4wd indicator light flashing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan_blue

Reaction score
hey all after about half hour in 4wd hi today down the beach i wanted to get back into 2wd. I changed the switch when i was stopped and the front two wheels and the bit in the middle flashed and continued to flash.

This was the first time it had done it and is it normal? I switched car off and on and was still there. I had to go into reverse and then into drive again to get just the 2 rear wheels indicated.

Has anyone had this, is it normal and what does it mean????

Many thanks
al

Mine flashes for a while after returning to 2WD mode, sometimes it disengages quickly and other times it seems to take a little longer. It has always stopped flashing, I think the most I've travelled with it flashing is about 200m tops.

Reversing it like you did is the fast way to do it. I think sometimes it just takes its time for the actuators to sense that the correct conditions are met for it to change the transfer case.

Yeah, It can be slow to get out of 4Lo, or into it sometimes. But it always gets there in the end and sometimes reversing a bit can speed up the process. Like Old Tony said sometimes it will be quick, sometimes slow.

Basically you need to get the torque loading out of the system. For example, when switching from 4 high to 2wd, it can seem to take a long time to switch back unless you unload the system. I have found that the simplest method is to decelerate. Sounds too easy, but unloading the system in that method works for me.

From 4 low to high range, don't worry about waiting for it to stop flashing because as long as it drops out of low range, you can get it out of 4wd (high) on the move by accelerating and then decelerating to unload the system.

You get lots of torque loadings in the system when you are 4wding - all basically loading up the transfer case because the transfer case it not a differential - you need to "reverse" that torque loading on the transfer case in order to allow the internals to work their magic properly.

While it is perfectly satisfactory to stop, engage reverse and drive a short distance backwards (as suggested above), in a system that is functioning properly there should be no NEED to do so.

Hope that makes sense.

Same problem here, I've only had mine since Feb this year and only done 1 beach trip to date, getting it into 4wd is much easier than getting it out, tried the decelaration method many times but to no avail, had to come to a stop and engage reverse for it to go back into 2wd.
Can be a little bit difficult when coming off the beach with the the bitumen approaching and there are many cars behind you with not much room to pull over and play with the transmission.
Will have a bit more of a play around with it next time I'm on the beach coz there's gotta be a simple solution rather than coming to a stop and engaging reverse every bloody time.

Don't be scared of being on the bitumen with the 4wd light flashing at you - nothing will blow up if you have to drive a few hundred metres while the system unwinds itself and gets itself out of high range.

Don't be scared of being on the bitumen with the 4wd light flashing at you - nothing will blow up if you have to drive a few hundred metres while the system unwinds itself and gets itself out of high range.

It's all well and good when the bitumen is straight though.
Where I was it had a sharp turn to the left and then straightened out which I can't imagine is any good for the transfer case.

In my old school Pajero with auto hubs the manual specified to disengage 4x4 with the lever and then reverse 3 to 5 metres to disengage 4x4 completely. Could be the same deal.

Latest posts

Back