Power Steering Pump blowing off

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decky

Reaction score
Hi,

just interested to see if anyone else had had this problem,

recently the power steering pump lid kept blowing off and as a result i ended up losing it.

it was happening because where the pipes that run from the power steering pump into the steering rack had come loose due to the vibration of the engine causing air to get into the lines.

after taking it back to Nissan i was told the problem could not be fixed under manufacturers waranty as it wasnt considered a manufactuing fault and was charged $150 for doing up the pipes and $60 for a new cap.

***Mental note***
Check that all power steering hoses are tight when I do my 40,000km service soon....

Haven't heard of that one before.

That's a new one. I'm not very rough with mine, so far haven't broken 160km/h along the CSR, but who knows what'll happen tomorrow. I'll check mine out, thanks for letting us know!

I wonder if you could argue about it with the service guys, that they should have checked it over? Just a thought!

We had one in at work a while ago that had a power steer leak and tracked it down to compression fittings going into box. I was not informed if they had been loosing the cap though.

It was obvious that they had simply "rattled" loose.

sorry to drag up an old thread... I did use the search! :)

I have noticed on my 07 d40 that on the driver side, inside the wheel arch on the chassie there is some oil leaking slowley! is this coming from the power steering pump as well? Only noticed it when I noticed a couple of drops on the driveway.

cheers

Is the leak coming from a split in a rubber boot on the steering arm?
I have had a similar problem. Ends up that I punctured the boot in a mud
Hole and got some nice mud inside. This has worn out the seal in the steering
rack and I am leaking a reasonable amount of fluid til I get it repaired ( waiting
on parts ).

Check all of your boots ( steering and CV boots ) for any splits, nicks or tears.
Repair them quickly if you do find something as it will cause further problems if
not sorted.

Forgot to ask if you have checked all your fluid levels to see which one is dropping?
That will tell you what is leaking out. If none it may be a CV boot split.

Murph

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back