Engine oil cooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCV

Reaction score
Hi

Its NP300 2.5 YD25DDTI year 2016

Im from Malaysia

Im thinking to use engine oil cooler, cooled by air. Original engine oil cooler is cooled by coolant, attached near the oil filter

Any source of the oil cooler kit?

Could i maintain the original oil cooler and add air cooled engine oil cooler?

Or i need to take out the original oil cooler?

And...any aftermarket drop in air filter?

Thanks

not sure where your oil coolant hoses come from on the D23 but you can get an adapter that fits between the oil filter and the oil filter housing that has the 2 coolant hoses attached plus the cooling radiator that you mount where you want.

Are you having cooling issues? Oil and water are usually supposed to be pretty much the same temperature. An extra air/oil cooler in conjunction with the water/oil cooler would take some stress off both systems.
I dont have an np300 so dont know the ins and outs of it or where you would plumb your oil lines. There are plenty of universal coolers in all shapes and sizes on the aftermarket.

unless you are racing you won't be pushing your engine hard enough to warrant an external oil cooler.

If you insist on running one I think I have a build thread on it somewhere or it will be in my main build thread

Thank you for kind replies

Ambient temperature here around 35-38 celcius
I always drive long distances usually 7 hours....stop only for fuel.

In my Volvo S60 T5, i have installed air cooled engine oil cooler and engine feel better

In Malaysia its difficult to get stuff for NP300. Will oil filter adapter plate from Navara D40 fits in NP300? Got adapter for NP300 in Australia?

Thanks

It might be an idea to fit coolant and oil temperature gauges just to see what's going on. Who knows?.. It might be ok.

You might be able to use an OBD scan tool? I'm not sure, its all strange magic to me, all my cars are from the olden days.

Thanks

Where to tap engine oil cooler temperature sensor input?
we used to remove the engine oil sump pan and drill then weld a suitable threaded nut to allow the oil temp sensor fitting to be screwed into the sump. just remember if you do this just make sure you fit the sensor in a safe place on sump so if you out bush it wont get ripped off if hit by a log or whatever, back end of sump maybe a safe position.

My pressure and temp senders are on one of my oil lines but I run a remote cooler. If you buy a sandwich plate from advance adapters it will fit but you will need to modify the oil filter mount to fit the plate

Thank you guys

Is the oil sandwich plate/adater in universal size? Cannot find specific for Navara here.
Maybe can use from another model?

Tapping from oil pan is nice idea...i do 100% on highways. Never off road adventure yet.

On my usual trip....many hill climbing roads, usually temperature rise on hill climbing roads.

Maybe i will fit a fan behind the cooler, it helps if stuck in stop go heavy traffic.

About auto transmission cooler, the OE one is big enough

What's up mate. That's overkill for the NP300, on my old yd25 engine i towed a very heavy dual axle trailer for 1200 kilometers with steep hills pedal to the metal all the way and never had a single problem in 90 000 kilometers, and that model did not have the oil cooler, transmission cooler, power steering cooler, turbo coolant inlet, etc.
I'm from Panama and here we have 36-
40 degrees celsius with a very humid and salty weather as i live 1 kilometer from the coast and the roads are all near the coast.
However if you still want to carry on, you could put the external oil cooler in the exit line of the stock cooler. Just remember that the car was designed to work on harsh environment.
I pull my dual axle trailer for 250km 6 times per year(race season) and my atv trailers every 2 weekends for 160 km, i have 15000km right now on my yd25 NP300 and not a single problem for me(knock on wood)

Will an obd scan tool or some other black magic involving smart phones with apps not work on NP300? It would be an easier way to monitor temps if so.

I think oil filter relocation is nice...have holes for sensors and can relocate the oil filter,

Original oil filter on NP300 quite difficult to reach

I just affraid how solid and robust the relocation. ...afraid of oil filter leak due to vibration when going on rough roads

Thank u guys

My pressure and temp senders are on one of my oil lines but I run a remote cooler. If you buy a sandwich plate from advance adapters it will fit but you will need to modify the oil filter mount to fit the plate
Do you have a picture of how you set it up with adapter plate etc

I do in one of my build threads somewhere, however the YD25 comes with a factory heat exchange that uses the engine coolant system to moderate the oil temp. The heat exchange is located just below the oil filter housing.

If your coolant temps are in check then your oil will be a similar temp.

As stated before, an aftermarket oil cooler is not needed unless operating in extreme conditions

Latest posts

Back