Turbo Timer

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkingcab

Reaction score
I own diesel king cab had boggard turbo timer fitted when i bought ute from new. problem is i cant lock the ute with the central locking button until the ute stops. I have been using the either the key or the inside lock so i can walk away while its shutting down

I believe this is normal with a turbo timer on the D40, the central locking system will not lock the car (and arm the alarm if fitted) while the ignition is on, which is basically what the turbo timer is doing, just holding the ignition on. There may be a way around it but it would not be an easy thing to achieve.

More than likely Matt, I have the same problem with mine, I fitted an after market alarm to control the central locking and I can't arm that till the timer ticks off, but I can still lock the doors with the remote, just have to wait for it to shut down to arm the alarm.

Is the central locking on yours a factory option of aftermarket Matt? You can easily tell if you will have the same issue by trying to lock the car with the remote while the keys are in the ignition and the engine is running.

Mine is a factory remote central locking kit........Timer didnt arrive to collect today so get it tomorrow sometime, plug it in and see how we go, will let ya know if its the same deal.

More than likely Matt, I have the same problem with mine, I fitted an after market alarm to control the central locking and I can't arm that till the timer ticks off, but I can still lock the doors with the remote, just have to wait for it to shut down to arm the alarm.

Is the central locking on yours a factory option of aftermarket Matt? You can easily tell if you will have the same issue by trying to lock the car with the remote while the keys are in the ignition and the engine is running.

Hi guy's newbie here name is Eric. I just had an alarm fitted to my D40 and I have the same issues as above.
Is there a solution around this? All I want to do is be able to lock the car with the remote, have the alarm arm and the turbo timer shut the engine down after a minute.:banghead:
Surely there has to be a way around this.

ok, i got the factory immobiliser unit on my d22 and i got a bogaard unit fitted.

basically, the car can be locked with the controller, except the system wont activate/immobilise til the car stops running.

eg. ign out, timer for 30 secs, press lock, car runs til 30 secs, wait about 10 secs, immobiliser activates.

otherwise it does lock

I know what a turbo timer does, but i always thought it was more for turbocharged petrol cars ( like WRC cars) is there a benefit of doing it to a diesel dog?

petrol or diesel turbos, its all the same.

as these turbos are basic oil cooled, if you run hard or just run normally the turbo temps get pretty high (600 havent some of you guys said?)

if you run at these high temps, and then just cut the engine, that burning hot turbo is going to quickly spool down as the engine goes off and have the bearings, which are lubed and cooled by the oil, sit in the left over oil which just slowly burns as it sits there not moving. eventually it just burns to the point where it turns hardish and dry, and when this happens over and over again the bearings just fill up with dried crap oil in chunks and eventually they give way.

well thats what i've been told!

hey tkingcab, you wouldn't happen to still have the ute tub of ur nav would ya? if so ya willing to sell it?

As stated above, the turbo reaches unbelievable RPM's and therefore extremely high temps. If it's not cooled down slowly it can cause dramas, apparently this is what can happen with the stock d40 turbo (causing surrounding parts to heat up and catch fire)

These photos are apparently from an insurance company, and apparently they've had more than a couple of these claims

As you can see, the car has been parked:

burn.jpg

burn2.jpg

burn3.jpg

Just saw that Sando posted the same pics in the gallery, maybe he can shed some light on what happened.

Sorry I can't shed much more light than that. I suppose that if he had been flogging the car on the beach and then pulled up without idleing for a while it may have caused the fire. It could just be a faulty wiring loom or anything else.

D40 Turbo timer

In regard to turbo timers for D40, I asked the guys at AMMS sandgate qld about fitting one, they said it will foul the central locking system and d40's don't need it as the the turbo is also water cooled
AMMS do some work for 4WD action also
They recently fitted DBA slotted rotors and ECB green pads(kevlar impregnated) pads to my d40, 50000 ks
Pads are rated to 600 degrees farnheit, cost a bit more then std nissan
They say they will almost double the pad life

Can someone tell me if this is possible, I would like to low range in a 2 wd setting, for caravan reversing, can low range 4wd be by passed

d40, arb canopy, tjm underbody guarding

Mechanically, yes. Someone who knows the electrics will come out of the woodwork and tell you which wire to put a switch across.

If someone could get me the wiring diagram i could most liekly work it out
and there is a way around the turbo timer stoppin you from locking the ute while it is running i have found out but its not recommended

If someone could get me the wiring diagram i could most liekly work it out
and there is a way around the turbo timer stoppin you from locking the ute while it is running i have found out but its not recommended

I've got the wiring diagram but having trouble putting it on the forum for you. There's 14 A4 pages in total but that covers both auto and manual trans.

Maybe PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

is there such a thing as a temperature guage for the turbo? I like to fang around the beach & then usually I just pull up, no idle or nothing, will be changing that now though.
Anyway if theres a turbo temp guage available i'll just idle til it drops down, problem solved, definitely dont want a fire

Latest posts

Back