Dutiable Value?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddogrc

Reaction score
hey all,

well the navara d22 4x2 i've had for sale for a while now has finally been taken up and the sale is going through.

i've gotten all the paper work sorted apart from one thing...the dutiable value.

on the paper it says:

Used Vehicle:
In relation to used vehicles - the amount for which the vehicle might reasonably be sold, free of encumbrance, in the open market. Where the dutiable value or purchase price of a vehicle has been incorrectly stated the matter will be referred to the Office of State Revenue for investigation and possible prosecution.

and it says nothing else about how to work out this value or where to obtain this value from.

anyone have any idea? also whilst googling i found this:

Commonly, the dutiable value of your new vehicle is the list price including options, GST and luxury car tax (LCT) if applicable. The dutiable value of a used vehicle is the greater of the purchase price or market value.

"is the greater of the purchase price or market value"...?

i dont know if its just me having a blonde moment, but i just cant work out it out.

cheers,
george

That's in case you're selling it to ya mum. If it's a private sale to a third party, you can assume it's at close to market value, so sale value = dutiable value.

yeh mate, it is a bit strange but what they are trying to do is bring out the honesty in everyone to make sure if you bought a cheap car that's say $15000 cheaper than the normal 'current" price than you pay stamp duty on its market value, being $15k more!
Only guessing here but it might be more relevant for importers ?

My understanding is that it's to stop people trading cars at well below cost price to avoid stamp duty. It comes into it when the car is given as a gift or something similar.

I had the same problem when I gave one of my cars away to a family member a few years back, the value has to be listed so that the new owner pays a stamp duty on the street value of the car not the possible change over price.

Just make both prices fairly close to each other based on something like a price off carsales for a similar car, or even redbook.

i just put $16,000 for both.

i seen dealers selling the same model with 30,000km for $18,900 and i see non-dealer sellers selling the same model with 30,000km for $14,000.

the car only has 18,000km, so $16,000 seems fair.

Last edited:
i just put $16,000 for both.

i seen dealers selling the same model with 30,000km for $18,900 and i see non-dealer sellers selling the same model with 30,000km for $14,000.

the car only has 18,000km, so $16,000 seems fair.

I'd suggest it's fairly reasonable, when I got rid of mine I listed about $3.5K below redbook as the sale price on a $23K car and it was never questioned and the duty was worked out on the $19.5K listed as the sales price rather than the $23K I listed as dutiable.

Latest posts

Back