Boost reading

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STR MUD PIG

Reaction score
G'day guys just wondering were abouts on the inlet manifold would i get a boost vacuum reading for the boost gauge.i have tryed a few diffrent vacuum spots but not getting the write reading.and also what boost should i be reading d4 2007 str cheers

Are you sure the gauge you have got is not just reading atmosphere Martin.

I plugged a obd reader into mine a while ago and it looked like it had a small amount of boost at idle but it was just how it was set up to read I think.

My boost gauge does not read anything at idle.

As far as a boost pick up goes just tee into the boost sensor on the drivers side intercooler tank. Or you could drill and tap a fitting into the charge pipe coming off the turbo before the intercooler.

A little off topic but do you think its possible to get more boost at idle by tricking the ECU to read higher revs at idle?

Does that make sense to you guys?

Are you sure the gauge you have got is not just reading atmosphere Martin.

I plugged a obd reader into mine a while ago and it looked like it had a small amount of boost at idle but it was just how it was set up to read I think.

My boost gauge does not read anything at idle.

As far as a boost pick up goes just tee into the boost sensor on the drivers side intercooler tank. Or you could drill and tap a fitting into the charge pipe coming off the turbo before the intercooler.

G'DAY MARTIN thanks for that i might have two try those spots for some better readings, i was hoping for a vacuum hose some were of the inlet manifold, cheers bud.

G'day that sounds like it might work but how would you trick the ecu to get some more boost,but what i did notice was boost coming in quiucker and spooling up a little more after taping into the vacuum hose that gose to the control unit from the turbo .

Hi, My 2010 ST used to read MAX 19psi boost when i first put on a boost gauge. I have noticed in the last few weeks that I can only get MAX 12psi.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Cheers

Hi, My 2010 ST used to read MAX 19psi boost when i first put on a boost gauge. I have noticed in the last few weeks that I can only get MAX 12psi.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Cheers

I would check for air leaks as a starting point.

from what i have been told turbo diesels dont run in vacuum which is why you wont get a vacuum reading on your boost gauge, most people have gauges that only show positive boost not vacuum.

Anthony

from what i have been told turbo diesels dont run in vacuum which is why you wont get a vacuum reading on your boost gauge, most people have gauges that only show positive boost not vacuum.

Anthony

will a vacuum boost gauge give an accurate reading on a diesel turbo?

I think probably not, but I'm no expert.

The reason is the configuration of the wastegate/BoV and bypass would mean that measuring vacuum in the manifold will only tell you the manifold pressure, not the pressue at the impellar, which is what you really need to know.

It's notionally just a manometer piped between atmospheric and manifold pressure, so it will still read accurately on a vehicle with no throttle.

The reason is the configuration of the wastegate/BoV and bypass would mean that measuring vacuum in the manifold will only tell you the manifold pressure, not the pressue at the impellar, which is what you really need to know.

No BoV on a diesel. Whatever you measure in the manifold is the effect your turbocharger is having on intake charge pressure, which is what you want to know.

it will read fine. just harder to read the gauge as the numbers are closer on the dail. a boost only will read boost just the same as a vac/boost.

if your fitting a BOV you need to use system vacuum and trigger it electrically.

Back