D21 engine swap

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggi

Reaction score
Hi guys, need a little advice about my 86 d21 4x4. I have recently siezed the old petrol engine in it and dont have much funds to rectify this problem. i also have a d21 diesel 86 model as well (missing the gearbox and a few other parts but motor is intact and in good condition.) I am wondering if it is possible to transplant the old diesel into my petrol model and what modifications i would need to do. Im not sure if the engine mounts are the same or whether it would fit my petrol gearbox.... any advice would be appreciated.

Chances are the motor won't mount to the gearbox directly, but the gearbox can be split, and the bellhousings swapped. ie use diesel motor and bellhousing from diesel gearbox onto manual gearbox. Not sure how easy this actually is, but has been done.

Gearbox model will likely be 71C on both utes. Might be a good idea to check that first.

Diesel/Petrol

Wont the diesel box have different splines on the shaft? im sure cruisers do and thought (hopefully wrongly!) navaras do too?

The best person to speak to about it on here is Dion. send him a PM mate. You need to realise also its not just swapping the engine, you need to change fuel tanks and fillers ,filters,wiring fuel pumps the works.

I'm doing a petrol to diesel swap at the moment too (sometime this decade, anyway), and my plan for the fuel tank is to leave the original unbaffled petrol fuel tank with lift pump in, pumping into a 1L surge tank, and then have the diesel primer/pump suck from that. Return diesel goes back to surge tank, which overflows back to the main tank again if needed.

Any problems I haven't foreseen there?

How is that Petrol to Diesel convert going?

I have descided to not go down the road of ka24.
There's lots of TD27T exerience over the ditch " ORE"

glow plug power/cct. heavier starter cable. fuel lines and filters. different fwd section on the g/box. engine mounts. radiator. fuel shut off. tacho source.

Anything else....

But I think it's worth doing too, where do i find a wrecked Terrano

Slowly :)
I'm going to swap over the entire loom, inc dash, from the Terrano, so not sure how much of a pita that will be until I go to put it into the Nav. Also want to put in the climate control aircon controls, just so I can say I've got an 86 Nav with climate control and electric windows (it already has one electric window). I'm thinking it will all be reasonably doable, just time consuming.

Nav is currently being used by a friend, and work is so nuts I would be lucky to get to it once a month at the moment. Hoping that will calm down in a couple of months, but we'll see.

Not much left Dave. It's more or less all in. Just some fiddly bits with dash gauges and a few other small things. The anticipation is killing me lol :) cheers steve

Latest posts

Back