ZD30 will not start

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This is a great Forum.
I'm a new member and hope you may be able to help me out.

I have a D22 ZD30, build date 11/2001, approx 200,000Ks. I have had this vehicle for approx 60,000 kms with no problems and it has been regularly serviced.
Yesterday it started and drove fine, I travelled about 3 kms to shops parked and when I returned it would not start. The glow plug light turns off and the battery cranks the engine ok, but it does not start.
I have had it towed to a local mechanic where my son works and they are having a look, but I would really appreciate if any of you guys had some ideas on what i t may be.

If there's still fuel getting into the chamber (1) then it should just run as long as there's enough air for combustion to take place (2).

(1) Remove power from the glo plugs, crank the engine over. Stop, remove the glow plug - is it wet? If so, fuel's getting in, go to 2. If not, check fuel pump, fuel filter. If these are ok, maybe the tank breather is blocked - test it by simply opening the fuel tank and trying to start the vehicle. There's a water trap at the bottom of the filter, maybe it's full and needs emptying. Can you hear the injectors going? They're a loud clak-clak sound. If the injectors aren't firing, it could be a wiring harness or the ECU.

(2) Is there a blockage in the air intake? My service manager was recalling one vehicle that suffered the same symptoms as yours, and the cause was an owl that had flown into the snorkel and had been sucked down into the guard where it lodged itself in the bend, sealing the air intake. try cranking it over with the air filter box open (but the filter held against the intake). While you're looking at it, look at the filter.

Greater experience than mine will be along shortly to provide more insights!

My only suggestion is did you recently fill up with fuel and got a load of water. That could prove expensive unless you kept your fuel receipt. I think it would be hard to know more than OLD TONY`S suggestions unless looking at it.
Steve.

Thanks for the advice. old Tony. There are no owls or other blockages in the intake !
There was also no water in the filter. We will try all the other suggestions as you mentioned in (1) today.
Thanks again.

mechanic will go through the basics. ie low voltage, fuel, air. one odd thing is to check all the fuses. theres a few sensors that if the fuse goes the motor won't start but the ecu doesn't flag an error. simplest thing is to make sure all fuses are not blown.

Check the primer.

Check the crank angle sensor aswell.

A mate of mine had a 2001 GU which wouldn't start I think it was a relay. However after being screwed over by a dealer for a new motor which it didn't need we never were told the exact cause.

Dave.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
It has been at the Diesel mechanics for the last few days. Apparently it is getting fuel to the injector pump but not out of it to the injectors. All the fuses and crank sensor etc have been checked and are ok. The mechanic has indicated that the injector pump is now the most likely culprit ..............

No good mate, not gonna be cheap.

Early ZD30's had issue's with the injector pump's. The later one's injector pump issues are no where near as common.

Dave.

hopefully he will check that the pump solenoid is getting the pulses from the ecu. that should tell him if its pump not firing or ecu not telling the pump to fire.
if theres no signal at the solenoid then it could be pump ecu or main ecu.

zd30 injector pump

Hi people with zd30 motor,
recently i found this motor does have issue with everything, we all know the motor use to shit it self before its time and same story goes with the injector pump.

I had patrol which the motor was changed just after it went out of warranty and was replaced with a second hand motor with only 5000km on it.after doing 100k on the same motor the injector pump died.

Checked everything glowplugs, fuel filter,battery.fuse,ecu and etc wasnt able to start. So i started striping, pulled injector nozzles from head fitted outside pump and found diesel was coming at the back of the pump but was on able to crack injector as very low pressure after the pump, I checked everything as i said before but no code was coming up, so i called injector pump people and explained everything i did and only thing i cant test is the pump because it got massive wiring at the back of the pump.they told me thats problem with this pump and its call brain of the pump.

So i bought new pump and replaced and checked before puting injectors, all injectors were firing. Fitted everything back what a shit job men, timing chain was bit pain. Now starts, these pump are not cheap i paid $2800 exchange but im worryed of maybe motor is again on its way. Is there any timing marks on the pump i had to align with because i marked everything on the old pump and its gone so i used spill timing and sounds its ok. Still bit confused, as its doing late start but idles ok

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi people with zd30 motor,
recently i found this motor does have issue with everything, we all know the motor use to shit it self before its time and same story goes with the injector pump.

I had patrol which the motor was changed just after it went out of warranty and was replaced with a second hand motor with only 5000km on it.after doing 100k on the same motor the injector pump died.

Checked everything glowplugs, fuel filter,battery.fuse,ecu and etc wasnt able to start. So i started striping, pulled injector nozzles from head fitted outside pump and found diesel was coming at the back of the pump but was on able to crack injector as very low pressure after the pump, I checked everything as i said before but no code was coming up, so i called injector pump people and explained everything i did and only thing i cant test is the pump because it got massive wiring at the back of the pump.they told me thats problem with this pump and its call brain of the pump.

So i bought new pump and replaced and checked before puting injectors, all injectors were firing. Fitted everything back what a shit job men, timing chain was bit pain. Now starts, these pump are not cheap i paid $2800 exchange but im worryed of maybe motor is again on its way. Is there any timing marks on the pump i had to align with because i marked everything on the old pump and its gone so i used spill timing and sounds its ok. Still bit confused, as its doing late start but idles ok

Download the service manual in the D22 section.

Dave.

Back