looking at getting a 2010 stx manual

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmy_larco

Reaction score
Looking at getting a 2010 stx deisel manual. Just wanting to know if they have overcome tbe problem of low revs in first, therefore burning clutch really fast. Has anyone here got one yet. What is the fuel economy really like?

Clutches were a problem early on in the life of D40's.

Later models don't seem to suffer the same problem however (anecdotally). But like any vehicle....it depends how you drive it.

Speaking from my experiences - 2008 model with approaching 40K, not a clutch problem to be seen thus far, and I can't say I've experienced a problem with low-end response. And mine is quite heavily accessorised with a BIG load of gear....2500kg bare weight...

My truck has terrible off idle lag, On a steep hill I just give it a boot full and drop the clutch hard otherwise it stalls. The clutch has survived 42K's with no sign of slip, that includes a lot of offroad work too.

I would confidently say the clutch/flywheel issues have been addressed.

I will be towing a builders trailer so will this low idle lag affect me? Us yours the latest 2010 model. I was hoping it might be improved with the new more powerful engine. I have taken one for a druve but at the time was not aware of this problem so i didnt really notice anything. And i was not towing anything. The other car i was looking at was the triton, its cheap but im not a fan of the body shape.

Welcome to the forum.

While the Triton has more safety features than the Navara, it's generally not as powerful, which means it'll struggle more. And if it doesn't look good, it could grow on you or leave you with lasting regrets.

I will be towing a builders trailer so will this low idle lag affect me? Us yours the latest 2010 model. I was hoping it might be improved with the new more powerful engine. I have taken one for a druve but at the time was not aware of this problem so i didnt really notice anything. And i was not towing anything. The other car i was looking at was the triton, its cheap but im not a fan of the body shape.

The off idle torque doesn't seem to be consistent, some guys complain bitterly (me), others don't seem troubled by it. My truck is probably putting out more power with all the mods I've done, but this seems more an engine management setting rather than pure KW.

When you go for a test drive, try and find a steep hill to do a stand still take off from.

My truck has terrible off idle lag, On a steep hill I just give it a boot full and drop the clutch hard otherwise it stalls. The clutch has survived 42K's with no sign of slip, that includes a lot of offroad work too.

I would confidently say the clutch/flywheel issues have been addressed.

I wouldn't be too confident in saying that the clutch issues have been addressed, mine is an 08 and had no signs of clutch slip whatsoever untill about 55000kms and then it went, had it changed under warranty then abot 15000kms later the flywheel shat itself!
Yes I do carry abit of weight everyday and do a far bit of offroad and I prob was a little harsh on the clutch given it's lag on takeoff, but I defineatley won't be putting the Nissan dual mass flywheel back in when it goes again!

Hopefully they have addressed it in the new model, but I wouldn't be surprissed if they haven't, only way to find out is wait till it shits itself really!

It's left me with my own personal debate on wether I will get an auto or manual when I get get another one!

I was talking to a guy when i picked my ute up from being seviced last friday,he was picking up his RX kingcab that had just had the clutch replaced at 25000 ks.
He tows a builders trailer with his every week day.
If i was going to be doing any consistent towing i rekon i would go the auto,that is if the problem hasn't been fixed in the new model.

Oh this is not sounding too good. I will be towing the trailer everyday during the week and one some weekends.

Is there anyway to find out if this problem has been fixed, im sure if u asked someone at nissan they would tell u it had, even if it had not.

gday timmy, ive got an st diesel manual and this is what i tow each and every day, prob average about 2 tonne, and up to 3 tonne with my ride on. no probs with the lag or the clutch yet. ..having said that ive only just hit 5k on the clock!;

P1000108.jpg

When I spoke to the guys that sell the Travelhome (5th wheeler) they said that for any medium or heavier towing the auto is recommended (in any kind of tow vehicle). It seems to be a growing trend, because the caravan shop we bought our current caravan from gave us the same advice.

When we went to Toyota, they recommended the auto but said they couldn't sell a ute capable of pulling the Travelhome (3 tonne) and that I should consider the Colorado, Ranger or Navara.

Nissan told me I needed an auto for towing. I now drive an auto. I can't say it was a bad decision, especially in light of the cost of the clutch!

Is the auto a nice drive tony? I have never really driven an auto, always owned manuals. Im not keen on the 2500 extra for them either. Also saying that i would not be towing nearly as much weight as you are towing. My trailer would prob only weight 500kg. My current xr6T can tow it easily but it just gets a bit thirsty, it does not seem to struggle with it on at all. I would say my trailer will get heavier over time, but probably not over a tonne. Thanks

If you're in the Newcastle-ish area just let me know, I'll meet you somewhere you can take mine for a spin and see for yourself. If not, go back to the dealer and ask for a run in an auto, it's not a bad ride.

Smooth is the word. Very smooth.

Thanks heaps for the offer mate, but im in Brisbane. Yea i might have to go back to the dealer. I still dont understand how the clutchs are having such a sort life. My old man has a hilux 97 model i think, and he has 240 000 on the clock or more and still on the first clutch.

It doesn't happen with all of them, but the D40 is just a little notorious for it because the power really comes on quite abruptly as the rpm rises over 1800. Even in the auto, there's a noticeable lurching forwards from around 2,000rpm. D22s don't do it, they have a different turbocharger and different programming in the ECU.

Driven with that in mind, the manual shouldn't be a problem. Ease the clutch out without tramping it and then give it the foot and there's no drama.

Some people prefer the manual for off-road work too. I know the auto has worked well for me off-road, but I'm a very light off-roader, I've only had the centres of the wheels underwater 4 times and I've only done a handful of fairly easy tracks, only once trying to follow some chook chasers up a mountain trail.

Thanks Tony for your help mate. Yesterday I put a new Nissan Navara STX 2010 on order. I have not chosen a colour yet. Not to sure which colours are actually available, There does not seem to be Storm grey or Slate grey on there site anymore. But the dealer thought there was Slate grey still available. So not sure what is going on there.

Hey Tim,

I'm waiting for my local Nissan dealer to register their new D40 6 speed STX 140 kw diesel so I can test drive it myself. Did you end up ordering the manual or the automatic?

I spoke to the salesman about the clutch issues and he explained it was to do with the driver. The NAV has a dual plate clutch system and if people tend to ride the clutch even a small amount, given the weight of the truck and the power of the turbo when it cuts in, it will damage the clutch plates.

I'm also going to be looking at towing everyday around about the 500 kg mark, maybe a tad more.

How did the new 140 kw motor drive in both the auto and the manual?

Haf.

Thanks Jayk,
Very nice setup looks mad. How is your fuel when your towing that?

no probs! economy is between 14 & 15 l/100. all inner city (inner city adelaide, not melb or sydney!) and start and stop. at least twice as good as my xg falcon ... half a car payment per week!

Back