EGT settings

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance S

Reaction score
G'day guys,

I have just finished putting in the digital EGT gauge from auber instruments and was wondering what you guys set your maximum setting for ie: 650, 700 before she gets too hot

cheers,

Lance

of the top of my head i think around 800 pre turbo. after turbo can be 700-600 or less depending on temp drop across the turbo.

the problem with that is you can be 100 degree difference due to the turbo. every motor is a little bit different. variable are the worse for it, they can be 200+ in difference.

What problem? You just told him higher temps than I did for after the turbo, when I say 550 degrees C this is allowing for excess heat at the turbo, any more than 750 degrees C at the turbine can melt the blades, allowing 200 degrees drop across the turbo is 550 degrees. A by product of this is it's almost impossible to melt a piston keeping the exhaust temp at 550 after the turbo.

he may feak when he keeps hitting 600 even tho that may be completly normal for that motor.

Talking to a few other guys with nav's around oz , they have there egt's set at 650, so i have set a warning light at 600 and buzzer at 650. I took it up to the hills at Lyndhurst and the heighest i got was around 350, tipping the 2.75" exhaust makes a hell of a difference, hate to think how hot it was getting with the pissy 2" exhaust.

When you fitted the probe, did you cut and join the thermocouple wire? Only reason I ask is 350 seems a bit low giving it a boot in the hills, mine does anywhere between 320-400 degrees just cruising on 100ks on level terrain, if I get up it going up a hill it will do 500-600 easy.

When you fitted the probe, did you cut and join the thermocouple wire? Only reason I ask is 350 seems a bit low giving it a boot in the hills, mine does anywhere between 320-400 degrees just cruising on 100ks on level terrain, if I get up it going up a hill it will do 500-600 easy.

No mate, fitted in the dump pipe and straight to the gauge, no cutting.

Oh well, guess you can only go by what it says, if what your gauge is telling you is correct the 2.5 runs a lot cooler than the 3.0, hopefully someone else will stick an EGT gauge on another 2.5 sooner or later and you'll have something to compare yours too.

Oh well, guess you can only go by what it says, if what your gauge is telling you is correct the 2.5 runs a lot cooler than the 3.0, hopefully someone else will stick an EGT gauge on another 2.5 sooner or later and you'll have something to compare yours too.

Mine is a 3.0lt turbo diesel, d22, 2004 model STR dual cab, not a 2.5, i am going away this weekend and will have more of an idea of different temps, as in highway temps and steep hill temps and 4wd temps.

Ahh ok, got your car mixed up with someone else's. Well then it seems a bit cold to me but my probe is into the exhaust manifold, quickest way to make mega heat I've found is 4th gear, 3000-4000 rpm when overtaking some typically makes temps sky rocket.

just to bump an old thread up.

finally got EGT gauge up and running.
getting around 400 max (probe is after turbo).
what i find interesting is the temps are very low at low rpm's. obviously its very under fueled at low rpm's which also explains the lack of boost at low revs.

Where's the best place to pick up one of these EGT guages?

I don't have one but feel like I should after reading some of these threads.

not sure where you get them over there. any places that sells auto guages should have them. diesel ones are generlly have lower temps on the guage
i;ve only got a cheapy so i hope its reading roughly right.

just make sure you get the narrow probe one (3mm??) bigger ones read to slow.

Latest posts

Back