^$%#^$%% Highway Robbery !!!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atlas

Reaction score
Howdy all,

Long story short, I needed to get a replacement key for my '09 D40.... How much could it be I thought, $100 max....

WRONG !!!!!!!!
$95 blank
$270 remote
$2.95 screw
$50+ to have it programmed...

Unbelieveable !!! Over $400 for a repalcement key !!! If that is not daylight robbery I don;t know what is... :angry::angry::angry::angry:

I was in a TOYOTA dealership about 5 years ago talking to a guy in the line at the spare parts counter. It seems some twat stole his CAMRY(I think) and stuffed the ignition. Bottom line, he was up for $700

I had to get another key for my Commodore, Holden wanted $100 - it was a captive audience kind of thing. The Commodore key can't be opened and the battery only lasts so long ... you want in, you get a new key. At least Nissan provide us with the ability (and the instructions) to replace the battery.

I had discussed this with Mr Minit (after I'd gotten the replacement). They did Commodore keys for $99, they were contractually bound to charge a similar price because of the encoding machine.

$400 seems excessive, but the technology that goes into providing a secure means of entering the vehicle isn't going to be cheap, and the high price (and I assume a lack of availability too - that is, only from Nissan) means there's less chance of someone getting your key copied while you're not looking.

The fact that I can change my battery and that I do not have to use the key in my door (which reduces wear on the key) means it'll last a lot longer. I don't have lots of keys hanging off my ignition key either.

End result - the only reason I'll have to replace my key is if I'm dumb enough to leave it behind on the sofa when I'm busted honking <insert name of super model> in a hotel room and I have to make a quick escape. And the chances of that ... I guess I'll be keeping my $400!

My wife's car pre X-Trail was a Mercedes A Class, now we all know the MB reputation for charging, but the new key whilst the vehicle was under warranty FREE and the one she broke by driving over it $70 including programming....

I have found Mercedes spares prices to be quite reasonable.

For example, all the filter prices (air, diesel, oil) thus far for our ML have been cheaper than equivalent filters for the Navara D40...

Sometimes reputations can be either (a) unfounded or (b) based on out of date information.

Howdy all,

Long story short, I needed to get a replacement key for my '09 D40.... How much could it be I thought, $100 max....

WRONG !!!!!!!!
$95 blank
$270 remote
$2.95 screw
$50+ to have it programmed...

Unbelieveable !!! Over $400 for a repalcement key !!! If that is not daylight robbery I don;t know what is... :angry::angry::angry::angry:

They aren't as readily available now as they were a few months ago but you used to be able to pick the whole thing up for about $150 and just pay for the programming and cutting. However while it doesn't save you much you can cut the cost of the blank down by getting it off fleabay. I'd also shop around dealers for the prices on the remotes and programming as some will program for nothing.

On the upside to be screwed by Nissan and only pay $2.95 you are getting a bargain there.

I got paraletic shitfaced drunk one night and woke up with no key for my Rodeo, stressed about it for while, then talked to holden, they gave me a key blank when i gave them the VIN no (on rego sticker), took it to a locksmith who came out and programmed it to the car, all up I think was about $350, and not once did I get asked for any form of ID, easy insurance job I recon.
PS found my key in my wardrobe (WTF!) the day I got the new key

I got paraletic shitfaced drunk one night and woke up with no key for my Rodeo, stressed about it for while, then talked to holden, they gave me a key blank when i gave them the VIN no (on rego sticker), took it to a locksmith who came out and programmed it to the car, all up I think was about $350, and not once did I get asked for any form of ID, easy insurance job I recon.
PS found my key in my wardrobe (WTF!) the day I got the new key

Always happens, you go and buy a new one and you always find the old one.

Went looking for my plasterboard saw the other day, couldn't find it and I searched everywhere through the garage.

Went and bought a new one, found the old one the next day.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back