plastic moulding on steering wheel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HJWB

Reaction score
The plastic moulding on my steering wheel (where the cruise control is housed) is flaking paint off. Not a huge drama but it looks awful, anyone know what cost I'm looking at to have them replaced?

If you are friendly with your dealer try getting them on warranty, there is a thread around here somewhere and a few people suggest they have done exactly that. No idea what the price is but no doubt Nissan will charge like they are pure gold.

In less than 12 months mine has started doing it and since I get a long so marvelously with my local dealer I'm eventually just going to peel the entire layer off and either cover it with something or forget about it. Another option might be to try the wreckers but it does seem to be one of those things that is going to happen to most cars at some time or another so the wrecker option might only produce worse than what you've got.

i'll see if i can get it on warranty...fat chance though. been looking into carbon fibre, i reckon it would look awesome and probably cost the same as ordering the originals from the stealership. would just need to workout how to get the writing on it. hmmm

Nissan will cover them under warranty. Originally they called it wear and tear but if they knocked you back early on try again as they are replacing heaps lately under warranty.

Nissan will cover them under warranty. Originally they called it wear and tear but if they knocked you back early on try again as they are replacing heaps lately under warranty.

thanks Nizz, i'll give it a go. I'm still keen to have a play with some carbon fibre, maybe they'll let me keep the old ones so I can play!

The dealer that replaces them probably won't let you keep your old one as they need them to prove they did the work so they can be reimbursed the cost of the parts and labour from Nissan.

Mine's showing signs of wear now. Seems they actually put a coloured plastic film over the moulding - it looks thinner than cling wrap. When mine wears enough to bother me, I think I'll just dismantle mine, give it a sand, a coat of paint and then 2 coats of satin-finish acrylic lacquer.

Going to do the same with the plastic inserts in the doors too.

When you consider just how thin the coating of paint is it's not overly suprising and I can't really see any replacement they give out being much different. It appears some of us are getting more time out of them than others and I know on mines it's only the right hand side, the left hand side looks brand new. To me it's just another one of those cosmetic things that doesn't effect the car so it's not a huge issue, if the car has to go back for a recall I might get them to do something but otherwise it will get ignored until it becomes an issue and then it will be replaced with something different, I might go the retro look and get wood paneling.

Don't give us any ideas, Krafty, I'll have to get the tools out and carve a whole steering wheel from wood. That'll fix the peeling issue, but might influence the deployment of the air bags. Splinters anyone?

Although originally stated as a joke I was looking at the wheel before thinking that wood panel could be done if the right amount of other wood paneling was done, then I remembered someone on here asking a question about wood paneling a D22 (I think it was) in the last few weeks so I went and asked a mate about it.

Between storage sheds, garages and driveways this guy has nearly 30 cars each in a different state of restoration and he gets all his paneling no matter what sort made for him from a bloke down in Melbourne. He rattled off a name for me (which I've forgotten) and said he would get me a copy of the guys brochure showing some of the different jobs he's done. When he gets the book to me I'll find out a name for whoever it was that was interested in paneling their Nav.

When I bought mine a few months ago (bought 1yr old) it had a small flaking paint section as well on the right hand side of the steering wheel near cruise cont. switch

The poor finish on the trims seems to be a very common problem, when i took my 2009 STX in for it,s last service i had a bit of a winge about the peeling on the steering wheel as well as the finish rubbing off the front door arm rests. Dealer is going to replace it all under warranty. Whats the bet the replacements do exactly the same.

I have no delusions that if Nissan replace my steering wheel moulding tomorrow when the bonnet recall is done the same peeling will occur with the new moulding. In fact if they don't replace the moulding and tell me they are waiting for parts to be ordered then I wont even bother going back.

To me is a minor issue and something I can no doubt fix better myself given a little time and inclination but I also never expected that kind of part to outlast the car anyway. Considering there would have been times I've got in the car with diesel, dirt, mud, grease and who knows what else on my hands and could easily have rubbed it on the plastic while operating the cruise or just resting my hand there I'm not even willing to lay the entire blame on Nissan, to me it's just part of the wear and tear that all cars get in some form.

While Nissan have it for the recall tomorrow and given that its one of the few times they will ever see it they can either fix it on the spot or forget about it, I wont be loosing sleep over it.

I agree with Krafty on this one...

And I'm not a person who massages the gearstick while driving, but with only approx 37,000km on the dial, it amazes me how much wear is on the top of the leather of my gearstick... Can hardly make out the shifter pattern. Not that it bothers me - I know the pattern. But if someone who is not familiar with the vehicle needed to drive it, then it might cause them some concern.

Gear sticks have always been a common wear point in all vehicles and it;s not suprising when you consider how much use they get. When I used to deliver bread down to Phillip Island I tried on several occasions to count the gear changes I did in the truck over the 10-12 hour shift with 38 calls and about 300 odd ks and every time I got somewhere around the 300 mark I lost count.

You don't need to massage the gear stick all day to get wear and tear it just happens naturally with use and some vehicles handle it better than others but that still doesn't make them poor quality components. But everyone handles defects/features differently so something minor to some is major to others.

Back