ARB Nitrocharger sports shock absorbers - front

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aido

Reaction score
Here we go.
A brief backstory. I will post up another thread detailing the full suspension evolution but for now this should suffice.
09(Thai)D22 navara dual cab utility STR with Nissan factory steel bar and a winch loaded with 30m of steel cable.
Standard shocks - now landfill
Lovells Gas Legend shocks - filling in part time.
ARB Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sports shock absorbers - Best thing to add to my vehicle in its current state but......
After only 3 weeks of fitting them and a 3 day trip across the Victorian High plains they were suspected to be at fault - turns out the standard torsion bar had failed. More in the full suspension trauma thread upcoming - but removed them and noticed that they were not all they were cracked up to be as a direct replacement. I warn anybody in the same circumstance considering them to take caution in fitting. DO NOT TAKE ADVICE FROM ARB IN REGARDS TO THE "MODIFICATIONS" REQUIRED TO FIT THEM.
Upon inspection both shock absorbers have a deep gouge in the outer body and damage to the gaiter / rubber boot that protects the hard chromed shaft from mud and dirt. The reason for this is because the upper control arm comes in contact with the shock absorber at full compression. Disheartened with this I went into a Melbourne Western suburbs purveyor of ARB Holy trinkets and explained the situation and was somewhat taken aback by the reply. ARB have notes on how to fit these shock absorbers on they're computer system that are not included in the fitting instructions contained within the packaging of the shock absorbers. The notes are to the effect ( I could not get a printed copy ) "the control arm will require modification and grinding to make clearance" and the manager of said trinket store said that this is common practice.
:stop::stop::stop:
Not on my vehicle!
1. I have enough problems with my front end as it is without making modifications that will give Nissan another out clause.
2. It is illegal to perform such act without undertaking NDT (Non destructive testing) thereafter being inspected and signed of by an engineer.
3. It is supposed to be a standard, direct replacement component for the OEM and it is sold as such.

Now I have an enormous problem with the fact that ARB are recommending that material should be removed from the control arm by either an end user or that it is done in house when you drop your vehicle in for them to do it.
I am currently seeking re-reimbursement for the units I have bought and I claim that they are not fit for purpose. I cant put up too much more as they are to be inspected fitted to the vehicle next week and they will make a judgement then.
I have however collected documentation from Vicroads stating that this is in no way legal and should not be done unless the control arms are subject to non destructive testing and approval of a vehicle engineer. It will be put in front of an ARB representative this week if they even hint at the suggestion that I should modify my control arms.

Having said all that though they are definitely great shock absorbers and are well matched in damping rate to the new torsion bars I have just had fitted - the Bullock dray feels like it should have when it left the factory.
Just a small sticking point:victory:

Hi Aido,

I agree - I would have a HUGE problem with anyone taking a grinding wheel to my vehicle in such a way. It will be interesting to see the outcome of this debacle.

If they ARE pushing an illegal modification, then they should be rightly taken to task. I can honestly say it would be the first such instance to my knowledge. Hand on heart.

Who was the seller - ARB Factory or "just a dealer"? And where did the "notes" come from - ARB factory directly?

If this came from the ARB factory, then why leave it here? Why not take this to the 4wd motoring press? It could be argued that as a member of the 4wd community you have a responsibility to that community to bring this issue to wider attention...

Food for thought anyway.

Hi Aido

That the reason I put a complete EFS lift kit in my navara.I had a look at OME but wanted an extra $700 dollars more for the complete lift .OME shocks are supposed to made by Monroe shocks???
Good luck when you talk to ARB

Shane

Been having a think about this today...will be very interested to see how it plays out as it sounds very "un-ARB"... As a company, they seem to be rather risk averse when it comes to covering themselves. That is to say, they don't seem to like leaving themselves open to the possibility of flow-on litigation. It makes me question the origin of the direction to grind/remove material from the control arms, or possibly the level of detail provided. For example, does the information provided state that engineers certification would be required? Hard to know without a full copy of the doco. Hard to say definitively what has happened without knowing EXACTLY what has transpired and I am almost embarrassed that I was the first to jump on the bandwagon and say "shame on them" when I patently don't know what has happened here...

I am happy to take you (Aido) at your word however, and will await the result eagerly.

As an example of how far they will go however in order to keep customers on side, and to avoid problems down the track, I know of one person whose rear bar failed on their vehicle. Due to a combination of factors, the bar failed due to misuse - basically, the owner didn't understand that using an offroad style coupling (that moved the hitch point rearward of the original towball point) would overload the rear bar.

The bar was designed with a max towball design weight of 350kg. According to ARB engineers, as his van was configured, with the hitch he was using (with the hitch point, or fulcrum, further rearward than designed with the supplied gooseneck) the actual towball download was in the order of 430 to 580 kg. So the bar failed. Yet ARB replaced the bar anyway.

Since that has happened, ARB have apparently updated usage instructions to reflect the fact that owners will have to do some calculations if they start changing fulcrums etc, and start using non-standard ball mounts.

