New D40. Now what colour?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmy_larco

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls. I just ordered my new D40 STX dual cab.
Im not to sure on what colour to get, it has come down to the new altitude blue or midnight black. Has anyone got either of these colours and could show me a picture of what they look like. Its a bit hard to see what they will look like from the little colour charts they have in the internet, as they are not pictures of real cars.

What colours would you recommend? Some people say dont get black cause it gets so hot and its so hard to clean. But it does look the best, when clean? Blue still will not be the easiest to clean, but will look cleaner.

Cheers

Black really, really shows scratches. And mud. And dirt, insects, slow pedestrians and lipstick when you smack the policeman's face into the bonnet while explaining that you don't drink and are completely reasonable about it.

We chose white, because it's a non-metallic colour, easier to match (supposedly), cooler and hides scratches better. It also is more visible and matched our caravan (I wasn't going to paint the van!).

I really think it's a personal thing and you should go with what you're hankerin' for. Sure, hear what others say about the colours, but if you want baby pink with lime green dots then go for it - you're the one that has to live with it, and drive it.

Yea i know, white is the easiest to keep clean, and it always looks clean. I just dont seem to like the white in the navara. I have had other white cars before. Its just kinda hard to choose a colour when i dont really know what they look like.

black is fine if your not gonna go offroad... things get scratched when you hit the tracks. I personally would never buy a 4wd in black.

wow really, i have been told my wait will be 4-6 weeks. Does not really bother me cause when i sell my current car the dealer is giving me one of theres to use until they get mine in. So the longer they take the more k's there demo will have.

DO NOT GET BLACK

I love it when its clean for about 10 mins then it shows up everything, not just the dirt that shits me, but the scratches are unbelivable, mine has sratches from off roading full length of the car, and prob wont buff out.

I'd go silver if you can white looks good but a little to commercial for me, my last ute was silver and was awesome at hiding dirt, before that had a white xr6 and it didn't seem to hide as much as silver!

Food for tought, just dont get black!!!!!

Cheers ash,

Yea i have a blue xr6t now, and it is pretty good at hiding the dirt. Seems to always look clean.

Yep, black is an absolute bastard to keep clean. But the funny thing is even during the really hot summer we just had in Brisbane, I actually thought the temp inside was no worse than my dark green Commodore.

Having owned the black D22 for 6 months now, I definatley would have gone for a different colour.

Dont buy black...
I had a black SSV that got swapped for my now new white D22, yes they look damn good in black but they are a bitch to keep clean and also to look after the paint!
last summer had heaps of dust (from neighbouring building site) all over the car and didnt have time to wash it, so just ran the hose over to get rid of the dust.. it was a bloody hot day and the car was sitting in the sun for ages... the next day i sough heaps of these dry water marks from the water that had been 'baked' into my paintwork..
Everytime i would wash it after you could still see the marks..
happy with the white purchase now...

Black looks great... for the first 2 months. I now have the mandatory pinstripes & carpark dings. But hey it's a 4b and gets used as one!
Also has some bad dust/water marks on the bonnet from a nullabor trip, it was the morning frost wetting the dust then dribbling/blowing up & bakeing on b4 midday. Not sure if this would happen on any colour though.
If i ever get a new 4b again it'll be silver, not too commercial but good for scratches etc. Good luck with the choice

Atleast black matches the colour the front rims will be after a week of driving with all the brake dust people were complaining about a few months ago.

Here's a tip I've found from traveling on dirt and country roads for most of my driving, no colour hides dirt, and no colour hides water marks left behind by dirty water, or road water. Chamois fixes water marks if your prepared to put in the time just like polishing would but who wants to wash and polish their car every week.

There was some scientific study a few years ago that claimed red cars get more bird shit than other cars but there is scientific proof to just about everything pointless these days so who knows how true that is. Either way colour is purely a personal preference and since all colours will get dirty and will show the dirt (especially to the owner who see every little scratch and mark) picking one colour over another for any reason of cleanliness is not really valid as far as I am concerned.

Oh yeah and there was also a study a few months back stating black cars have more accidents than any other colour. Again studies like that don't mean much to me because I drove a black car for 5 years and the only mark that was on it when I sold it was from a beer bottle some wanker in Perth threw at me 6 months before I sold it.

So there I think we've solved your dilemma, What colour should you go for? The colour you like best!

I've had 4wds in dark blue, silver/black two tone, and now black. I agree with Krafty, a good chamois after washing, and they all came up well. but some of you have got me thinking of silver for next time...

I went to the dealer to get white but the Slate Grey one was available and was the cheapest if I wanted white I'd have to wait a few months so Slate Grey become the new favourite colour. It doesn't show the scratches too much does attract bird poo and dirt like nobody's business, but the Nav doesn't get dirty it gains character....

Yea thanks guys. I thought black might be a bit of a problem keeping clean. But i wish i had a photo of the blue to see what it really looks like. Yea slate grey abd storm grey are no longer a colour. Only silver.

Isn't the non metallic blue the same dark blue they have used for years. There might be a slight tone change but then two cars of the same colour are never really the same anyway.

The Blue velvet is a bit darker than the Blue Opal which I think it's replacing but the other blue looks pretty much the same as it used to

Each to their own. I agree with the comments about black and the scratches, however I had a black D22 for 4 years and 150,000Kms (plenty of offroad) ... and now I have a black D40 ... and I would choose black again.

When the car is polished and clean I think you'll attract more buyers later on down the track. Look at a polished white 2006 D22 and a polished black 2006 D22 and my personal opinion I know which I think 'looks' better to a potential buyer (not withstanding mechanical condition, accessories etc).

Anyway ... if you like black go with it ... I'm just providing a view that's not against black just in case deep down inside you really want one and looking for just the slightest push in that direction :)

I owned a black car years ago and swore I'd never buy another one due to the 'keeping it clean problem'. Then recently I bought a black road bike and another black car, I bought them at different times, but the price was so good I thought I could put up with black again. WRONG, DO NOT GET BLACK, you will spend hours cleaning and polishing the truck to a certain standard and be happy. You will probably go for a short drive down the road to enjoy this temporary state of cleanliness, only to arrive home where you will be presented with a fine film of dust all over it. The slightest cloud of dirt or dust will ruin hours of cleaning and don't start me on scratches. Yes they look awesome clean, but eventually you will loose the enthusiasm to keep banging your head against a brick wall by cleaning it. This is just my opinion of course, a brighter colour will hide the dust, dirt, marks and scratches so much better and lessen your hours with the sponge, polish and with the sh*ts. I will never buy another black vehicle again, especially when investing a substantial sum for a brand new one. Good luck with your purchase and enjoy..:wash_truck:

Latest posts

Back