diff question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ned

Reaction score
I found a set of front and rear diffs for sale and he claims one is an LSD. How can you tell from looking at it as they are out of the ute.

The rear will be the LSD if either is. Option one is to look for an orange tag on the inspection plate, which instructs mechanics to fill with LSD diff oil rather than pegleg diff oil, and option B is to physically try and turn one wheel, if the tailshaft flange turns without the opposite wheel turning also, it's a pegleg diff.

thanks for that. What about ratios? Ihave an 87 with a z24. The seller claims that it has 4.625 ratio. Do I have to be careful or are they all the same?

Won't be a massive problem if you're buying in pairs.

Check on your compliance plate, if your axle code is CA46 then you'll be sweet, anything else and you need to look at finding a different worm and gear to correct your speedo.

If your code is HG##, then I'd check the diffs being sold and if the rear is a C200 (salisbury type diff, ten bolt inspection plate), then stuff that, stick with what you've got, and fit a second hand airlocker out of a Patrol.

I spoke to seller today and bought the diffs. He's not sure if the rear is LSD but said when he turns one side the other turns the same way so I'll see when I get there. I don't really need an LSD, I need a new front as I blew mine up at Landcruiser park over the weeekend, it would be a bonus if it was LSD. I got both for cheaper than one front one from all the wreakers I tried. Just have to convince my wife that fitting a front lokka at the same time is a good option.

Tell her putting a lokka in it will reduce the chance of doing it again. Less wheel spin.

Dave.

Yeah I think so. I have been able to drive it pretty hard until now with no problem. But now I have 32's on it that's changed the story.

If you are getting the locker professionally fitted, taking it to the workshop before you put it in the car will save a fair bit of dosh, try convincing her with that line?

Even if you're doing it DIY, it still saves you installing the diff twice.

Back