engine bay noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayk

Reaction score
Howdy everyone, ive now done about 4.5k in me st. a couple of times i have had to venture out onto the highway. ive been getting a vibrating noise comming from the engine bay. it almost sounds like a tapet noise, but it does not happen at the same revs. its always at different revs. what i have noticed is it only seems to happen when the accelerator pedal is depressed more than half way. would anyone have any idea what it could be? i dont hear any tapet noise in my normal day to day running.

thanks,

jk

I checked your garage but couldn't tell whether yours is the petrol or diesel, or the manual or auto. It's probably not the torque converter, which seemed to be an issue with Spanish built diesel autos. If we know what kind of engine etc, our vague stabs in the dark will at least be a little closer to the mark!

It could just be (diesel) injector noise. Mine gets a little rattle-prone now and it doesn't bother me - personally speaking, if I wanted a quiet car I would have gone for one of those hybrid Malvern Star (electric lights, human power train) or even something by Nike in a size 12/13.

hi tony, thanks for the reply. its a diesel. its a loud vibrating noise. i guess it only happens when i put the foot down, rather than pick a better gear. maybe i am flooding it a bit?

Every time I see a thread along the lines of "vibrating noise in the engine bay..." I have a good chuckle. So tempting to ask "is it the engine??":sarcastic:

Seriously though, all diesels do the same. Mine does it. It's injector noise, as far as I'm aware.

It could be a little straining making its presence felt. You're probably running over-rich too, being a new engine. That'll end when the 10K service is done (if they remember), or the ECU is reset, whichever comes first. That won't fix the strain, only the appropriate use of the gear lever can do that!

if it was a light rattle it may be the airbox rubbing on the tube that connects with the body. we've had a few complaints of a rattle in the engine bay and 9/10 times its something as small as that.

i have had 2 noises in my new D40 Diesel Manual,
1st one, they fixed at first service, it was the brake lines rubbing on fire wall
2nd noise has not been fixed yet, but will be at 10k ,
its comming from the clutch pedal, it apears to be the pin from the peddle to the cylinder rod, virbatting, usually from about 2k rpm to 3k rpm under load.

Will let you know if they manage to fix it up or not !

when it happens to me im not thrashing it at all. it prob only happens in the 2-3k range. ive probably only been over 3k once or twice.

i have had 2 noises in my new D40 Diesel Manual,
1st one, they fixed at first service, it was the brake lines rubbing on fire wall
2nd noise has not been fixed yet, but will be at 10k ,
its comming from the clutch pedal, it apears to be the pin from the peddle to the cylinder rod, virbatting, usually from about 2k rpm to 3k rpm under load.

Will let you know if they manage to fix it up or not !

I think your on the money, mine has always done it under load and stops when i touch the clutch pedal, but it has just started doing it heaps more.

Every time i change gear it makes a horrible vibrating noise from the clutch pedal but havent been able to find anything under there,
I'll check that out!

I've had a similar issue fixed twice but it's back again. Under a little bit of load (acceleration) there is a 'whirring' / 'spinning' noise from behind the dash. It's getting worse and it's certainly not the engine.

Nissan found it ... something to do with the clutch cable vibrating on the firewall under acceleration. Nissan 'bent' it away and it worked for a few days but is back. Dealer came out to my work to fix it a second time ... 'bending' it some more .... worked for a couple of days and is back. They'll need to do a permanent fix when I'm in there for the next service.

I have the same noise. Comes and goes. Normally under acceleration and the viration is back through the accelerator. Have close to 100,000 on the clock. Never been able to get Nissan to fix as it is hard to get it to heppen regularly.

I have a similar problem with my, diesel auto D40. Only happens when engine is cold, under acceleration at 2k+. My local dealer service knob, recons they all sing at a certain rpm. I recon that is a cop out and it sounds like sh!t. Mine is so loud in the mornings it is almost embarassing to drive. Have spoken to other d40 owners and they have no idea what sound i'm talking about. So my guess is they don't all do it and provably shouldn't.

Hi all, I have a new st navara and have the noise from the clutch also from the start. It is embarrasing at times as it gets so loud. I took it back to Nissan and they said it was the clutch dampener and that they have had a few with the noise come back. They said they fixed it. It was right for two days then it came back. I will be contacting them again to get it fixed. I am not happy with the noise.

Shaun

I've had a similar issue fixed twice but it's back again. Under a little bit of load (acceleration) there is a 'whirring' / 'spinning' noise from behind the dash. It's getting worse and it's certainly not the engine.

Nissan found it ... something to do with the clutch cable vibrating on the firewall under acceleration. Nissan 'bent' it away and it worked for a few days but is back. Dealer came out to my work to fix it a second time ... 'bending' it some more .... worked for a couple of days and is back. They'll need to do a permanent fix when I'm in there for the next service.

I just had a noise in the dash fixed by Nissan....it was as you say a whirring type noise and sometime a bit like a piece of cardboard in the spokes of a pushbike wheel. Seems it was the little motor that changes the direction of the airflow for the aircon etc. To test if it is this just sit with the engine idling and change the airflow direction....and listen!

Latest posts

Back