D40 to R51 compatibility

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viclodeo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering what accessories are compatible between the Navara and Pathfinder that aren't fitted in the different models.

There is only 2 that I am aware of thus far; the Ambient temperature sensor from a Pathfinder is compatible with the Navara and is already pre-wired into the loom. I have done this and it works a treat. Another is the Pathfinder indicator stalk works to utilise fog lights pre-wired into the D40s when installing fog lights that are not fitted as standard.

Does anyone have any information on the compatibilty of Pathfinder steering wheels with the stereo controls into Navaras?

Also post up any other accesories that can be mix'n'matched.

P.S.
As a side topic, it may interest some of you to know, I have utilised the blank hole on the opposite side of the dash to the hazard button, by getting myself another hazard button and modifying it to operate my roller door. :proud:

Cheers.

You can get switches that are a perfect fit for that hole like I used for my driving lights

th_DSC01018.jpg

I use the blank in my dash for another Aux/cig lighter but it wasn't a genuine Nissan cig lighter, I was too scared to ask them for a price.

I did pose the question in another thread as to whether the climate control system from a Pathy could be put in a Nav but it doesn't look to be a widely known topic.

Depending on the price of the wheel with the stereo controls I'd consider changing if the wires were there but it would have to be a low cost on the grounds that reaching the volume control really isn't that difficult. It might just be a matter of getting the plastic surround (which some guys are getting replaced under warranty) and the switches, Nissan would no doubt charge a fortune for everything they can but I wouldn't be suprised to see the wiring in place.

Given how close the Nav and the Pathy are I'd say most things to the back doors are interchangeable, there would be some that aren't I'm sure but even the ones that are would have different part numbers so they can charge different prices for them. I know my local dealer wants two different prices for the Ambient sensors, it took them a while to believe the Nav actually had one listed but when they eventually found it they found a higher price for it too.

I was pretty lucky in the fact I mentioned to the wreckers I got this gear off of that the ambient temp sensor "may" work but wasn't sure. He just said yeah ok ill throw it in and you can have a play. (!) I found out later that you can pay up to $170 for this little thing!

Pathfinder rear doors would look very cool! Ill have to have a play with that dash and see if there is wiring existing for the Climate Control.

Cheers Mate!

That was lucky I'm yet to find a wreckers who have any pathy's in let alone know about the sensor, I am however still in the process (albeit very slowly) of making it work for about $2

Does anyone have any information on the compatibilty of Pathfinder steering wheels with the stereo controls into Navaras?

I was just going to ask that question as I have spent past 2 weeks driving another vehicle with steering wheel radio controls. I reckon the R51 steering wheel controls will fit but are unsure whether the wiring is there.

Gus

I just had a brief look in the manual was couldn't find any reference to the steering wheel controls, I'm sure it has to be there somewhere although being in the manual doesn't automatically mean it will be there in our trucks either.

There as some guys who've had the plastic off their steering wheel so hopefully they might be able to shed some light on what is there and what isnt

FYI the ST Navara's have the steering wheel controls for the stereo and the bluetooth handsfree just like the pathy's so I am guessing they should be closely linked/ can't be too much difference.

FYI the ST Navara's have the steering wheel controls for the stereo and the bluetooth handsfree just like the pathy's so I am guessing they should be closely linked/ can't be too much difference.

They are a different headunit, it may not be wired for remote control.

Stu

PS. One reason why I got the ST over the ST-X was the steering mounted controls, bluetooth, remote fuel cap release and free onroads plus a few thousand in savings.

That's probably a fair point even if the wires were there, with nothing to connect to in the standard unit they'd simply terminate in the loom somewhere and it may be a needle in the haystack finding them.

Given that the downloadable D40 manual covers the entire model range from about 06 but doesn't highlight every change between the models getting the R51 manual where the controls were standard might show the actually wiring loom that handles the remote controls. I think I have the R51 manual here somewhere I'll have a look later and see if it's got any reference to wiring from the wheel.

If there were wires you could buy a ST unit and steering wheel...or just reach a bit and adjust the volume with your hand.

Considering for the majority of the time I leave the same 6 cd's in and just let them cycle through I consider the reaching option the best. When there is a need for more tunes the ipod sits on the passenger side with the wife at the controls anyway so it's not a huge deal for me to control the volume from the wheel.

It's one of those thing where it's nice to have but if you don't have it the world is not going to come to a crashing end.

Gear from the ST may not fit as I beleive they are made in Thailand and the ST-X is still made in Spain hence the differences in length etc.
Some of the UK models come fitted with all the accessories in the R51 so in theory there might be the connectors there. I remember there is some extra connectors behind the heater control panel so that might be the ones for the Climiate control.
Guys in the US did the swap from a Pathy into a Frontier and it all fitted so in theory all Climate control and steering wheel controls should fit. I remember one of the guys on another forum did the conversion to steering wheel controls for the sound system and even did an install with a Pioneer head deck I think ti was so yes it should be able to be done.
Navara ST-X ( Spanish Build ) and D40 Frontier have a lot of similarities and even share many part numbers the same.

Latest posts

Back