Winter's coming!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason

Reaction score
When I started the truck this morning to come to work at 5.30am the air temp was 10 degrees and the water temp in the truck was 12 degrees. Coldest I've seen it so far on the Scangauge.

When I got the truck up to speed on the way in the air temp got as low as 8 degrees. She loved it.

It certainly is. When I took this pic last weekend at Hexham it was 9 degrees.
Hexham_Dawn_resized.jpg

Time to rug up! Bathurst in June is going to be chilly, it's going to be great!

Harden up you lot, I went for a swim at 6 clock this morning (OK so the pool was heated to 38 degrees LOL) :big_smile:

I am often on the road at 2am in Singleton, get down to minus 2 at time's in winter.

I have the heater full ball at those times, but then a again I am usually wearing boardies and a jumper.

Dave.

Wokka wokka wokka. You bunch of sissies. Your roads got ice detectors?

Now it's Tasmania's turn to call the Victorians sissies.

My truck used to have a permanent sheet of ice on it delivering down this way in winter. At times the bread would still arrive slightly warm (which made all the bags sag and the bread would squash), the slightly warmer temps in the back of the trucks would make condensation form on the outside of the fiberglass walls then because the wind over condensation while driving was below freezing the truck would become a big sheet of ice. The door latch on the back would freeze and be covered in a layer of ice every time you opened it your hand nearly froze and the checkerplate tailgate would be slippery and sheeted with ice whenever it was pulled out. On really cold nights this started at midnight when I left the depot but on the warmer nights where temps stayed above 0 it would happen at about day break and last until 9am when I got back to the depot.

My truck used to have a permanent sheet of ice on it delivering down this way in winter. At times the bread would still arrive slightly warm (which made all the bags sag and the bread would squash), the slightly warmer temps in the back of the trucks would make condensation form on the outside of the fiberglass walls then because the wind over condensation while driving was below freezing the truck would become a big sheet of ice. The door latch on the back would freeze and be covered in a layer of ice every time you opened it your hand nearly froze and the checkerplate tailgate would be slippery and sheeted with ice whenever it was pulled out. On really cold nights this started at midnight when I left the depot but on the warmer nights where temps stayed above 0 it would happen at about day break and last until 9am when I got back to the depot.

That's AWESOME. :top: I love Victoria.

It's an acquired taste! Pissing down rain, blowing a gale, pitch black and no street lights, or ice sheets forming on everything I gotta say even laying in bed awake not being able to sleep after years of shitty night shifts is still better than putting up with that each night.

does anyone use the engine heat up button? i don't believe it gets cold enough here on the coast to use it

I'm with Tony and it's not just something I do on the cold mornings, there has been the odd occasion where I've been in a hurry and forgot to wait for the glow plugs light to go off and there has been no ill effects but I wouldn't do it all the time for the sake of the 3 seconds it usually takes, which is less time than the garage door takes to open anyway.

Years ago in the older Hilux's or Cruiser's that mates had the glow plugs might take up to 30 seconds or so to warm up which makes today's engines a lot easier to wait for, but still it's not like waiting 30 seconds is a huge issue.

The D22's have an engine heat up button, it increases the revs at idle so it warms up quicker, not sure if the D40's have it.

Oh yeah I remember those, in old cars they used to call them Chokes but I thought there had been advancements in automotives technologies these days. :big_smile:

Yes, we dont have to pull the cable anymore,
just flick the switch and 'whalla' instant ecu governed rev rise.

Has'nt happened in the last 10 or so years here (global warming),
though still gets down to bout -1C, love the fresh mornings.

Back in the early/mid 90's here we used to get such frosty cold nights that you had to get up 1/2 hour earlier to defrost your car as it was encrusted in a 1/4 inch ice cocoon.
Could'nt open the door's, nothin.
No hose outside as all the taps, hose were frozen. cold water in a bucket would'nt do it, used to use a steel spatula at first to scrape the ice from the screen but that was too slow so had to try warm water, took about 3 buckets to defrost the doors and screen and you had to actually dry the screen as, if you left it wet it would freeze up again when you were driving.

In the early days before we had to cover them up you would get up in the morning and go to fill kettle or have a shower and FUCK no water coming out the tap, meter was frozen,
so had to fill up kettle night before so u could use it to defrost the meter in the morning,
got sick of that and eventully made a cover for the meter.
Though the one's that were new to the area with no covers, their meters would freeze so bad that it would crack the meter open and at about 11 oclock they would be defrosting and they'd come home to a water fountain.

Also i remember at that time I was working at the Seymour hosp redevelopment, the job was at framing stage and the slab, puddles, pine framing, everything was frozen solid you coud'nt touch anything and had to wait till about smoko when the rising sun warmed things up.

Yep, love the old Vic.

We'll be making people jealous they will all want some of this great Victorian weather

Yep, love winter, beats being hot and sweaty:big_smile: and stinky in summer,:big_smile:

Been about 9 at night getting down to 1-2 at sunup, last couple of mornings, ahhh love it.

Nearly time to crank up the fireplace, woo hoo!!

Yep love the winter,can't wait to get some turns on one of my snowboards.
Down side is they close the gates on the tracks in the high country so i think we will have to find some tracks out west.

Back