Thumping noise coming from LH side foot well

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stunub

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

Got a Dec 09 ST Auto with just over 5K on the clock. It's making a low frequencey thumping noise from the passenger foot well. Going to ring the dealer today but I was wondering if anyone else has heard this strange noise. :sad:

Stu

Well I took the car into the dealer this morning and the bloody noise has stopped! Going to leave it through the day hopfully it will rear up its ugly head and start making noises again.

I nearly missed out getting Muse tickets because I had to take it in this morning...

Don't think so Tony. Nissan Just rang and said it was a Boost Control Valve Servo, I'll ask more questions when I pick the car up.

Stu

So the guy at the dealership was really good and helpful, which makes me wonder weather it is a common fault.

Turns out the turbocharger boost control actuator round disk with the vacuum tube coming out of the top is not being aloud to close properly by the turbocharger boost control solenoid causing it to flutter which is making the noise I here in the cabin.

07062010174.jpg

turbocharger boost control actuator

I can't remember which solenoid it is so I took photos of the ones with vacuum tubes on them

07062010173.jpg

I think its this one

07062010175.jpg

could be this one though with the orange plug on top.

Cheers

Stu

Last edited:
Reminds me of that old viral email that went around years ago of pilot fault reports and maintenace replies.

Pilot "Theres a knocking noise coming from the LH front that sounds like there is a midget in there with a hammer tapping"

Maintenance "Midget located and his hammer taken away"

According to my Manuel (remember, it's an instruction book for a Spanish car, so it's spelt correctly) the turbo boost actuator is attached to the turbocharger on the inlet side. It should be clearly visible facing up towards the left side of the vehicle.

Yeah its the round shiny thing in the first photo, that is not the actually problem its the bit that controls it is letting it flutter when it closes. Just got to wait for the part to come to Wagga.

Aido, don't laugh pilot have written up worse...

I have a noise coming from mine somewhere, starts from tickover, like a surging kind of knock a few times up to about 2000rpm, I assumed the noise was coming from the gearbox (auto).

I also hear a thumping noise on the odd occasion from my ST Manual (11,000Km).

I haven't worked out what it is, and haven't followed up on it yet, but it sounds like quite a reasonable thump and I usually hear it when driving slowly, like pulling into or out of a car bay ... keeps making me think I've given something a nudge ... which I'm not :)

I have another noise behind the dash which Nissan have tried to fix twice but keeps coming back. Apparently a common problem where under load the clutch cable rattles against the fire wall ... sounds like something spinning / whirring against something.

I have noise coming from my tray, but then I let the Mrs out and the noise comes from outside the car...

So I got the new unit boost control valve fitted the other week and it runs beautifully, only took about 15 minutes to install which was nice. The engine seams more responsive coming up off idle now too which is where the rev range the emu noise was loudest.

Just a pity I had to go into the dealer and ask about the part, instead of them ringing me and letting me know when it turned up.

Stu

Mine is making the same noise, it flutters when i back off throttle witch is not uncommon of a turbo car but i get a slow flutter or liek the noise u describe under slight load accelerating. Dealer is test driving monday to see if its a problem.
Farking car is only 5 thousand Kays old. Piece of shit, i should have known nissan where still built crap.

I also hear a thumping noise on the odd occasion from my ST Manual (11,000Km).

I haven't worked out what it is, and haven't followed up on it yet, but it sounds like quite a reasonable thump and I usually hear it when driving slowly, like pulling into or out of a car bay ... keeps making me think I've given something a nudge ... which I'm not :)

I have another noise behind the dash which Nissan have tried to fix twice but keeps coming back. Apparently a common problem where under load the clutch cable rattles against the fire wall ... sounds like something spinning / whirring against something.

Yeah I've got something very similar on my RX 4x2 3000k's. It's a very light thump from the LHS front wheel area just after the ute starts moving particularly while reversing - also a lighter version whilst going forward. Like a suspension component settling into one place then back. I can feel it as much as hear it.

My clutch also rattles, but when engaged - and more pronounced when cold.

Every day with this vehicle I thank the lord for warranty.
Incidently - I was at the dealership the other day - happened to look in the metal bin. Chocka full of rotors and heads. Some of the rotors had enormous ridges but interestingly enough the friction surfaces were generally very smooth still. Must say something about the quality of the pads

Ok went to the dealer today.
I know turbo noise when i hear it but the dealer swapped the tail shaft and also took off the front left hub shaft assembly thinking it was a drive line noice, (note i took them for a test drive and replicated the turbo flutter and low frequency turbo noise).
They have logged ith with nissan australia for further assistance. Has any one else had any turbo problems in the d40?

i have st diesel only done 6000km same problem thumo thump noise noted actuator at idle just moves a little and seems jerky movement is in tune with noise i used a stetescope to hear it loudly cutting out engine noise. will take it to dealer. I also have a little rattle noise at about 1400rpm not sure if related or something else has anyone with this problem expierenced or heard a rattle as well

I have 2010 ST auto I had my turbo replaced under 1000ks but that ended up being the boost control solinoid. But mine also makes a thump noise when you back out of the shed give it a quick stab on the juice it thumps i havnt followed it up though.

i have same problem with my D40 diesel waiting on part to come in, the electric solenoid that controls the actuator they tell me, nissan has a new part to stop at least 90% that noise

I have noise coming from my tray, but then I let the Mrs out and the noise comes from outside the car...

I have an annoying whining noise from my front passanger seat. If I approach a corner really fast it turns into a screaming noise. It does seem to fade out with the introduction of alcohol to the passanger area though. I think if I replace the centre console with a fridge should help reduce the noise a little

Back