Do I need more air?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big orse

Reaction score
Put a tunit chip on my d22 and am massively impressed. I am now running the following mods: dgas, 2.5' exhaust, high flow cat, egr and butterfly mod. I put an egt and boost guage on about a month ago and this little motor is running sweet with very reasonable temps under load. 450 degrees is the highest I've seen so far and that was on a 40 degree day towing my camper up a long , steep hill.

My question now is should I be looking at intake mods? ie Will a snorkle give it anymore air? Should I be using a uni filter? What mods have some of you done?

Cheers in advance.

Last edited:
snorkel should help, but how much i dont know. The air in theory will be cooler/cleaner and its getting forced down into the snorkel

ah and it cant hurt to have one....piece of mind for river crossings

big orse said:
I put an egt and boost guage on about a month ago and this little motor is running sweet with very reasonable temps under load. 450 degrees is the highest I've seen so far and that was on a 40 degree day towing my camper up a long , steep hill.

Hehe, you don't want to know what temps they get too with the probe before the turbo, long steep hills like you mention it's nothing for me to 600 degrees on the gauge, overtaking 3 or 4 in a row once doing about 130ks it peaked at 700 degrees, thats when I decided to get out of the pedal.

I got a Unifilter in mine, it does help with responsiveness a very small amount but bear in mind they are a pain in the arse to clean, so much so that I put in a snorkel sock if I am going out wheeling in a convoy just to save me having to clean the main filter after each trip. Also expect a lot of oil to come out of the filter, no matter how hard you wring it out to remove the excess it's never enough.

Last edited:
Cheers for your info joshy and shonky.

The thought of putting a hole in my front LH panel to fit a snorkel makes me cringe and there is no way I would let someone fit it, especially after reading that thread on 4wdaction where the moron installer attached the snorkel to the door.

I can live without doing deep water crossings, however, if there is a benefit to my motor I would do it.

Shonky, my probe is just after the cat on the first section of pipe and this may be the reason my egts haven't exceeded 450. I wonder now what temp 450 degrees after the turbo translates to before the turbo.

I reckon in some cases you could easily add 200 degrees to that just because of the heat absorption of the cat, my advice towing a camper up a long steep hill, drop back to 4th and keep the revs up around 3000 rather than staying 5th gear and labouring the engine, holding 5th up even a mild incline while towing will see the EGTs push well past 600 in my experience.

My cat is high flow cos it don't exist. The internals fell out with some much guided assistance. I am hoping I would only be adding around 100 degrees to my egt, but there is only one way to find out and that is to move the probe and see the temps.

With the dgas and chip my ute will pull 5th gear towing all day long but I prefer to use 4th also as it puts alot less stress on the box.

you can get an easy 200-250 degree drop across the turbo. you loose 100 degrees (i think) after the first 6" of the exhaust pipe from the turbo.
with sensor after the cat location (hiflowed or not) your looking at 300 degree difference.........ouchy :(

i'm looking at fitting an egt guage in the egr port on the manifold. that will read a whole lot better than after the cat thats for sure.

if you want to drop EGT's then fit an intercooler.

Last edited:
you can get an easy 200-250 degree drop across the turbo. you loose 100 degrees (i think) after the first 6" of the exhaust pipe from the turbo.
with sensor after the cat location (hiflowed or not) your looking at 300 degree difference.........ouchy :(

i'm looking at fitting an egt guage in the egr port on the manifold. that will read a whole lot better than after the cat thats for sure.

if you want to drop EGT's then fit an intercooler.

I think I may need to move my egt probe after reading this. Intercooler would be nice.

Ive got mine straight after the turbo, highest its gotten is 475.

has anyone actually work out exactly what the temp drop across the turbo is on these motors. i have a fair idea what it is for a lot of motors but a more exact temp would help.

anyone keen to fit dual EGT guages ?

Hehe, you don't want to know what temps they get too with the probe before the turbo, long steep hills like you mention it's nothing for me to 600 degrees on the gauge, overtaking 3 or 4 in a row once doing about 130ks it peaked at 700 degrees, thats when I decided to get out of the pedal.

I got a Unifilter in mine, it does help with responsiveness a very small amount but bear in mind they are a pain in the arse to clean, so much so that I put in a snorkel sock if I am going out wheeling in a convoy just to save me having to clean the main filter after each trip. Also expect a lot of oil to come out of the filter, no matter how hard you wring it out to remove the excess it's never enough.

i agree about the air filter, i have a uni filter and for my mind it was a waste of money.
id buy the snorkle sock's there good.
i reckon if you have done the egr mod i reckon you would be crazy to not have a snorkle or some kind of air intake mod.
but that's basing my decision on mine that when it was dynoed the exhaust gas is very rich, cause of the gas and chip,

Thanks for everyone's posts. I've decided to get a snorkle from Nissan and fit it up. At least it will draw cooler and cleaner air from a higher point.

Cyclone pre filter

What's the story with the cyclone pre-filter? Do we need it? I have seen on this forum, another member that gutted theirs. All my Hiluxes never had a pre-filter.

I wonder how much of a restriction it is compared to how useful it is as a filter?

the pre filter is fairly useless. ive had water and leaves go straight through it and into the main filter. also water can get in via the out let underneath. either block the outlet or just remove the pre filter all together.

interestingly the lastest D22 does not have the pre filter.

You will not be able to get rid of it without major work to the factory snorkel setup.

There are 3 tack welds on the end cap of the cyclone pre filter. I just ground them off with an angle grinder to remove the end to get to the inside. When I was done I just used black silicone sealant to refit it back on.

I also used silicone to seal up the rubber bung underneath.

I'm fairly sure I noticed a slight performance difference when I gutted it but you know how hard it is to really tell.

Latest posts

Back