boss load assist kit air bag

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweak'e

Staff member
Reaction score
just got in from installing boss load assist air bag kit on the single cab D23 np300 navara (leaf spring rear).
sorry no pics just yet. need cold one first.

so far the kit leaves a bit to be desired.
the bottom mount needs a corner cut off to clear a brake line mount on the axle.
the top mount doesn't fit all that well. the chassis it clamps around is tapered but the air bag mount is straight, so its doesn't fit all that nicely. especially as there is wiring and brake lines that it actually hits. had the pull the wiring clip off and bend the brake line a bit for clearance.

it would have been so much better if they had made the mount offset a bit and wider to clear everything.

no split convoluted tubing in the kits to put the air pipe in for a bit of protection.

the amount of air tubing was a bit tight. that limited where i could put the air valves.
also everything is imperial sized.

how does it ride? i'll find out on monday.

didn't get a chance to load it up today due to wet weather.
but driving around empty with 5 psi air pressure in the bags i found it hits rather hard. certainly lost the really nice comfy drive.
will see how it goes with some weight. it may be a weight vers air pressure thing.

had a half load on today. didn't need much pressure to keep the deck level. traveled fine.
on the way home with empty tray i dropped the pressure down to 2 psi and it was a lot nicer.
obviously don't need much in the way of air pressure in these bags.

are you not concerned with the chassis bending issues when using airbags with leaf springs.
just curious!

yes and no.
these ones replace the bump stops which is a load point so no real issue there.
most chassis break forward of the springs which is due to overloading.

if you look at most of the utes with broken chassis number one issue is overloading and part of that is bad load positioning. having the load to far rearward increases the effect of the load. your meant to derate your max load depending on how far back you load it.
thats why its more common on double cabs, extended decks and extended tow balls.

the trap to watch out for is just pumping the bags up to cover up the overloading.
you may not notice its overweight as its not sagging like it used to.

Ive had firestone air bags in the back of my d22 at 50psi for the last 200000ks. Two tonne trailer and around 600kgs in the tub, plus stuff on the roof rack, in the back seat, just about anywhere stuff fits.
No issues. But it is a d22!

Latest posts

Back