D40 low range 2wheel drive

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil300

Reaction score
Hi guys,

On a D40 is there anyway I can fit a switch so I can have low range 2wd
would be great for pushing boat around yard. My son has a ford ranger and that has a switch.

Regards Phil.

Hi 08 Kingcab
can I put a switch on the 4WD servo so I get 2WD low range.
Were would the 4WD servo be found.
Regards Phil.

To be honest I'm not sure if it can be done, but it's located on the back of the transfer case, You could unbolt the front tail shaft if you never plan going offroad, save on fuel economy too.

I was interested in doing this on my new 2010 ST for exactly the same reason (reversing a heavy boat up a steep driveway so you don't need to ride the clutch).

I asked Nissan about it and they hadn't heard of anyone doing it, and mentioned it would void the warranty on anything regarding the 4x4 drive train if I did it so I haven't ... for now.

I suspect it would not be able to be done on the D40. Doesnt the D40 have a traditional sort of transfer case except the 4WD select lever has been replaced with a servo to put it wherever you select with the switch?

In the R51 (I have one) they are more like a GTR Skyline transfer as they have a multi plate clutch in the transfer case which takes the place of a more traditional coupling setup to put it in 4WD. On the Pathfinders forum they talked of putting a switch in line with the control signal to the clutch servo to disable that part while allowing you to still select low range. Unless the D40 shares the same transfer case (Which I did not think they do) then you could not do it with one of these.

Removing the front shaft would work but it would not save much fuel, given the hubs are full time engaged then the front diff and half shafts are always turning over anyway, all that would stop would be the front output of the transfer case. Nissan still say to leave the R51 in 2WD for best economy but I bet you could never measure the difference between that and auto mode. I leave ours in 2WD but only to save wear on the transfer clutch, I don't want to find out what replacing it would cost.

I would not expect that to be a problem, given that you can make them wheelspin on dry bitumen in high range, it would simply take less engine torque to do that. You do need to be a little careful though, my D22 ZD30 is the usual shocker for torque moving off uphill when towing, one day I was stuck in stop start traffic uphill towing my race car and was gong to be at it for ages so I slotted it into low 4WD as I leave the hubs unlocked most of the time. I had to be pretty careful about how I got off the throttle and disengaged the clutch or the driveline unwound itself with a hell of a thump. but at least doing that I could just idle off from a standstill every time the traffic moved a bit.

I think that the question of overloading the drive train in low range 2WD is overrated. When you are operating in 4wd low range, you often have all the drive torque transmitted to as few as one or 2 wheels. Same result! But as with everything, don't use the 2wd low range to rip and tear!

Has this issue been settled? Is it possible to switch the D40 to 2WD Low range.
Mazda service do it to the BT50s for about $150 but I'm not sure if the D40 has the same type of setup.

Latest posts

Back