engine oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nissan specify a low-ash - JASO DH-1 in fact - oil, 5W30 recommended for cooler climate. You'll only need 7.1 litres if you're not changing the filter, 7.6 litres if you are. Some have used fully synthetic with good results.

Nissan specify a low-ash - JASO DH-1 in fact - oil, 5W30 recommended for cooler climate. You'll only need 7.1 litres if you're not changing the filter, 7.6 litres if you are. Some have used fully synthetic with good results.

Thanks for that Tony im going to go and get it tomorow and also do the fillter as well.Would you no how offten you have to do the petrol fillter.cheers Tony Alex.:cheers!:

Is it a manual or auto ? They both require different oil. In my Manual D40 turbo diesel I used Caltex Delo 400 15W-40 and its relatively inexpensive @ $90 for 20L

Helo steve mine is manual you thanks for that.

Well if you have a late modle D40 auto with DPF by the book you can only run 5W-30. if anyone knows different can they let me know too because $120 for 10l is killing me.

Well if you have a late modle D40 auto with DPF by the book you can only run 5W-30. if anyone knows different can they let me know too because $120 for 10l is killing me.

The chart in the manual for the D40 Diesel is below:
attachment.php

Basically you can use whatever grade oil you require for the temperature range your vehicle will be subjected to.

The most important part is the JASO rating. Our engine oil (and particularly those of us with DPFs) must be JASO-FD which is ultra low ash.

Attachments

• Oil Viscosity Chart For Diesels.JPG
    Oil Viscosity Chart For Diesels.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 5,835
The chart in the manual for the D40 Diesel is below:
attachment.php

Basically you can use whatever grade oil you require for the temperature range your vehicle will be subjected to.

The most important part is the JASO rating. Our engine oil (and particularly those of us with DPFs) must be JASO-FD which is ultra low ash.

Thanks Old.Tony, i had plenty of oils at work but the book and people tell me that with DPF you must run 5W-30 but as long as its low ash i'm fine?

the book and people tell me that with DPF you must run 5W-30

If you have a DPF and warranty.... the above grade or lower is the only grade oil you can use.
For example in the shell range...Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 is the only oil suitable for use in a 2.5 CRTD with DPF's,
or,
if you have a heavy duty diesel engine (ie: prime mover)with a DPF use Shell Rimula R6 LM.

http://www-static.shell.com/static/aus/downloads/product_data_guide/product_data_guide_complete.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont no how many kms you have on it but apparently you cant use full synthetic untill you have about 20000 kms as it dosnt let your engine run in propelly .Thats what my mechanic told me on saturday when i wanted to run full syn at 10000 kms.

I'm sure there has been a number of threads lately which suggest fully synthetic is the oil of choice and I can't see Nissan recommending one and using another from the factory. Mind you for all the consumer knows they could be putting cooking oil in it at the factory.

Oil

I have beenusing the following:
Penrite 15W-50 APICI-4/SL, ACEA A3/B4,DLD-1/DLD-3

It is Semi Synthetic. I am not sure whether this is ok. Wot u think?

http://www.navara.asia/d40-general-chat/7469-d40-oil.html

That's the most recent discussion, there is also threads in both the D40 and the D22 section where people talk about what oils they are using. At the end of the day brand and flavour is more of a preference than anything else, the book will tell you what specs your oil needs to be and if you follow those specs you are doing what Nissan suggest.

Where does nissan say you should use full sythetic and is it from new or at specific kms . I ask this because when i rang nissan on monday after my service to question this they told me the same that i shouldnt use full syn oil until about 20000 kms.

Nissan say that the recommended oil is 5W30 and I don't think that's available in a mineral - it's fully synthetic (as far as I am aware, anyway).

Where do they recommend it? In their own service manual. If they want to argue, get 'em to look up their own book.

Back