THAT is the company and the reputation that I know, and goes some way to explaining why I have bought probably somewhere between 40 and 60 grand worth of gear off them over the last 20 or so years. I'll always defend companies that I think do the right thing, but equally, I'll always hang the ones I find doing the wrong thing.

The calculations their engineers used are available for those who are interested... They make sense, and are simple physical extrapolations.

I have heard of this requirement to grind clearance into the control arm before for large bore shocks, but for the life of me I cant remember where.

I have in front of me a current ARB price list for their NISSAN compatible products. This price list makes special "NOTE" of things the customer should be aware of regarding the product listed. For example with regard to SAFARI SNORKLE It says

"(SS725HF) Navara 2002 On Diesel 3L & 2.5L Single Battery Models Only - Note Induction Noise N...."

The rest was cropped during printing but the point is it serves to notify the buyer that there is a caveat with this product, namely, an increase in induction noise.
It makes no such note/warning of any sort regarding the NITROCHARGER SPORT SHOCKS.
Having said that, as I stated at the outset, I HAVE heard of this grinding issue being necessary before but it may not have been for the OME product. If I can find where I'll post it.

ARBshockabsorbers001.jpg

ARBshockabsorbers002.jpg

Forgive the pics but they should give you an idea of whats going on in terms of the shock absorber contacting the control arm. They were taken on the phone last week when I needed to quickly get through further details. Anyway.
I acquired these shock absorbers through an agent / reseller of ARB products and is a friend of mine. He was told by his representative that I needed to attend an ARB store to have them assesed and so I did.
The store that I presented these to - dropped one on the front counter - is an ARB Franchised / licensed store only and not directly owned by ARB Corporation and this is where I need to be a bit careful. ARB Pty Ltd are yet to make an assesment on them as they have not yet been privy to the whole story nor have they seen them fitted or otherwise. I will however be attending ARB Dandenong (company owned store) this week - More time out to sort problems with this bloody car.

However, and this is the important bit of the argument, I was told in no uncertain terms by the manager of the franchised ARB dealership that they would not be covered by warranty because as part of the fitting notes provided on the product specifications in their computer system that "Material would need to be removed from the control arm to create clearance" - I cant remember exactly the wording but it was to that effect and I was shown this on the computer screen. The Manager of that store then went on to say that the person that supplied these shock absorbers had a responsibility to pass this information on to me if I was to fit them myself. Not surprisingly this was completely unknown to to the person that did provide them who then proceeded to hit the roof and call up his ARB sales rep to say how much he enjoyed his relationship with ARB.
I was also told by this manager that it was indeed common practice and "you should see what we need to do to fit suspension to a Hilux! We need to cut and weld in about 6 or 7 new brackets"

So perhaps things are different in your neck of the woods but I have certainly come across some horror stories down here in Melbourne regarding ARB and getting them to admit fault and process warranty claims.
Will update as I get more info.

A few things to note.
  • These are a new generation Nitrocharger sport
  • They are fitted to an 09 Thai built d22
  • ARB corporation have yet to have the right of reply have only dealt with a franchise store and a seriously unhappy dealer - has other ARB issues also
  • In no way has this affected the performance of the shock absorber to perform it's function but my understanding is that it definitely should not come into contact with other suspension components.
  • There was definitely no mention of either NDT nor an Engineers inspection mentioned when I was shown the fitting notes (not provided with the product)
  • I WAS told to "Go home and just grind out enough to create clearance" How much is that exactly? I did go home though!

My typing finger hurts now.

Mate, all I can say is that if the fitting notes don't include the information then there is no warranty issue in my opinion - either the data required to correctly fit the item IS INCLUDED IN THE FITTING NOTES so that any competent mechanic can install the items using the fitting notes supplied, or they can't knock back a claim. If you want some assistance in dealing with the Trade Practices Act issues relating to that matter, please let me know - I would be glad to help. I would, however, recommend that you give ARB headquarters the chance to reply first. If you are not satisfied with any progress you make, contact them directly yourself.

As you have rightly said - ARB have not yet had a chance to reply - don't let intermediaries play games with you...

I have the new generation nitro sport on my 08 built D40 (completely different vehicle, I know). Love the product. But either they fit, or they don't get offered for sale would be my thoughts as a consumer.

As I've posted in other threads...I've got plenty of stories (personal friends as an example) that would blow your mind with regard to great warranty support from them. We're talking support out in the middle of nowhere...not here in Canberra, middle of Aus...even reimbursement for out of pocket expenses for emergency repairs to keep going when a bullbar needed welding on a 100 series.

I was a member of Australia's largest touring 4wd club for quite a number of years - was a driver training instructor - and the number of miles covered by touring groups in that club was (and still is) astronomical. ARB gear is, by far, the most popular equipment for an obvious reason - it is solid, reliable, and you can get after sales backup anywhere in the country. Anyway, their gear cops a hiding, and obviously it fails from time to time. So some of the stories make pretty good fireside chat ;)

Anyway, as I said - I will follow your story with interest.

