Full Length Roof Rack-suggestions?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesso

Reaction score
Gents,

Kitting up a 2006 D22 for touring. Will fit an ARB canopy. I would like to fit a full length roof rack as we will go with an OZTENT in a POD. ( fibreglass pod that you roll the tent into. Looks like a big cigar on the roof). The issue is finding a full length rack that stretches over the canopy and the roof of the cabin. Dont want to put shitloads of wieght on it. Just want the option to put stuff on a steel rack.

Some current options currently appear to be:
ARB- not available in full length

Roof rack city-can only do a basket- this is gay and I want something with some nuts about it.

Powerful 4x4 advertise full length steel racks for $799.

If I use roof rack city roof bars, could I use brackets to mount one of these on top?

Thanks in advance

Wesso

The problem you WILL have is the tray flexes differently to the cab and any full length tray will end up either breaking the tray the mounts or the canopy.

Don't forget you can get a 20% discount off retail on all Rhino rack products from me.

I'd suggest a couple of Rhino Rack Platform racks to cope with the length of the OzTent and forget about the OzTent pod. You might find cut down conduit tube handy for carrying the poles.

Enlarge_99_2007616_132529.jpg

Any question just drop me a PM

G'Day Rescue, I have been looking around also for a full length tradesmans type rack for the top of my D22 which has a steel tray and bar work on the rear, assuming I will have the same type of problem then with slight movement between the tray and cabin causing issues and/or breakages?

The Navaras are not as bad as Tritions but I noted on my own vehicle that there is enough flex to cause problems. The problem is worse if you have a canopy with its own internal frame TJM / ARB where the frame and canopy has some degree of flex built in, although the Rhino canopy posts are simply a bugger to fit and offer no real advantage.

The only other option is a tradesman style tray with a large forward overhang that is fitted to the tub only not the cab.

Thanks all for the responses.
Rescue-thats important information and thanks for the offer of a deal on gear. Id kinda like to keep the POD as we're looking to do the big lap for 6 months.....may have to rethink.

cheers
wesso

DONT go for a full length roof rack as i did got half way up to the cape and ended up with creases in the roof !!! I ended up buying a ARB three quater rack 1800 long X 1250 wide !it works a treat ! I have a Shippshape roof topper on it which is 2200 mm long on it

Spoke to the guys at Rhino Rack today and the only suggestion was to strengthen the Pod with some Aluminium extrusion and mount it to bars on the canopy. If the overhang is great you could rest the front of the pod on a single bar on the cab just don't fix the pod to the bar

will post a pic tomorrow champ !! I have cut the side rails off the top, shortened them and have rewelded them to the bottom , so the tent sits flat on the rack !!!

I've got ARB canopy with ARB canopy tradesman roof rack, it's about 1800x1350 tubular powdercoated steel. It's got reinforcing bars that go down to the top rail which runs along the top of the ute tub. Looks like a very solid setup, i would be confident to put a fair bit of weight on it. Highly recommended.

I have the internal reinforcing bars & top bars to suit an ARB low roof canopy; they came off my 2002 STR before I traded it in. Iam putting them up for sale if anyone is interested.

Thanks guys for the input. Im going an ARB canopy. Probably a set of roof racks on the canopy with a basket and another set of roof racks over the cab for a platform for a spare... havent settled on it all yet.

I checked out the ARB canopy and internal frame with canopy mounted basket setup yesterday. Very impressed with it all, and the guys at ARB took me out into the workshop to see 2 canopies going on to customers D40s, plus another ute with the frame/basket in place.

Top service from them, thats where I'll be spending my money when it comes in,

Thanks guys for the input. Im going an ARB canopy. Probably a set of roof racks on the canopy with a basket and another set of roof racks over the cab for a platform for a spare... havent settled on it all yet.
Somebody's been peeking haven't they

DSC01216.jpg

Back