TDC Technologies chip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jardsoooo

Reaction score
Hey you blokes apologies if this subject already exhausted ( nothing turned up on search ). I am looking at chips and have come across the TDC product - CRD2 Powerbox. Any body have any experience with these. They are quite cheap and generally you get what you pay for. I'm particularly interested in regards the 2.5 D40 ' deadzone ' under 1500 revs and any improvements to that - and in fact any chip in relation to that. I have the 4 x 2 - less grunt than the 4 x 4 so possibly the deadzone is even deader than some.

Hey you blokes apologies if this subject already exhausted ( nothing turned up on search ). I am looking at chips and have come across the TDC product - CRD2 Powerbox. Any body have any experience with these. They are quite cheap and generally you get what you pay for. I'm particularly interested in regards the 2.5 D40 ' deadzone ' under 1500 revs and any improvements to that - and in fact any chip in relation to that. I have the 4 x 2 - less grunt than the 4 x 4 so possibly the deadzone is even deader than some.

Hi There

Mate when TDC first appeared , I asked to become a dealer for them , However when I tried the MK1 on my Diesel D40 the power was far greater when compared to some other chips BUT no matter what settings I used the chip forced the ECU into limp mode and thats not something you want when going around a round about , Dave has since told me that the MK2 chip is supposed to be better and that the stall issue has been resolved.

Now that I'm on Gas I have no need the re-test any chips , so your on your own there

Good Luck Marty

Thanks for the reply Marty. What did the gas do for your bus. Did it help below 1500rpm.

Thanks for the reply Marty. What did the gas do for your bus. Did it help below 1500rpm.

I got more torque low end and and everything starts to happen around 1200rpm or there about's I also run a 3" mandrel exhaust system, its hard to tell as I have a constant load of 800kg and I'm used to the lag so the speak , but if I really give some of the lights I have no problems keeping in touch with petrol engine vehicles the 4000 rpm comes around way to soon before i need to change gears LOL

Cheers Marty

yeah hate to admit it but I'm starting to adjust to it as well - still bloody well pisses me off and getting a boat up a ramp is not something I'd eagerly volunteer this bus for.

and I keep meaning to ask - limp mode - presumably this is an auto thing only - like it gets stuck in 3rd gear or something ? what happens in the manual when the engine feels a headache coming on ?

and I keep meaning to ask - limp mode - presumably this is an auto thing only - like it gets stuck in 3rd gear or something ? what happens in the manual when the engine feels a headache coming on ?

Just doesn't rev. Basically gives you enough power to pull off onto the side of the road to contemplate what's gone wrong. I've only had it once, bogged in a mud hole. I also blew the intercooler pipe off, which is exciting, no power then either.
Just ignition off then restart to clear limp mode.

Last edited:
Yeah righto - I've followed an extensive thread on this subject with pics and all which appeared to exclude late models from this mod.

Some of the blokes on the forum dont appear to have a lot of faith in the ability of this mod to deliver power results tho general consensus was that it was good to keep shit out of your intake

Looks like you have picked up your D40 just last month. Has it had the EGR mod ? Can you post the rundown

I have a TDC chip put in 6 months ago. Very happy with the power etc, but I have gone into limp mode twice since. Once we were out 4wd in the mud, I put it down to the transmission getting too hot. Second time I was stuck in traffic for a while and I went to put my foot down and lost power. I have recently put a bash plate on over the trany. Could this be why it got hot in traffic ? Also the morning before the second time, the DPF light came on. This cleard its self about 20-30km before the limp mode happened. And to top things off, i have had the car stall on me a couple of times after I put the new 3" exhaust on which was just before the second limp mode. Turning to car off and restarting it dosen't work, I have to let it cool down for a bit first. I'm going to take my car over to the guys who put the chip in this week and get them to put it on the dyno again. Maybe they need to turn the chip down. The origonal dyno read out was 124hp, with the chip it went to 142hp. I have heard that the chip takes a few days to settle in and adjust its self. Not sure if thats true or not??? Any one else have this happen?
Mal

I have a TDC chip put in 6 months ago. Very happy with the power etc, but I have gone into limp mode twice since. Once we were out 4wd in the mud, I put it down to the transmission getting too hot. Second time I was stuck in traffic for a while and I went to put my foot down and lost power. I have recently put a bash plate on over the trany. Could this be why it got hot in traffic ? Also the morning before the second time, the DPF light came on. This cleard its self about 20-30km before the limp mode happened. And to top things off, i have had the car stall on me a couple of times after I put the new 3" exhaust on which was just before the second limp mode. Turning to car off and restarting it dosen't work, I have to let it cool down for a bit first. I'm going to take my car over to the guys who put the chip in this week and get them to put it on the dyno again. Maybe they need to turn the chip down. The origonal dyno read out was 124hp, with the chip it went to 142hp. I have heard that the chip takes a few days to settle in and adjust its self. Not sure if thats true or not??? Any one else have this happen?
Mal

I Mal

When I was testing the TDC chip ages ago , this happened all the time this is why I turned away from them altogether , try to turn the unit down a little and re-set your ECU , see how you go with that

Marty

Thanks Marty,
I will let the guys put it on the dyno first to see what is happening and then tell them to try and turn it down. They originally had it set on 9 but then turned it down to 8 cos they thought it was too high. I do believe I have lost a little power due to the chip not being in tune with the new 3"exhaust and dump pipe. I think more fuel is going in and not getting burnt. One thing I don't quite understand is, Arn't the chips and computers surposed to "fix them selves"? It's going in on thursday so I will let you know how I went.
How do you reset the ECU?
Mal

You will find that the TDC chip will go into limp mode lots when set that high , just get them to set it 6 or 7 you loose a little but at least you are assured that it wount go into limp mode when going arounf a round about or when you need to power to over take , this was one of the main reasons my chip lost its battle with life when it came in contact with the Hammer I was holding :cool:

Marty

Ok, I took my ute back to the dyno guys today. They had to turn the chip down to setting number 7. It went in to limp mode a few times when they were testing it, mainly due to the heat from the motor and the hard reving. I have lost a bit of power now its on 7 but if it dosen't go in to limp mode then thats a good thing.
So now I'm pritty much back to the same horse power as when I started. I should of done all of these things before I put the bigger tyres on so at least I could of seen what the changes were. Oh well. He did say if I put a snorkel on I might be able to turn it back up.
Mal

Latest posts

Back