4WD Light on dash

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equipt

Reaction score
Hey guys, I went out for a bit of a drive on the weekend, did a little bit of low range and a few kms of high range stuff, probably only 20kms all up and all was on dirt tracka nd a bit of mud and rocks, since then I have noticed when driving at night that the 4WD light under the fule guage is very very dimly lit, if I stop and put it into 4H, it comes on as normal, or if I put the 4wd gear stick into N then it go's out as normal, but when in normal 2H the light is very dim, but it is definatly on. This has only started since Monday, and it has to be dark to be able to noticce it at all.

Any ideas if I have broken something, or is the a problem at all ??????????

I'd guess that somewhere in the system, and probably in the transfer case sensor assembly, there's a minor conductance across the sensor for 4WD.

I was thinking that it was just a fault with the switch, is this something that I should get fixed ASAP, or as long as I make sure I am not actualy in 4WD will it be ok for a bit?

If it's just a faulty switch you could be passing power through the system in a bad way, which may raise other faults in the ECU. Personally I wouldn't leave it too long before getting it fixed and definitely wouldn't go on a trip with it like that, but I wouldn't race down to Nissan and pay ten squillion to get it fixed either.

First thing I'd do is get under the car and pull the electrical connectors off the gearbox one by one and clean the contacts. That might be all it needs.

Being a D22 Id be checking the harnesses on the side of the transfer.

They a pretty basic set up on the D22 but the D40's system would be a nightmare to figure out a issue.

Dave.

Cool, I spoke to the mate I went out with on the weekend who is a mechanic, and he said it sounds like there may be a mit of water in the switch or something, and he is going to take a look at it for me on Saturday on a hoist at his work, allot easier than crawling under there myself.

Well the light has gone away now, I think it was just a bit of water in the switch or something and becaues it has been so cold it has not evaporated, but i did a few kms arround town today and the temp guage actualy made it off the bottom, and I think this may have helped, I will still get a mate to check it out tomorrow, but all looks good now.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back