A lot of smoke.........

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tickin

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I've had my D40 navara for just a few months now and love it, but i do notice that there seems to be a bit of smoke from the exhaust. I do realise that diesels obviusly blow a bit of smoke, but just seems to be a fair bit of it, really notice it in the rear vision mirrors at night in the car behinds headlights.
its a 2010 ST navara with only 2500km... bought brand new. anythign to be worried about or that seem normal?
I will mention it next service but seems to run ok, just the excess smoke thats the worry..

thanks

diesels obviusly blow a bit of smoke, but just seems to be a fair bit of it, really notice it in the rear vision mirrors at night in the car behinds headlights.

Do you ONLY notice it at night or is it visible during the day also?

only really notice it at night in the headlights of the car behind

Don't worry then - it's just a visual trick, the light makes it seem like there's heaps of visible smoke billowing out but that's perfectly normal. In the daylight, if you can't see sustained plumes of black/white/grey smoke, you have nothing to be concerned about.

^ Ditto. Best bet is to get someone to drive it away from you at a moderate pace so you can see for yourself (in the daylight). That should at least let you know if there is any smoke and what colour it is so that you can then look at why.

At 2500km, yours is still tight - it won't really start to loosen up until 10,000km or more (mine started loosening at about 13,000km).

no worries, thanks guys for the replies, ill check it out more over the weekend hopefully...

thanks again

Mine is a 08 stx D40 with 62,000 on the clock and its doing the same, pulling off from the lights it seems to fill both lanes with smoke, through the lights of the other car behind, no matter how easy i put down the power............ but during the day there is notting, bar when i really floor it and make it work .....

I must drive behine mine at night and see what it looks like for me self ............

Hey guys
try reseting your fuel system the nippon denso has a self learning system that winds it self up as your fuel filter gets more blocked but when you change your fuel filter it dosent back off and you get smoke and other fuel related issues

That should clear up your smoke dramas and also if you are using a bit too much fuel it generally clears that up also
i am unsure how to clear the fuel system with out the aid of a scan tool (i work for nissan ) but i have seen on here some where they have worked out how to clear it with out the aid of the scan tool

if that dosent sought out your dramas and based on the fact i cant see your car or touch it you could be looking at a fuel rail
hope this helps regards dan

give this a crack and see how you go

Guys, I'm compiling all of these tips into a single set of instructions with links back to the original posters' posts so that credit can go to those who provided the info. I think those who want to give it a go should and please post feedback in here so we can make this accurate. Also, if you find it difficult to follow, send me a pm and I'll do what I can to clear things up.

Here it is, so far:
__________________________________________________ ___________________________
Original post: Exhaust mod with DPF page 2 post 27081

Modifications to refine procedure are in bold.

D40 ECU RESET PROCEDURE
To carry out the reset do the following:

Warm up the vehicle to normal operating temperature then turn the vehicle off.

Turn ignition on so all dash lights come on.

Wait 3 seconds.

PUMP accelerator pedal 5 times within 5 seconds....

With foot now OFF accelerator wait 7 seconds...

After 7 seconds press and hold down accelerator pedal for 10 seconds...

After 10 seconds the Engine Management Light will start to flash, at this point remove foot from accelerator.

The Nav is now in diagnostics mode, so let the EML flash for a bit. Then press and hold the accelerator pedal down for more than 10 seconds - this will then reset ECU and fuel pump etc and put them into learning mode.

Holding the accelerator for that long ends the procedure.

From D40 Fuel Economy page 26 post 36741:
DO NOT TURN THE IGNITION OFF. Take the vehicle for a nice gentle drive, go through all the gears and then shut the vehicle down to finish the learning process.

NOTE: When the EML light is flashing, this is listing possible fault codes... so if you know how to read the fault codes or know the sequences then you can figure out any possible faults with your Nav with out getting the dealer to do it!! :D

From D40 Fuel Economy page 26 post 36627:
Seeing 1 set of 10 slow flashes followed by 3 sets of 10 flashes fast means there are no faults found or stored.

Hey ralphn the whole ECU reset thing has been done to death in another thread and several ways to do the reset are discussed, i.e. as you state or by disconnecting the battery.

You state above that you work for Nissan so is there a reason why someone at Nissan would suggest the manual or slow way (as it's been described similarly in the other thread) over disconnecting the battery which any monkey with a spanner can do?

kraftypg

If it was mine i would simply hook it up to consult as i do every other day of the week and clear the learn on the fuel system but not every body has the ability to do that and seeing how alot of guys dont wish to deal with dealerships it would be close to pointless to suggest it and as for clearing it with a gerneric scan tool im unsure of the prosedure
and as i suggested in my first message im unsure on how to clear the fuel system with out a scan tool so do a search for the manual procedure.
And becuse i was feeling a bit bored i did the search and copy and pasted it for every body
And the reason you would be wasting your time by simply discontecting the battery is becuse from memory(and i cant promise i get this the right way around) the fuel system is a eeprom which means it writes it self to the ecu and cant be cleared simply by disconecting the battery same as certain codes cant be cleared simply by discontecting the battery.
As i said i cant promise i got the whole computer system correct but that is surposed to be the princabels it works off but by disconecting your battery you will lose certain things one that comes to mind is the good old sub tank light on patrols by disconecting the battery for 20 secs or something it will go away
hope this helps regards dan

I have heard the eprom idea from other sources who work on different types of vehicles which is why I've always had my suspicions about the disconnection process but some swear it works just like some swear by other internet theories.

Thanks for your ideas, even if they might have opened a can of worms with some people.

kraftypg
Im simple id rather just plug it in carry out the clear and get on with the day
thats how i like to do it but like i said not every body likes dealers so what do you do im just asuming the whole procedure i coppy and pasted works.
Theses forums have helped me solve some of the biggest pains in the bum cars ever
by using diffrent oppions to that of what i have be told/taught
regards dan

I've only done the reset once using the key, my Nav gets decent fuel figures, runs as quietly as I expect a diesel to run and scangauge hasn't reported any errors so resetting isn't something I'm rushing to do just for the sake of it.

I've got some diag software given to me by a Canadian mechanic who does a lot of work on Nissans on my other computer (which I haven't really done much with yet) and one day I might see how it does the reset but with no problems thus far I don't see a need for it.

My mechanic has software for the vehicles that he maintains which does similar to the consultII stuff but given mine is the only Nav he works on he wasn't over impressed when I told him to talk to Nissan about buying the software.

Some people just don't have a sense of humour

kraftypg
I like your idear if it aint playin up dont play with it
regards dan

Back