misfire and lack of power

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeM

Reaction score
Hi. Ny diesel D22 (1999) with 125000 miles on it developed a misfire rapidly leading to total lack of power. It starts, ticks over gives out alot of smoke, like undurnt fuel. I have changed the fuel filter, was some crap in old one, not alot, drained fuel and put new in. Blown out lines to injectors. Cracked each injector whilst running and each time engine lost revs. After blowing out and new filter engine ran ok for a short while. Seems worse going uphill and finally stops due to lack of power. Any ideas please

Welcome to the forum, Mike!

How' s the air cleaner and the air passageways? I was talking with Mark (service manager at my dealer) who'd described a similar situation and it turned out to be an owl that had flown smack into the snorkel intake and had been sucked down to the bend where it stuck itself nearly blocking the intake completely. You could start the car (because enough air got past) but it had no power to get the vehicle moving. Remove bird, change air filter = problem solved.

Is your fuel pump delivering enough fuel? There are two possible issues here, one's cheaper than the other. The expensive one: the fuel pump could be worn, damaged or gunked up (can happen if you've used biodiesel - you should probably just buy fuel from Shell, BP or Caltex). It could also just be the fuel tank's breather hose - might be a spider living in the end of it and she's made a nest that's stopped the thing from breathing. Take off the fuel cap and try driving it, how's it perform?

Hope there's some help in that for you.

Thanks old Tony. I tried it with the air filter dis-connected, still the same problem. Will try it with fuel cap off, I had not thought of that and it does seem to be a fuel or air related problem. I have never used biodiesel , the problem appeared quite suddenly, so i think it doubtful to be the fuel pump, hope not anyway.

Some service stations don't announce that they're selling you 20% biodiesel. Caltex say they are using "up to 5%" which shouldn't hurt, but Farmers Fuel and others like Metro, Liberty, United and many of the "Mobil Products" not Mobil, but Mobil-supplied) can have up to 20% biodiesel and worse, sometimes it's the truck driver that mixes it pre-delivery.

Did you notice any slimy deposits in the fuel filter?

Check the tiny gauze filter just below where the injector pump fuel supply line enters the pump.

- Clean the area thoroughly
- Remove intake line
- Use bent piece of wire to try and hook the filter and draw it out of the pump
- If you really, really, really can't find anything to hook, it may not be fitted. They're hard to see so you have to feel around.
- Clean all components thoroughly and reassemble with correct torque.

Latest posts

Back