after market power steering

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crossy

Reaction score
im now the proud owner of a 1996 d21 navara 2wd, the only problem is it doesnt have power steering, i beleive it has wishbone steering, ive had a bit of a look into after market steering setups but kind find alot. if you can help me out in any way it would be greatly appreciated. im also a 4th year heavy diesel mechanic for caterpillar so i have a good mechanical understanding

You looked at wreckers for factory power steering?

Apart from which, it's a RWD, does it need power steering? I don't think I've ever owned a RWD with power steering.

see thats where im uncertain i own a 720 aswell which is 2wd with no power steering and couldnt find a thing and the same thing with the d21, i cant even find anything which suggest that u can bolt on a power steering setup or if any 2wd d21 came out with power steering, id like to have power steering because it makes it an absolute pig to park but then again its not crucial to have it more of a luxury thing i guess, its good to get some feedback anyway thanks a millon

Is the steering setup any different in the 2WD compared to the 4WD?

WHen I replaced my '86 Z24 with a '99 KA24E, I managed to hook up the power steering pump from the KA24E to the reservoir and steering box already in the D21. I'm not convinced that I couldn't have used the existing power steering pump if I'd made a bigger effort too. I reckon they'd be pretty transferable.

I'll check out the manual later and see what I can dig up on that too.

yeah 2wd doesnt have power steering at all, can it bolt on to the steering system i have now or do i have to change it all out. ive got a manual for it coming in the mail so im hoping with fingers crossed it tells me if its possible

Mmmmmmmmmmm.

I threw a 4x2 power steering kit in the bin last August.

I threw a Pathfinder steering box in the bin last month.

Twice now I've regretted not stripping and storing them, but then again if I had nobody would need one.

Let's have a look on FAST...

The 4x2 and 4x4 power steering boxes have the same part number. Compatible. Sorry for throwing mine in the bin.

Now, 1996, you'd have a KA24E, yes? Surprised they still fit armstrong steering to them in 1996...

As best I can tell, the pump assembly doesn't change with engine or 4x4/4x2, so you can get one of those from anywhere. However, mounting bracketry varies greatly and I can't really tell if the brackets from a Z24 are compatible with those from a KA24E, they look like a similar mounting pattern but I don't know about interference, so you'll have to trust Pinelli that the bracketry between Z24 and KA24E are relatively compatible.

All other relevant parts are universal.

Now, my favourite part: Parts which are also D22 compatible -
KA24E mounting bracketry
Power steering pump
Universal parts (reservoir, piping)
The steering box looks like it might work with some massaging - different part number, but not indicative that it won't fit.

So that broadens your search. I wouldn't bother with aftermarket when Nissan already made a million perfectly good units.

Go and harass some wreckers, or keep working on those pectorials till a kit comes up on eBay. It happens.

Last edited:
see thats where im uncertain i own a 720 aswell which is 2wd with no power steering and couldnt find a thing and the same thing with the d21, i cant even find anything which suggest that u can bolt on a power steering setup or if any 2wd d21 came out with power steering, id like to have power steering because it makes it an absolute pig to park but then again its not crucial to have it more of a luxury thing i guess, its good to get some feedback anyway thanks a millon

Power steering IS crucial... when you want the missus to drive it.

Mate if you can't find a 720 power steering kit for your 720, try fitting a D21 kit. The part number is the same so it should fit. As for mounting bracketry, depends what engine is in it?

From the Haynes manual (american, but usually accurate)
Manual steering
man_steering.jpg

Power steering
power_steering.jpg

oh excellent thankyou very much to both of you, thats exactly what i was looking for, if i get a power steering system off a 4x4 all i have to do is change steering gear assembly and cross road and bolt in resivor and mount the pump to the engine... one last thing though what is the size or part number of the fan belt of the 4x4???

Meant to add that being American, this is for a Left Hand Drive! might change geometry a bit, but shouldn't change what you are trying to achieve.

if i get a power steering system off a 4x4 all i have to do is change steering gear assembly and cross road and bolt in resivor and mount the pump to the engine... one last thing though what is the size or part number of the fan belt of the 4x4???

No, steering arms do not need to change. 4x4 box will bolt to your 4x2 linkages. Same part number, same part, same dimensions.

I would just go to repco and ask for a power steering belt for a 96 4x2 Navara. They look in a book and give you a bosch belt. That's how I got my belts.

Last edited:
oh even better, one thing where the steering cyliner connects onto the cross road on the diagram above theres a mount or bracket, i looked at my cross road theres no bracket or bolt holes will i need to weld something on, also do u have the part number of the pump ???

oh even better, one thing where the steering cyliner connects onto the cross road on the diagram above theres a mount or bracket, i looked at my cross road theres no bracket or bolt holes will i need to weld something on, also do u have the part number of the pump ???

That's just a steering damper, not required on 4x2.

49110-490 PUMP ASSY-POWER STEERING

Expect to find a big long supersession chain, so just fit any pump, if you get all the parts from the same vehicle it will all connect together.

Your engine IS a KA24E isn't it??

indeed it is ka24e, i realised it was a dampner when i was looking closely to the oil lines

Okay, well you might find life easier if you try to get the pump mounts from a D22 with a KA24E, or a D21 with a KA24E.

yep i sure will thankyou very much i couldnt find anything but you guys gave me all the info i need im glad i signed up to the site

im having issues converting my 88 4x4 twin cab with the z24 from manual to power steering. i found a matching kit out of a similar aged king cab navara but the steering shafts were different sizes due to the power box being longer. the original shaft is too long and the new one is too short. can anyone throw some advice my way please.

Back