header tank filled with coolant

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onecap

Reaction score
Hello can someone tell me why the header tank would be filled with coolant while the radiator was low on my Navara D22 turbo diesel????...first time this has happened to it ....i have drained the header tank and refilled radiator to see what happens

Thanks Glenn

Have it been overheated at all? If it boils it will push water out of the cap into the bottle until it is full, at which point the bottle will overflow, as it cools down it should pull the water back from the bottle, but sometimes it won't always pull the water back if there is pressure built up in the cooling system.

I'd start with a new radiator cap just to confirm it is pulling water back from the bottle as it should be, if that doesn't help you may have a bigger problem.

I don't recall it getting hot at all but i had changed the coolant a couple of months back maybe it had an air lock ...i think i will just keep an eye on the levels for a while...see what happens, its only done 40000 kms

Glenn

Worst case is blown head gasket. Fill radiator and watch water while the cap is off. If you see bubbles when it is at running temp your system is being pressurised usually by a blown gasket. Otherwise you can pressure test and see if it is losing pressure. If you have done a head gasket it will run like sh#$, get hot and continually push water out of your radiator.

Hope this isn't it! Not cheap to fix.

Latest posts

Back