Last edited:
Aido if it makes you feel any better my Heavy Duty Dobinson Shocks touch the control arm at full extension also. It has left a small mark similar to your photo. Doesn't really alarm me as it only just touching and not going to wear right through or anything and even then its only the outside cover. It was my choice of getting a large heavy duty shock and not a thinner make. Its nissan that designed the arm to not really allow lots of clearance for HD shocks. I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow to compare. Dobinson shock is a big 36mm piston, 60mm tube not sure what arb are. I know efs enforcer (which i think are the standard ones they use in the efs kits) are only 32mm piston, 51mm tube so they won't rub as they are quite a bit skinnier. Though some guys might have put in EFS elite ones which are the bigger ones and maybe they are rubbing also on full extension.

Last edited:
Aido if it makes you feel any better my Heavy Duty Dobinson Shocks touch the control arm at full extension also. It has left a small mark similar to your photo. Doesn't really alarm me as it only just touching and not going to wear right through or anything and even then its only the outside cover. It was my choice of getting a large heavy duty shock and not a thinner make. Its nissan that designed the arm to not really allow lots of clearance for HD shocks. I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow to compare. Dobinson shock is a big 36mm piston, 60mm tube not sure what arb are. I know efs enforcer (which i think are the standard ones they use in the efs kits) are only 32mm piston, 51mm tube so they won't rub as they are quite a bit skinnier. Though some guys might have put in EFS elite ones which are the bigger ones and maybe they are rubbing also on full extension.

Yep when you look on the efs website on the parts list page it even tells you that the only one that fits properly is the standard ones which is why I went with them. In my opinion this type of vehicle (for me at least) doesnt need massive big bore shockies, I'll leave them on my patrol. Anyway being a new shock maybe this issue just hasn't come out yet. If it was me I would probably just take the rubber boot off as all they do is hold water and dirt anyway and I wouldn't worry about the small dint/scratch as it won't affect them at all. However in saying that you have every right to complain about this if you weren't made aware of the problem from the start.

Tough Dog Foam Cells also touch the upper control arm when driven hard. The lip of the control arm only needs about 5mm taken off and would have allmost nill impact on strength as it's strength is in the pressed shape not the metal along its lip.

Some people will be willing to make these illegal minor mods to fit bigger shocks but manufacturers should state that vehicle components need modification in order not to foul their products. ARB should refund you for the shocks as they they were fitted to their instruction and are not fit for purpose while keeping your vehicle legal.

Cheers

Aido, my Lovells do exactly the same! they've had plenty of punishment in the last twelve months and are still going well. I went with the bigger bore because of the extra weight in the front end, steel bar and a future winch.

The fact that any shock absorber touches on the control arm is illegal and also is unsound in an engineering sense because it causes a lateral force to be imparted to the shock absorber for which it was not designed. This can bend the rod causing it to leak or lock up entirely. Either way the shock may fail.
My point is that I was told so flippantly that all I needed to do was " go home and grind the control arm to create clearance" !
I already have numerous issues with the front end of my vehicle - F'rinstance the cross camber is negative 16mm on the right. This means that the front left is 16mm in front of the right along the centre axis of the vehicle. I am awaiting a new steering box, steering column and column universal joint from Thailand under warranty. I do not want to upset the apple cart any further and void warranties by grinding away at the control arms when in Pedders opinion (it took Pedders 3.5 hours to get this piece of shit to drive in a straight line!) either the control arms have been manufactured out of tolerance, the chassis mounts are welded in position out of tolerance or both. Besides it is illegal to modify any suspension component by the act of cutting, welding or grinding without performing NDT and obtaining a signature from a vehicle engineer that is willing to say "no worries mate!"

Haven't had time to get to ARB this week - perhaps next week work willing.

My point is that I was told so flippantly that all I needed to do was " go home and grind the control arm to create clearance" !

It did cause me to raise a eyebrow or three when I read a note to that effect in the OME Resellers Application Catalogue. ARB are usually not too bad with engineering, brush bar mounts aside, but advising installers to introduce what is essentially an edge crack into the arm, and the resultant effect on stress concentration, is stunning. All I can imagine is that ARB have consulted with the manufacturers and have been told that particular area of the section is purely a result of the manufacturing process and is disregarded in the design of the arm.

Even if that were the case, it's so unprofessional to tell customers to go away and do that. At best there needs to be a Service Bulletin from Nissan with instructions, to be performed by accredited tradespeople.

I also have the Nitrocharger shocks fitted all round and mine will be on the hoist when i get home on the 28th June so i will have a good look at the fronts and see what they have done to mine in regards to fitting them.

I have noticed alot of clicking and clunking since they have been fitted when reversing out of the driveway on full lock.

mine has the rubber boot cut aswell but not any dints.
arb suspension is sh!t, when i was up the cape a guy came up to my car and started bouncing the front of my car around. which i replied wtf are you doing?
he had arb suspension fitted 3 weeks before his trip in cairns and all 4 of his shocks were destroyed. but the top of the cape. which is like 1 to 2 thousand kms.

Im looking at new suspension and shocks for my d22 and looking at snake racing they have a 3" toughdog kit but they also provide you with new control arms.
I guess they are doing things the right way by going past the problem altogether and just fitting new arms that work with the new shocks.
right?

Latest posts

Back