engine ratty nice

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdyam

Reaction score
Hey guys im a new member and woukd like to borrow some of your grey matter.
I own an 08 d22 2.5cr when cold starting it makes this ratty ticking noise which goes away when idle levels out. Whilist driving when enigne is under any sort load its got a smilar noise which speeds up and slows with enigne revs. When ive got the camper trailer hooked up and the engine is under heavy load the noise turns to a knock rather then ratty ticking.

Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.
Ben

mate sounds like a normal diesel engine to me.... they are noisy motors the 2.5..

when cold starting it makes this ratty ticking noise which goes away when idle levels out.

Valvetrains are usually noisy when the engine first starts. A) they won't have much oil on them as it will have drained into the sump whilst sitting and B) they're cold so they're out of spec till they warm up and expand.

Whilist driving when enigne is under any sort load its got a smilar noise which speeds up and slows with enigne revs.

This is the sound of your injectors. They are fine. It is a diesel specific noise.

When ive got the camper trailer hooked up and the engine is under heavy load the noise turns to a knock rather then ratty ticking.

Hard to tell without sitting in the passenger seat but I'd guess you're either hearing the injectors at full flow, or a labouring engine.

Nothing you have described is cause for any concern. Learn and understand these noises so you can detect changes in future which may indicate problems.

I have the same thing, thinking of taking out a newy for a run to see if this is normal.
Does yours blow any smoke? mine blows a light coloured smoke..

I have the same thing, thinking of taking out a newy for a run to see if this is normal.
Does yours blow any smoke? mine blows a light coloured smoke..

hey troy
mate mines only 2 weeks old and makes the same noise, its normal for a diesel, and yes it blows smoke too....

Welcome to the forum, Ben!

As for the noises, sounds like it's fairly normal. Under a load, mine doesn't "knock" like an impact with something, but I do get some quite strong induction noise. Do you have a snorkel?

Curious Matt, Caltex say they use up to 5% bio. I wonder if that has any additional/superior lubricating qualities over pure dinosaur?

yes it blows heaps of smoke but only under moderate to heavy engine load.

Hey guys im a new member and woukd like to borrow some of your grey matter.
I own an 08 d22 2.5cr when cold starting it makes this ratty ticking noise which goes away when idle levels out. Whilist driving when enigne is under any sort load its got a smilar noise which speeds up and slows with enigne revs. When ive got the camper trailer hooked up and the engine is under heavy load the noise turns to a knock rather then ratty ticking.

Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.
Ben

get on that 2 stroke oil in the diesel business my d40 sounds like a petrol engine these days :cheers!:

Thanks for the replys
I took it back to nissan where they told me the problem was the hose for "T" peice for the boost gauge had a hole in it so they disconnected it. Thats bullshit becasue nothing has changed. I since removed the air intake to the turbo and have found small amount of oil running in maybe a breather or something not sure. BUT also some really really fine alloy shavings or dust in the housing. Is all this normal or could this be a stuffed turbo causing my issues. I would like to know as it seems i have to do the thinking for Nissan to get anything done right.

More on the rattley d22

Thanks for the replys

I took it back to nissan where they told me the problem was the hose for "T" peice for the boost gauge had a hole in it so they disconnected it. Thats bullshit becasue nothing has changed. I since removed the air intake to the turbo and have found small amount of oil running in maybe a breather or something not sure. BUT also some really really fine alloy shavings or dust in the housing. Is all this normal or could this be a stuffed turbo causing my issues. I would like to know as it seems i have to do the thinking for Nissan to get anything done right.

Thanks again any help would be great
Ben

Hey mate,

Dont worry or feel a bit silly, I thought the same thing when I got my ZD30 DX. And my mate has a YD25 D22 and it rattles and blows a bit. So I think you will be right. You came to the right place anyway. The guys here know their stuff. :welcome:

Where are you finding the metal shavings? That doesn't sound right, ever.

Oil in the turbo intake - yeah mine has that as well, I'm not too concerned about it, I think it's part of the PCV system and when I get around to fitting a catch can that should all be gone.

If you've fitted a boost gauge and they've disconnected it, you can bet they're just finding "something else to blame". Maybe you could head down to a local 4WD club or something and have a listen to someone else's diesel to see if yours sounds vastly different.

The oil in the inlet can be remedied using a catch can. I am going to be fitting one on mine, because the way I look at it, it causes build up on the turbo and pipe work, possibly causing the turbo to work a bit harder, and also the oil ends up going through your motor making it less efficient. It might only seem like a minor issue, but to me no issue is a better thing.
Dont like the sound of metal filings though, could be from poor cleaning of parts on the essembly line, or you may have drama's. I'd suggest an oil and filter change, clean the area you found the metal, run for another couple of days and check that spot again for any new debris. If there is more take the thing back to Nissan and bash heads.
Good luck mate

Smoke problem fixed! I know diesels are a bit blowy but mine had a crazy amount coming out. Nissan put in a new fuel filter, some diesel treatment and re-calibrated the injectors. Is now good as new! (cost me $110)

Hi
I Have the same 2008 2.5 with 80,000klms, everyone was telling me it was normal diesel noise but it wasn't. I took it to nissan and the first noise was premature wear to the timing chain.
They replaced it and what a nightmare of a job (9 weeks to get it back) parts from Japan but it came back and that noise was gone and they done a brilliant job (thanks guys).
But i still had another noise as you explain at midway powering, it is back in there again with a new set of injectors as it was puffing smoke also and the noise still there. Now the motor is getting pulled out this week as it may have a cracked piston? which means maybe a new motor.
lucky it is still under warranty.

Hey mate.
Had one of these navara d22 2.5's as a work vehicle. real good vehicle. They are also commonly knowen for injectors shitting the bed . yes diesels are rattley a little but if its doing it noticibly on start up and under load. it could be the injectors. is it hard to start in the morning ? long crank time to start ? big amount of smoke at start up then clears ? when under load does it also smoke ? Mine had two sets of injectors in it before it reached 90'000 km's. Also know other people who have these vehicles and also had injector problems. Haven't had any problems with injectors since.

Nissan here have told me that the injectors can't handle the quality of Australian fuel, they are thinking with mine they were over fueling also and may have cracked a piston. still a brilliant ute though:rock:

Latest posts

Back