
2) distance to empty is settling, still slightly too high based on actual fuel consumption measurements but is getting more accurate with each fill .
3) filling up at half a tank gives roughly half a tank full = gauge reading OK for me. Note: i haven't run it down yet.
4) GPS tells me I'm doing 100kms/h at indicated 105kms/h, pretty similar to most other cars on the market.
Overall very happy!

I fully agree with b1benno, I have travelled now 6700 kms in my STX auto actual / measured fuel usage is averaging 8.5 l/100kms (vehicle displays around 7.6 l/100 km ) being 70 % Sydney city & 30% highway, I do consider very good for 2 ton ute. My tip though, is as soon as the low fuel warning light appears set the B trip meter to zero. I then get to 150kms and fill up, ute usually take 74 to 75 litres.
As far as speedo:saberfighting: discrepancy is concerned my speedo indicated + 3 kph to a GPS system (Wikango digital speed display (see photo) I have factory 18" wheel fitted. I feel most modern vehicles are the around the same.
I too am very happy with my ute. Some people should remember that the NP300 it is a refined ute it has an excellent transmission, lively motor, good ride, quite on the road and a very comfortable and smart interior. It does have some negatives but what ute hasn't.......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Get what your saying etc etc , I bought the RX that only came out with 205R16
However the sale on the RX (what I bought) with wider rims and tire height some what close to what the ST/STX's use and that the speedo will read a lot closer to where it should be.

The 9% difference on the speedo was on the std RX that I drove

Picking up the new vehicle in 2 weeks time

Cheers

Latest posts

Back