TJM Transmission Guard

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon

Reaction score
Having some issues fitting TJM's transmission guard. Firstly, fitting kit didn't come with required 50mm washers. Not a biggy, went and got a couple from TJM. Tried fitting it up again and it touches the transfer case at the back of the oil drain inspection opening. Back to TJM, they had a look and agreed something is definitely not right. They took some photos and are going to get back to me. I ripped the plate off and gave it back and will wait for the phone call. Not real happy about it, half a day of mucking around with it and got nowhere. I'll make sure they fit it up when I get another plate and it will be free of charge. So anyway, anybody else had issues with fitting the TJM underbody plates?

I got both guards for $450 but they were having a sale because of the field days up here. Normal price $550. Shaggy would you mind taking a quick photo of your trans guard where the access hole is? I can show the guys at the store and see what they think has happened. Did you fit yourself?

Hi Jon

I have taken a photo which i hope is what you want.Yes i did fit them myself and had a few beers doing them
If want any more photos just let me know or pm with your email address and i will send them up to you.
Time for a beer

Shane

Attachments

• 100_1091.jpg
    100_1091.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
no problems with mine either. will get under ute this weekend and double check for sure. I didn't need to get extra washers etc though.

I welded 100x10mm bar across my TJM transfer guard where it mounts to keep it off the transfer case and strengthen it and also cut the access hole out square and made a cover plate to go over as a hole there negates the reson for having the guard. I also had to put rubber between the sump guard and cross member to stop it vibrating when off road. I was dissapointed with the thought TJM put into these products and expected more for the price.

Cheers.

ok so i looked and it only has about a 1-2mm gap, but looking closely it shows no sign of it rubbing so far, no shiny marks at all and its been on for sometime.

I have the trans guard - no issues - got it fitted for free when had the vehicle serviced. Although I will check this weekend. Sump guard on order - should arrive next week.

Thanks guys and thanks for the photo shaggy it looks like mine is definitely sitting in a different spot but there is no room for adjustment. See what TJM comes up with but I'm starting to think I could make a better quality plate myself. Cheers.

if i recall there are a number of holes on those crossmembers for the transfer case. maybe you need move whole plate left or right. i've got a few photos of mine fitted in my ride section. maybe it will help.

Last edited:
No mate only one way it can fit and that is through the outside holes. Its with TJM now anyway so I'll see what they come up with. More than likely they will just order another one and then I'll get them to fit it up. I'm over stuffing around with it. If they can't work it out I'll get my money back and take it to a sheetmetal place so they can knock something up that will fit.

strange mine used the 2 inside holes. As you can see its already saved my transfer case from a big rock i dropped onto. i my opinion bash plates are more important then just about anything if you are going offroad

Last edited:
Yep mine was the same as that, sorry I was talking about the holes in the crossmember itself not the plate. I wish I had some photos to explain it a bit better but I took them with TJM's camera and don't have a copy and obviously the plate is off now and in the shop.

What year is yours Jon? I have just ordered the TJM sump & transmission gaurds for my 09 model, hopefully they go on ok. Firstly though when In at TJM the sales guy siad they didnt make them for the 08-09 models, so I got him to call someone who knew a little more and was told there was only very minor differences between all models and that they should bolt striaght on with no troubles........time will tell.

No good, mate bought his first for Thai built D22 and nothing seemed to line up correctly, didnt come with the correct washers needed. Sump plug wasnt accessible & plate rubbed and vibrated on sump itself. Took it back to TJM, they wanted to cut the holes bigger?? He ended up getting money back and now looking at the Brown Davis gaurds. So I think I will pass on the TJM Gaurds for my Jap built model even though it might be slighlty different, not interested after their efforts in just wanting to cut a big hole in the bash plate.

i have a brown davis guard, and im thinking about getting rid of it and going to the tjm guard.
the brown davis one doesn't have any holes to service the vehicle so everytime i change the oil i have to remove the bash plate, which is a big pain in the ars.
does anyone have any photos of them d22 bash plate fitted?
i might get one and get rid of my brown davies one.

I think the TJM ones would be better on the older model D22's but as for the newer 09+ models they are useless in my opinion. Now you mention that the Brown Davis has no access holes for sump turns me off them also, mine is one of the last of the 09 Jap built models so might have to go back to TJM and see what they think? No good for the Thai built models though.

i dont know wat my model is...it says MY09 so im guessing thats the newer thai built ones? or jap? i cat remember which way around it is

the first letter/number in your VIN is what county it was made.... J is Japan

Latest posts

Back